Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reciprocal licencing: U.S. / Thailand is o u t r  (Read 507 times)
KF6VCI

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2003, 08:01:49 PM »

Hi all,

has anyone recently tried to combine holidays in Thailand with some harmless (in my case QRP) operating? - While Thai hams can operate over here without any bureaucratic duties, it is for starters ILLEGAL even to bring a small rig into the country! ** First, it might take a week to obtain an "operating permit" (get written consent with passport, building info etc. for the place you will be staying). Second, then, and no sooner, can you APPLY for an "import licence" for your rig. ** Am I off target, or is this some bum deal "negotiated"? FYI: forget looking for a shop to buy an "approved" radio in Thailand.

What "danger" might arise from someone operating QRP while on holiday? Can anyone explain what the Thai PTD is afraid of?

I understand that there are about 175,000 hams but only about 100 are permitted to use the HF bands. My dream is that soon they all can get their HF ticket and visiting foreigners can operate without jumping through hoops. - Please comment. Mni tnx es 73, Chris kf6vci
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 12:12:05 AM »

I guess the government of a country can set what ever standards they choose and visitors must follow them.  This could be a left over from the Viet Nam war, or a personal quirck of the ruler of the country.

We are used to doing what we want in relative freedom here in the majority of the western world, and find personal restriction of our freedoms some what limiting and unusual.  I've lived in lots of places around the world, but choose to live here.  Thank goodness for the democratic system.

73  tom N6AJR
PE1RLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 09:40:36 AM »

Dear OM Chris,

You are right about it being easier for Thai amateurs to operate in the USA vs The rest of us in Thailand Smiley

However there is a way around this problem if you ask the R.A.S.T. to help you get your documents BEFORE you leave home on a trip to Thailand.
Just check the RAST homepage on http://www.qsl.net/rast/text/LicensingAug6_03.htm
and you will find all the information you need to get on the air here in Thailand without any problems.
The even post a lists of approved rigs Smiley
I have read accounts of people who did it this way and had no problems when the came here.

Brian PE1RLQ Thailand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: