Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DEADBEAT QSLERS  (Read 7208 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 05:05:45 AM »

This is a tough topic. We have all had times when we did not receive a QSL. And lets face it with thousands of DX'ers out there some are going to be bad apples. It seems to me, though, that by in large most DX stations that say they QSL, indeed do.

I could make a list of unreceived QSLs that would be entirely different than the one sited earlier in this topic. (Right now I'm trying to get a QSL from a station it seems everybody else has has no problem with.) In fact many of the stations on that list I have received QSLs from. The same thing happens when I see a "spot" on the DX Summit that includes some comment like "$ collector", "no QSL", or worse and the vast majority of time I have received at least 1, and many times multiple QSLs, from the "offending" station. I know one V5 station gets blasted all the time, but he has verified V5 on many bands for me and I even have a card from him when he operated portable in A2.

I think for the most part stations that say they QSL do. I think we have to much faith in the post office system especially in other countries. And who knows what happens in our own postal system. And it may not be stealing all the time. Who knows where letters end up, in some out of the way corner of a building. In some of these countries the language is so different what we write on the envelope may get misdirected just because a postal worker isn't that familiar with English. I know every time I receive a card from Russia, somebody writes USA in Russian on the envelope coming back to me. While WE think "USA" should be fairly obvious, that must not be the case. Maybe somewhere they are using mail bags with holes in it and half the mail falls out. When you think about it we are probably fortunate to get back what we do. I remember somebody who posts here regularly had all the QSLs he sent to the ARRL for DXCC lost in the return mail and he had them returned registered mail! How does that happen?

On top of that hams are people. At times everyday life takes over (as somebody noted above) and people get real busy. Sometimes a life changing event takes place. And sometimes people get tired and need a break. And then there is the fact that there are as many hams in the US as there are in the rest of the world combined. Look at how many German or Japanese or (fill in most any developed western country) we get.  I'd say if your a ham in another country and your active at all its easy to get overwhelmed at times.

With all that said, its still disappointing when that "new one" or needed card never shows up. Here's what I do:

I use self sealing security envelopes for both sending and receiving.
I tape the back of the envelope along the flap and the sides.
I don't use any call signs and I write out the addresses.
Unless a DX station requests otherwise, I use the standard 98 cent airmail stamp and no commemoratives.
I put the green stamps between the SAE and the QSL.
I follow the DX stations instructions to a "T". (If he says "no IRCs", I don't send IRCs. If he says "IRCs only", I send an IRC. If he says "buro", I use the buro.) And if he says "no QSL", I don't send a QSL.
I use the OOQS whenever available.
I've been fairly successful and (with a few exceptions) I do get the QSL.

Its human nature to want to get our DX cards back as quickly as possible. Especially if its a "new one" or a rare band counter. But I have found out, as many have, the buro works and works well. It just takes a while.

And you can send your card directly to the buro of the DX station or manager and cut the time down dramatically. (and save money) I have found that sending cards directly to the DX buro's results in an average of one year wait (Depends on how active you are too. More activity means more QSLs coming in faster). That's not bad. It usually takes several months for a DXpedition or active DX station anyway. You can find the addresses for all the buro's at the IARU website.

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 07:10:21 AM »

But I have found out, as many have, the buro works and works well. It just takes a while.

Amen to that! I think the buro is the best way.

paul
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »

Lawrence, what is being refered to when you use the grouping "OOQS"?

It is a new one for me, perhaps something I have forgotten due to "OLD TIMERS"

Please you reply, probably won't be able to sleep during my afternoon nap now.

73 Ed
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »

Online QSL Request System. See for instance 5H3EE

You requested to get a direct QSL card of 5H3EE.

Your payment for postage has been arrived. The requested QSO(s) are in log.

I will send the QSL card to you in the next days.

Vy 73 Ron (DL4ME, QSL manager of 5H3EE)
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »

Getting real QSL cards is getting harder all the time. I used to go direct at first, but the cost has ruled that out unless I really want the card. The buro works , but can be slow. I've had this call since 02/14/2003. About 2 months ago I got 4 cards under my old call from the buro. 7 years is along time but I got them. Now I use LOTW as much as possible. It's a little complicated to set up, but once you get that done It works great. I use N3FJP logging programs. They are set up to make the upload very easy. Still there is nothing like coming home and getting a new card in the mail. Makes my day. Good luck. work em first then worry about the log and the card.

73 Joe Patrick DE K4XZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »

Lawrence, what is being refered to when you use the grouping "OOQS"?

It is a new one for me, perhaps something I have forgotten due to "OLD TIMERS"

Please you reply, probably won't be able to sleep during my afternoon nap now.

73 Ed
See AB8MA above (I got my letters wrong - should have been "OQRS").
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »

And Hams that have this problem should speciify on their QRZ page that the Mail is getting stolen and please don't send me any money or QSL cards. I have seen many Hams do that.

So what are you saying, the Ham like 9J2B0 who knows all his mail is getting stolen is off the hook while he lets hundreds if not thousand of people send $2-$3 in wasted cash.
He's just as Guilty if he does not simply spend 5 minutes to warn people on his QRZ page.

WOW!

Which of these do you think is MORE likely?

1. DX station gets your envelope, takes your money, and doesn't send you the QSL?

2. Postal worker in country (like Zambia) KNOWS that Person X (like Brian, 9J2BO) is a Ham and all the postal workers know he gets LOTS envelopes from USA/Europe with $$ inside. Said postal worker takes the envelope home from work, takes the money, and throws away the card. I mention 9J2BO here because I know Brian has had this problem in the past.

I think it is situation #2 99% of the time. Maybe I am just a glass half-full kind of guy  Smiley.

paul
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

I have used this before, it all seems to me like it's becoming a full fledged business. So now we add PayPal into the mix etc.  I guess in 20 years time when a DXepedition goes out they will have a hand dandy Visa Machine with them, just send an encoded burst with Visa Card Info and your QSL card will be on the way the same day.

Online QSL Request System. See for instance 5H3EE

You requested to get a direct QSL card of 5H3EE.

Your payment for postage has been arrived. The requested QSO(s) are in log.

I will send the QSL card to you in the next days.

Vy 73 Ron (DL4ME, QSL manager of 5H3EE)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »

And Hams that have this problem should speciify on their QRZ page that the Mail is getting stolen and please don't send me any money or QSL cards. I have seen many Hams do that.

So what are you saying, the Ham like 9J2B0 who knows all his mail is getting stolen is off the hook while he lets hundreds if not thousand of people send $2-$3 in wasted cash.
He's just as Guilty if he does not simply spend 5 minutes to warn people on his QRZ page.

WOW!

Which of these do you think is MORE likely?

1. DX station gets your envelope, takes your money, and doesn't send you the QSL?

2. Postal worker in country (like Zambia) KNOWS that Person X (like Brian, 9J2BO) is a Ham and all the postal workers know he gets LOTS envelopes from USA/Europe with $$ inside. Said postal worker takes the envelope home from work, takes the money, and throws away the card. I mention 9J2BO here because I know Brian has had this problem in the past.

I think it is situation #2 99% of the time. Maybe I am just a glass half-full kind of guy  Smiley.

paul

9J2BO has had a QSL manager in the UK for quite some time now.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »

Maybe I was thinking of someone else in Southern Africa, maybe V51AS. But I have all my kids from Frank now.

paul
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

If a card is sent to you, send back. Forget SASE and the bureaus. Satellite ops have for years sent cards as post type, no SASE and get regular returns. If you don't get a reply all that is lost is postage for a post card and the card.

Your PO must be better than mine. I tried that. My name and address were in small
print on the front of the card, under my call, which was in large letters.
Of course the back was the QSO info box, and room for comments,
an address, and postage. Mailed off some off like that AS POST CARDS,
as you did. They were back in my mailbox the next day. I put them in a stack with the postage
and address sides all up and made the "TO:" heavier with a magic marker. Qsl cards were
in my box again the next day AGAIN. Wrote the mailman a note explaining the problem, AND:
"Mail is to be delivered to the address on the side of the envelope or card to which the POSTAGE IS AFFIXED".  
Yep, you guessed it, got them back again two days later.
Mailed the whole lot to the local Postmaster and explained the story.
His reply? "Why do you have your address on these cards and what are they for?"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:40:43 PM by AD6KA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: