The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XP update hack  (Read 10055 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 06:39:34 AM »

As I have said, I still receive security updates from microsoft. My antivirus is up to date, I have had Malwarebytes for 3 years (up to date ), I dont use Internet Explorer. A third party firewall that doesnt allow outgoing "phone home" vunerabilities.
Just because you haven't heard of any reverse hacking on 8 or 10 doesnt mean it cannot happen. All I see is a wide open barn door ready for exploitation

I follow a lot of tech threads/streams and not issues and none likely. It is far from as open as you think. With each new version of Windows MS ups security. BTW, XP was never designed or considered to be a secure OS by MS. MS started focusing more on security with Vista and beyond. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »

I won't use 10. Most users and comments are that it is self hacking. Meaning it's so full of holes that the bad guys don't have to invent stuff they just exploit the sloppy code already there. Since XP was patched up until 2 years ago and was considered a mature OS, I think that it's no more or no less secure than 10 which is not mature. Mature meaning that most of the flaws have been fixed, patched, or eliminated from the OS. 10 is just too new. 10 is also a memory hog like most windows products and is very clunky on most of the marginal machines it ships on like WinBooks, Asus to name some.

In the fed gov qworl we don;t use 10 becasue it's considered not mature enough. We use 7 and 8, Mac and Linux builds.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »

Since XP was patched up until 2 years ago and was considered a mature OS, I think that it's no more or no less secure than 10 which is not mature. 

Flaws/glitches/maturity and security issues are two different things. There is a lot of new security threats in last few years that XP has not been patched for and some of them pretty bad. To suggest that unsupported XP is as secure as 8 or 10 is very misguided.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »

Since XP was patched up until 2 years ago and was considered a mature OS, I think that it's no more or no less secure than 10 which is not mature. 

Flaws/glitches/maturity and security issues are two different things. There is a lot of new security threats in last few years that XP has not been patched for and some of them pretty bad. To suggest that unsupported XP is as secure as 8 or 10 is very misguided.

That's kind of a misleading statement.  Most security hacks involve someone getting software onto your machine either via a email attachment or a webpage with Flash code or some other executable on that malicious page.   Almost none of these are blocked by the OS itself but instead by antivirus software and also by search engines like google that identify websites that have malicious code and remove or block them from the list.   Secondly XP is not even on most hackers radars right now, it no longer of interests to most of them.   Windows 10 on the other hand is very interesting to all of them, just like the release of a new IOS they just cannot wait to have bragging rights to finding exploits.   I agree with K4PIH that the level of control that Microsoft has given themselves with Win10 is something that is really worrying, if MS created so many back doors that it can literally reconfigure the OS into anything they want, I would imagine that it's only a matter of time before hackers start to use those same back doors.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »

Almost none of these are blocked by the OS itself but instead by antivirus software and also by search engines like google that identify websites that have malicious code and remove or block them from the list. 

You need to tell MS they have it all wrong and stop patching OS.   

Secondly XP is not even on most hackers radars right now, it no longer of interests to most of them. 

Sadly mistaken again. Hackers from web sites look for vulnerabilities to exploit and it can even be a new OS that has not been patched yet like Vista or 7. If you think XP gets a pass from hackers you really have your head in the sand. 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

Almost none of these are blocked by the OS itself but instead by antivirus software and also by search engines like google that identify websites that have malicious code and remove or block them from the list. 

MS needs to stop releasing beta code to the public and then spending the next two years fixing it.

Secondly XP is not even on most hackers radars right now, it no longer of interests to most of them. 

Sadly mistaken again. Hackers from web sites look for vulnerabilities to exploit and it can even be a new OS that has not been patched yet like Vista or 7. If you think XP gets a pass from hackers you really have your head in the sand. 

You do understand how most hackers hack a computer right?
If your router closes all ports except 80 and your mail ports, it's almost impossible to get in. They typically need you to let them in by getting some piece of software onto your PC that opens a port on your computer and initiates contact to grant them access. Or you have to have a uPnP service open for other devices.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »

MS needs to stop releasing beta code to the public and then spending the next two years fixing it.

You do understand how most hackers hack a computer right?
If your router closes all ports except 80 and your mail ports, it's almost impossible to get in. They typically need you to let them in by getting some piece of software onto your PC that opens a port on your computer and initiates contact to grant them access. Or you have to have a uPnP service open for other devices.

You do understand that the bigger general threat is Internet apps  and web site right (or are you sleeping there too) For home users it is a far bigger threat and XP is not good there. Very very few hackers go after individual users unless it is because of web software that open door for them and created a path to follow.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »

You do understand that the bigger general threat is Internet apps  and web site right (or are you sleeping there too) For home users it is a far bigger threat and XP is not good there. Very very few hackers go after individual users unless it is because of web software that open door for them and created a path to follow.

Your just repeating what I said earlier. 

I stated:

1) You would need to go to a webpage that is running malicious designed code like Flash or Java

2) Software on your PC is what will open the door for a hacker.

I think you need to wake up and read my posts before you respond with the same statements.

A person who is running XP and only goes to clean websites like eHam or QRZ or 98% of regular sites will have no problems.  If they open emails that come from well known sources like Amazon or eBay etc they will also have no problems.

BTW so I you don't repeat this part again,  search engines like Google are very good at warning you if a site has malicious code.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:55 AM »

A person who is running XP and only goes to clean websites like eHam or QRZ or 98% of regular sites will have no problems.  If they open emails that come from well known sources like Amazon or eBay etc they will also have no problems.

A person that uses XP on web regularly is VERY foolish and kidding themselves it is safe. They are playing Russian Roulette and adding a extra bullet from time to time and one day all the chambers will be full and it will go off when you pull the trigger on the web. Some like MJR are in total denial and want to stay in past.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »

A person that uses XP on web regularly is VERY foolish and kidding themselves it is safe. They are playing Russian Roulette and adding a extra bullet from time to time and one day all the chambers will be full and it will go off when you pull the trigger on the web. Some like MJR are in total denial and want to stay in past.

FUD, FUD, FUD
Change the record John

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 06:27:21 AM »

FUD, FUD, FUD
Change the record John

When they change the XP is safe record.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 12:20:54 AM »

end up with a door stop

Enough with the fear mongering you turd.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 12:22:06 AM »

FUD, FUD, FUD
Change the record John

What's your damn angle?  Be honest for once, you work for MS.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:46 AM »

FUD, FUD, FUD
Change the record John

What's your damn angle?  Be honest for once, you work for MS.

My angle is this is 2015 not 90's when XP was conceived. Times changed as has hardware and threats. XP was maybe great 15 years ago but a security liability today. I used to do IT support and used to attend MS briefings for many years to stay in loop and I understand the threats yesterday and today and limitations of XP too.

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:22 PM »

If you want to safely play with XP online (or with your copy of XP which you're trying to get to emulate POSReady2009), do the following:

1) Install a console version of Linux on a dedicated VM host;

2) Install your favorite supported hypervisor and VM converter software on the VM host;

3) Attach to the XP system via the converter software, import it as a VM into your hypervisor;

4) Make a backup copy of the XP VM image;

5) Start up the working copy and have at it. Should something compromise the live image, simply power it off, delete it and make another working copy from your backup.

I threw out the use of a console-based hypervisor host from a resource standpoint. If you're running a fairly modern multiprocessor PC with a decent amount of RAM installed you can run the hypervisor in GUI (e.g., Windows hosted) mode without sacrificing too much in terms of performance. 

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: