The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount for remote head  (Read 4957 times)
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

I've said it on this board lots of times.....

BRODIT PROCLIP MOUNT. They are custom made for each vehicle, require no holes drilling, can easily be removed and I use one for a Kenwood TS480 head which is the heaviest one you will ever come across.

Post me the make, model and year of your vehicle and I'll give you the links to the options.

Here's the one I use for my car...

and the actual photo with the head unit on which as you can see keeps it nice and clear and easy to see/use...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:00:07 AM by M0GVZ » Logged
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »

That does look pretty cool. I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier CC and the unit is a Yaesu FT8900.

Tim
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »

Here you go....you simply screw the head bracket onto these. If you click on the link it shows how each one is installed.

Brodit Proclip 853613

or
Brodit Proclip 853614
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »

Cool. So how does the remote head bracket mount on that?

Tim
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »

Have you considered a Lido seat-bolt mount?

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/4979410.htm

I use on in my Subaru for the control head of my Kenwood radio and it works fine.

How solid is that mount? It would seem like it would move around when pushing the buttons.

It doesn't move much, but then again the buttons don't require much force.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »

Cool. So how does the remote head bracket mount on that?

You screw it to it.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »

Have you considered a Lido seat-bolt mount?

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/4979410.htm

I use on in my Subaru for the control head of my Kenwood radio and it works fine.

I initially started with a Lido seat-bolt mount in my truck, but found I had to look away from the road to see it.  I then got a Lido mount that sticks to the top of the dash.  Much better.

Seat-bolt mount:

Dash mount:

When I started driving my wife's SUV (she got another car) I moved the radio over, but the mandate was "no holes..."  The radio went under the passenger seat and the control head mount was stuck to the top of the center dash with double sided tape.  Works fine...

KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

Well I certainly have a lot to think about. I appreciate all of the options. Some of which I didn't even know were there. I have some time to think on it till I get all the connectors and wire to run the power. If I do decide to mount it up higher, like in the case with the Brodit on top of the dash, then I have to figure out how I could do it without dragging the wires around and keeping them hidden.

Tim
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »

One great thing about a seat mount is that you can so easily move it around per your preferences after installation.  I got this 22ā€ mount (mounted on the left side of the passenger seat) for the ICOM IC-7000 control head in my Accord:

http://www.gpscheap.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=95898&affiliateid=10075&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGemb7xCI1iltVPVBpl6bJ-25KhXOQfYkfYmz5Gux8-MaAmoW8P8HAQ

I got the 22ā€ mount because I wanted the radio control head up higher than a shorter mount would allow.  After installation, I adjusted its position so I can control the radio with my arm on the armrest, which is really nice when Iā€™m tuning thru the bands on a long trip.   The mount is stable enough for me to push the radio buttons with no problem. 
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »

Shoot man, another cool one. Thanks.

Tim
K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »

Another thing I do a lot is use BLUETOOTH wireless ear bud in my left ear which listens to the selected radio all the time..   Wife will be listening to the FM radio when she is along with me...

Then I have pushbutton shirt mike to talk with or just grab the handheld mike...

The blue tooth has excellent range in and out of the truck...

We usually park and eat good at some of the nice rest stops and the Wireless ear piece works like champ letting me still monitor my IC-706 outside the truck and not bother any one else along with us....

Roy Ken
k9pht - King George VA
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:25:34 PM by K9PHT » Logged
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »

If I do decide to mount it up higher, like in the case with the Brodit on top of the dash, then I have to figure out how I could do it without dragging the wires around and keeping them hidden.

You have to take the interior apart to some extent. On my car I had to take off the weather seal around the doors, the plastic trim behind them and run the cables down there.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: