Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gentlemanly DXers  (Read 965 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2003, 09:33:47 AM »

I saw the "rudeness" thread earlier; I posted this to our local newsgroup the other day but thought it might be worth sharing here as well:

SOW, I heard something yesterday that amazed me.  I was listening to the Palmyra guys on 15 meters.  They were working split, and someone came up on their transmitting frequency, whistling into the mike and saying "helloooooOOOOoooo"--did it for several
minutes.  Of course, people are shouting back, "He's SPLIT!" and "You're QRMing the DX!"  This guy kept going, and I assumed he was deliberately doing it and pretending not to know.

After a few minutes, he suddenly gave his callsign (I won't repeat it to save him more embarrassment) and said, "Gentlemen, I'm VERY sorry--I had the 'split' button pressed!  I apologize for the interference!"  And he gave his calllsign again.

Suddenly the frequency was quiet again--and one other ham keyed up and said, "No problem, OM--we've all made that mistake one time or another."  Wasn't that a nice gesture?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 10:57:37 AM »

There were two nice gestures here -

The gentleman identifying himself and apologizing and the fellow who responded.

Everyone make mistakes now and then, but we often never remember the ones WE make. Smiley

Lon
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:34:21 PM »

Sometimes the DX station gets their VFO's mixed up!  That happened this morning on 80m.  The station gave instructions to call "up," but would come back to you on a different frequency.  This was one time my 125 Hz I.F. filter worked to my disadvantage!

N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 03:34:23 PM »

It is nice to see someone with the courage to admit their mistake and make a quick explanation to others effected by it.  Usually the frequency police are the rudest bunch in the pile-up.  I know I’ve been guilty of it myself.  When the pile-up gets to me… and I want to choke somebody, I usually walk away and do something else for an hour or so.  Maybe that’s why I’m not on the radio as much anymore, Ha.  Wish everyone success in making their Dx  contacts the next couple of weeks.

Ray
ON4MGY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 08:16:34 AM »

Everyone can make a mistake, we have to live with that. But why are people trying to tune while shouting endless olaaaaaaaa or halloooooooooooooo on an occupied frequency? I just put a constant (low power) CW-carrier for a couple of seconds and my antenna is tuned. And I always make sure I'm on free frequency when I'm doing that.
The biggest mistake the op made is not tuning on the wrong frequency, but a wrong way of tuning.

73 and good dx to all

ON4MGY Nic
STATICXD00D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 08:54:49 AM »

I wholeheartedly agree. I just upgraded and have just barely started my DXing career. I haven't read any books on the subject, but a fellow ham who has been DXing for quite a while now gave me one single piece of advice. Listen, listen, listen, then listen some more. Anyway, I've been trying to snag contacts on all the bands where I can (I'm just a General right now... already seeing that I need to get Extra for this job), and I've logged about 30 contacts so far.

From day one, common sense told me not to tune up on frequency. Your SWR will not change over 3-5kHz of the band. I tune 3-5k away from the pileup, drop my power to as low as it will go, get the tuner set to 1.1, run the power up to 100, hit the key once for about 1/4 sec to make sure it's still acceptable (probably unnecessary, but makes me happy), then tune back to the DX. Every time I'm sitting there listening to the pileup, and all of a sudden my ears are blasted with a CW tone that pegs my meter at S9+40, I am amazed at how inconsiderate other DXers can be. Is it really that much more work to turn the knob a half an inch to tune up to prevent QRMing the pileup? Maybe some of you long-time DXers can help me out here. Is it that beneficial to breaking the pileup that it's worth tuning up on frequency? I've still managed to get in there using my method, including T32! (Which was my 3rd DX contact, BTW... I about fell out of the chair when he responded to my call!)

73, and please be considerate when tuning.

John N1JAC
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 06:29:40 PM »

N1JAC:
John, congrats on getting the T32!  You are correct in choosing a clear frequency and using low power to "tune-up," if indeed any tuning is necessary.  Unless your antenna has an exceptionally narrow bandwidth (a high-Q loop, or a vertical with an extremely efficient ground system) you should be able to make frequency excursions 20 to 100 KHz or more from the frequency where you tuned your amplifier and/or adjusted your trans-match.  I keep a chart for my amplifier plate and load control settings and only very rarely do I put a carrier on the air to check these.

The next time you hear a carrier on top of your favorite pile-up, listen carefully to see if the signal varies at all.  If the signal level doesn't vary noticeably, then that "tuning" exercise didn't accomplish anything!

73 de Chuck  NI0C

STATICXD00D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 08:20:06 PM »

Yeah, thanks Chuck! I need to write down the settings for the bands, but I just haven't done it yet. I get too excited about working the station to bother with keeping track of tuner settings! LOL You're right though, I do need to make a "template" to start with. And I have noticed what you're talking about when you hear the guy tuning, because I've sat there and watched my S-meter go from S8 to +30, and I sit there and yell at the radio, "STOP THERE! YOU'VE GOT IT! NO! YOU'RE GOING BACK... YOU HAD IT, GO BACK! THERE! STOP! GOOD GRIEF..." LOL

I also follow your thoughts on re-tuning. I only re-tune if I switch bands. From what I've seen so far, my G5RV doesn't need any tuning at all in the same band. I guess maybe if I went from one end of 10 meters to the other it might be an issue... but on 10 from what I've seen when it's open the contacts are all in that same small 100kHz portion of the band, lately in the 28400-28500 portion, generally.

However, when I switch from say 10 to 20, then yes, re-tuning is a must. I normally find a dead spot in the middle of the section I can use, on 20 say around 14280ish, and follow the quick, low-power tune I described above. I'm confident my reflected isn't going to get high enough to worry about between 225 and 350 if I tune at 280, if it will even change at all.
KJ7WY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 02:32:00 AM »

Today I saw the best and worst of DXers. The worst was trying to work TO4E (Europa) on 30 meters. TO4E was calling North America and Oceania but European QRM nigated their comminication with us. This continued until they QSY'd to another frequency to work only Europe (sig!)

The best was that I was trying to work Europe on 160 meters. This is very difficult. Station in the Eastern part of North America could have called to work the European stations but hearing my call they held back allowing only me to try for the QSO. I wish to thank each of them but I guess it is to be expected on the Gentleman's Band!
73's Pete KJ7WY
W5JVQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 11:11:47 PM »

it would be better to just use a dummy load then switch to your antenna and check the reflected power.  Ok
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: