The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Portable HF/VHF/UHF/Digital Kit  (Read 9187 times)
KG4DUF

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »

Assisting with emergency communications does not have to mean a lot of bulky gear that takes a long time to deploy/put away.

With this setup, I am on the air in about 7 minutes (HF/2m/70cm) and can have everything put away just as fast. I am also capable of PSK-31.

All the gear in the video description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6aLo-gQfWQ

73s
Ringo, KG4DUF
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:20:22 PM by KG4DUF » Logged
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »

You would have doubled your number of comments if you had used a drone to provide the video. Wink
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:54:42 AM »

Nice set-up Ringo.
AB1LT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »

Simple beats big and complex every time.  Some of the go-kits I see are pretty over the top.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »

Yeah so OK, you can set up in 7 minutes +/-, but do you really plan to operate your emergency station sitting on the grass in the open with no shelter of any kind or are you going to rely on someone else to bring that kind of stuff for you? Emergency communications could be needed day and night in all kinds of weather, not just sunny days.

Well, I guess that doesn't really matter since you won't be on the air that long with a single 7 Ah battery anyway. According to the display, you are already at 11.8 volts.

From Page 9 of the manual:

...be mindful of the minimum operating (11.73 volts) for the FT-857D. If the battery is not charged sufficiently to maintain at least 11¾ volts at the radio, erratic operation or shut-down may occur

But other than that, the setup looks pretty nice.

If you are not already a member, my other suggestion (for now) would be to join the Polk County ARES group (http://polkares.org/) and find out exactly what kind of field support they need. You will also have to take training classes. They are not just going to let random people show up with a "go kit" and expect them to provide emergency communications with no training. When a "disaster" comes through the area, the authorities who need emergency communications are going to go to them, not you, so you will need to be able to support the types of communications they need, not what you think you need.

But you are on the right foot but you still have quite a ways to go before you can be of any real value in a true emergency.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:30:17 PM by N0IU » Logged
W6ZKH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »

Acouple of suggestions: 1st use at least dual batteries of same size.  I use to run 2 7ah batteries with a FT-857d on my Pedestrian Mobile setup with good results, running less than 20 watts.  2nd is to add some survey marking ribbons to that antenna wire, so people can see it and not ruin your day plus theirs..

John W6ZKH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: