Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter FM DX-ing?  (Read 1751 times)
K7IHC

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2003, 01:01:06 AM »

How about 6m FM DX-ing? I have a Motorola 110 watt FM rig programmed for 6m ops. I am building a 1/4 wave groundplane antenna for local repeater/simplex ops. Are there hams that specialize in FM DX-ing on 6? I'm assuming they use horizontally-polarized antennas? I will eventually get a small 6m Yagi that can be used either vertical or horizontal. I'd like to get some air time out of this FM rig until I obtain a multi-mode radio that I can SSB on.
CW559

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 07:14:27 AM »

Virtually all activity on 6 meters, or "dx" on any band, is going to be cw, ssb, or some digital mode. Occasionally, some AM activity still can be found. FM is just too noisy and ineffecient. FMers use vertical polarity.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 03:00:31 PM »

Well, there surely is activity on the 6m "simplex calling frequency," 52.525 MHz, and when the band's open, that frequency is quite packed with signals.

When I first got on 6m, it was on 52.525 MHz FM using a GE commercial (police/taxi) base station with a pair of 4-250 tubes running 250W output power, and a Telrex 1/4-wave ground plane.  Using only that, and one crystal frequency, I worked about 40 states in one summer (1965).  

Keyword for all of this is "timing."  6m opens very infrequently, and when it does, of course the first signals in and the last signals out are SSB/CW signals.  It takes 20 dB stronger signals to make an FM contact, so the band's got to really be open!  But, if you monitor 52.525 continuously, activity there will let you know if and when the band opens.

WB2WIK/6
KB8WMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 05:35:52 PM »

I love to work 6 meter FM! I'm running a Alinco DR-M06 hooked up to a cushcraft ARX-6 Which is 27' Vertical the base of it is about 20' from ground level. I'm in SE MI. I don't get very many band opens but it can be quite exciting when I do. Yesturday I worked KD5IYK in OK. In the past I've worked MS, CT, NH, KS, FL, IO, SD, ME. Granted SSB or CW would get you more contacts, but hey it's still fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: