The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount for remote head  (Read 5224 times)
KG5ELA

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »

This isn't something I have seen before so I just wanted to get your opinion on this mount. It won't exactly be a hard mount but it will be fixed. One pic below shows what my truck looks like. It isn't my truck but mine is exactly the same. If you look right under the climate controls there is a little cubby hole. Standard mounting would basically have it flush mounted with the opening, but I don't like that. The reason being is that I cannot fully see the display. I miss about the top 20%. So what I want to do is to mount it on some aluminum sheetmetal that is bent to fit inside the cubby hole and will also angle the head up so I can see the whole thing. It should be a press fit with, possibly, some velcro on the back to keep it from sliding out, yet if I want to remove it, it would be fairly easy to do. I also want to extend the part the it is mounted on so I can also mount the mic holder.

Tim
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »

My choice would be the little coin tray just over the radio.  It would be safer to have the display nearer to eye level for use while driving.  Chances are you can slide the radio out of the dash and run the remote cable behind it and still have room to push it all the way back in.  Just be sure to mount the mic hanger out of the way of the expanding air bag.  If you plan on keeping the truck for a while the little holes in the coin tray won't matter much at trade in.  After all you ARE drilling a hole for the antenna, aren't you?

Allan - N4NLQ
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »

I have a GPS mounted in the coin tray. I am also NOT drilling a hole to mount the antenna on the roof. I have a magmount right now and I am always hitting things with it or having to get out and remove it when I park under a tree at work (it gets a bit warm here in Texas). I have the trak system in the bed and I plan on using that to mount my antenna to.

Still debating on antennas but I have a Quad Band unit so I want to also get a Quad Band Antenna. That too will drive up the height. When I go thru some of the drive thrus the Height is only 9'-0" and I whack the antenna on it. To add to a reason to not mount the radio head up high, I want to keep it out of prying eyes. Yes, you can still see it but it isn't like it is poking up in the air inviting people to come mess with it. I just like the clean look too with it not being up high.

Tim
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »

What a shame, as it is really easy to mount an antenna on a Nissan pickup. And a quarter wave on top will work better than a gain one mounted on a bed rail. Howell. To each his own.

KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »

Is there a quarter wave quad band antenna? I know of two antennas, a Comet UHV-4 and a Diamond CR-9800. I know there are a couple of others but they are a min. of 50". Besides, like I mentioned, I hate having to get out and remove and install my antenna twice a day. The tree I park under comes to within about 6 inches from the roof of my truck.

Tim
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »

So what about this. What if I got a 1/4 wave dual bander for 2m/70cm and later built an antenna to cover 6m/10m? I would guess that I would then have to have a diplexer to connect both antennas.

Tim
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »

Have you considered a Lido seat-bolt mount?

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/4979410.htm

I use on in my Subaru for the control head of my Kenwood radio and it works fine.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »

Well, true. But way too much stock is put into operating 6 and 10 meters repeaters. Here in Roswell, I haven't heard anything on 6 meters for several months, except for two very short opening. Neither of which was good enough to do FM. And 10 meters? I listen daily, and to refer to it as stinky, is an understatement. Yes, it opens occasionally, but things have to be really good before FM is usable on either 6 or 10.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »

I built a similar mount for a hole in the dash on my wife's Saturn.

I used 1x2 wood furring strips - one lengthwise screwed to the back of the mount (but that
could be modified to wedge it into the hole instead with a second piece crosswise to support
the mount for the control head.  It was quick and simple.

The actual mounting bracket was also home-made, and I've made a couple others since then.
I used 3 1" metal corner brackets:  one leg was screwed to the wood and the other was
covered with black heatshrink tubing, with the tip bent slightly concave.  With a bit of care
in where the mounting screws went I could slip the control head in from one end, but once in
place it held it securely (the bent tips prevented it from being pull out straight back.)  

But if you have the mounting bracket already you can adjust the angle of the wood on which
it is mounted to meet your needs.
K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »

I used a decorative three position electric wall switch plastic cover (LOWES) that came is majic black with designs in it.  ALmost match the console trim perfect on my F150 truck.   Then I used VELCO to attach the control head to the plate for both my ICOM IC706MKII and 2m/440 FM unit.

I also used VELCO to hold the panel is place at an angle...    Worked out great for my install and is very easy to remove if I need to get behind it...   No hole drilled anywhere and is very solid mount...

My two radio units are mounted under the back seat of my supercab truck...

My two 2m/440 antennas are mounted to the rear door edge that opens out into the traffic with the small RG cable running into the truck down the door weather rubber seal.

My TARHEEL LIL TARTHEEL screwdriver is mounted about a foot from the rear window on the truck bed drivers side side rail...

I tapped into the battery terminals and ran a 4AWG cable to a BLUE SEA FUSE BLOCK ASSY on the motor side firewall.  Then from there I came into the through a rubber existing hole I had to punch out which allows the a 4AWG cable to run down into the door cable path in the floor under the doors which goes directly to the back seat area.   This terminates into a BLUE SEA 12VDC SUB PANEL which has multiple fused #10 ring terminal connection points.  This is where I terminate the DC cables that came with the radios to get 12VDC power.

My two speakers ended up being the KENWOOD KES5 mobile speakers which are mounted in the side glove compartment in the front drivers door.   Wiring to the control heads are completely out sight running along the door hinges to the remote control head area...  

All went together rather nice...   Been using BLUE SEA MARINE 12VDC PRODUCTS for all of my Radio Installs for years...

Roy Ken
k9pht - King George VA...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:29:42 PM by K9PHT » Logged
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 03:49:18 AM »

I use on in my Subaru for the control head of my Kenwood radio and it works fine.
I also use the Lido seat bolt mount in my F-150 to mount the remote head of my FT-8900 mobile. I also have the Lido cup holder mount I use when I mount my HT in the truck and my only complaint with it is that it crowds the other cup holder.
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »

How solid is that mount? It would seem like it would move around when pushing the buttons.

Tim
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »

Well, true. But way too much stock is put into operating 6 and 10 meters repeaters. Here in Roswell, I haven't heard anything on 6 meters for several months, except for two very short opening. Neither of which was good enough to do FM. And 10 meters? I listen daily, and to refer to it as stinky, is an understatement. Yes, it opens occasionally, but things have to be really good before FM is usable on either 6 or 10.

I have no idea how much they are used here. I know there are three or four 6 meter repeaters here.

Tim
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 06:32:49 AM »

Roy, how's that Velcro hold up with the heat?

Tim
K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »

Mine is not mounted up high on the dash but down on the small catch-all area.  coins etc...  This is where my console between the two seats meets the dash console area...  Have not had any problems with the VELCO.    Actually it is pretty hard to pull away when you want to do something behind the three gang switch wall plate I got from LOWES...  My truck has a few connections on the bottom of the console for various things...   Since the wall plate is at an angle I can almost reach behind the panel and make connections but its easier to just pull the plate down...

I have a bit more room it appears from your photo but you might squeeze it in place...   Some folks like the control heads to be on top of the dash to get better view...    Mine does ok for me being down on the end of the seat console area.

ALso at the very top of the dash console I have a small open area for some kind of panel display I guess - nothing in it. It turned out to be a great place for one of the portable SPEAKERS that have great audio quality.  I use the small speaker plugged into my cellphone headphone out connector.   Great sound when downstreaming the internet radio scanner APP I use all the time for a great RADIO SCANNER using BROADCASTIFY...   You should really try this APP out from your cellphone... Called radio scanner...

Photo shows the IC-706MKII control head on the top and the 2m/440 FM unit (forgot the brand name) control head on the bottom...

My cellphone grip hold is using double sided tape to hold to the flat area on the dash.   No problem with that as well.  I also have the SCREWDRIVER ANTENNA up-down control switch  (not seen here) in this area using double sided tape...   the hanging microphone hangers are on the side of the seat console next to my right leg.   The two KENWOOD AES 5 Speakers are in the door side pocket next to my left leg...    I like having the speakers under the seat but they were too high so had to put them in the side door pocket mounted on top of piece of wood...

Roy Ken
k9pht-King George VA

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:10:06 AM by K9PHT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: