The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-590S firmware update Windows 10  (Read 4855 times)
W8VVE

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:34 AM »

I am wanting to update a TS-590S firmware but do not see Win 10 mentioned in the instructions.
Wondering if anyone has used Win 10 to update the firmware?  73...Sam W8VVE
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE...I found the Win 10 driver...disregard this post...Sam W8VVE
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:37:16 PM by W8VVE » Logged
KG0EW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »

Hi Sam,
I just purchased a Win10 computer, and I hit a snag when attempting to install the USB to UART com port driver: Win10 doesn't show any Ports in the Device Manage menu.  I went ahead with the installation, but I sill don't see ports, nor can I tell if the software is installed. The Kenwood instructions for using ARCP-590 warn to have the Com Port driver installed before connecting the USB cable between the radio and the computer, so I'm a bit reluctant to do anything more until I know I have a com port configured correctly.  How did you solve this issue?
THANKS!
David, KG0EW
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »

David,

Windows will not display the port in Device Manager until the USB cable is connected.  As long as you have installed the Kenwood software as described below, you can connect the USB cable.  Windows will detect the new USB device and will automatically load the Silicon Laboratories CP210x driver.  The Port will then show up in Device Manager as a "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge".

When a USB device is first plugged in, Windows tries to find a matching driver based on a device hardware ID.  Windows will load the wrong driver if it cannot find the Kenwood driver.  The generic driver doesn't work with the radio.  Once Windows loads a generic driver and is happy, it will not replace it with another driver if you install the correct driver later.  You can fix that, but it's not as easy.

Kenwood driver installation:
Go to the virtual comm port driver installation page at http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/vcp_e.html.  Ignore that it doesn't mention Windows 10 because the driver works fine on the new OS.  Download and install the CP210x driver. After you install the driver, reboot your computer.  Plug in the USB connection and Windows should load the correct driver.

In case of trouble:
If you already installed the CP210x driver but things aren't working because Windows loaded the wrong driver, try this with the Kenwood connected to the computer.
- Open Control Panel
- Open Hardware and Sound
- Open Device Manager
- Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) section
- Right click on each COM port device in turn, select Properties, select the Details tab, then select Hardware IDs from the Properties bar
- Find the device with the hardware ID equal to USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA60&REV_0100
- If you have a TS-590SG or a TS-990S, the hardware ID may be different.  You may need to unplug and replug the USB cable to see which port goes away and comes back...

Once you identify which port belongs to the Kenwood, you can try two different methods to install the correct driver, assuming you have the CP210x software installed on your system.
Method 1
- Right click on the device
- Select "Update Driver Software"
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
- Select "Let me pick from a list..."
- Uncheck the "Show compatible hardware" box
- Scroll down the Manufacturer list and select Silicon Laboratories
- Select the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge
- Click the "Next" button and load the driver

Method 2
- Right click on the device
- Select Uninstall
- Turn off the radio and unplug the USB cable
- Do not check "Delete the driver software for this device".
- Check OK
- Reinstall the Kenwood CP210x software
- Reboot the computer
- Plug in the Kenwood
- The correct driver should be automatically loaded

To do the same things in Device Manager without the radio connected, click on View and select "Show hidden devices".

Bob, K0BT
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:04:46 PM by K0BT » Logged
AE7VA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:53 PM »

I had no problems running Windows 10 and updating my TS-590S to firmware Version 2.01.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: