The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Certification  (Read 3984 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »

To anyone with any knowledge on the subject of Microsoft Certification.....
Can you tell me,
Is it one large course, or many small units?
If comprised of smaller parts, what would the first required class name/description be called??
I am thinking this will soon be required for me, I would like to start researching it to see where near me
it may be taken.  Perhaps a college's online training??
Thanks for any input!!!
....Dave  KD2E
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »

I used to have one many years ago. There are several. There is a MSE (microsoft systems engineer) thats a good starting point. I would suggest you join MS's TechNet and sign up for briefings in your area as they can be very informative and with some free give aways too. I used to be active in both but I am not anymore. Technet gives you a lot of inside info and training options and loads of "free" software. It cost 200/yr when I was a member.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:24:13 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

The value of certifications has taken a hit over the last decade or so. HR still loves them but IT managers have learned to be skeptical of certs; especially certs without verifiable experience. Too many "certification boot camps" have sprung up for us to not be wary. But HR people love certifications so if you're in the Microsoft camp you will need to have at least an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert). These certifications are often limited in products and operating systems so you could be certified in MS Windows 7 but would need a new cert for Server 2013 (for instance).

Linux has few "certs" and jobs in Linux tend to be more competence-based. If your name is listed as a contributor to an open-source project that is likely to be more important than a certification. Many Linux jobs say something like "Degree in engineering or computer science or equivalent experience". In general, Linux jobs pay better than the MS jobs; mostly because there are fewer technical experts in Linux.

Do not rely on having a certification. If you do not have a thorough understanding then you are likely to not be able to do your job. I have fired more than a couple systems people with certifications because they were incompetent; including one with a Cisco cert.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »

Do not rely on having a certification. If you do not have a thorough understanding then you are likely to not be able to do your job. I have fired more than a couple systems people with certifications because they were incompetent; including one with a Cisco cert.

Applause....

MCSE = "Make Coffee - Send Errand"

Might be useful getting past HR. But it's a world of pain if you cannot strap it on for real.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

Applause....

Might be useful getting past HR. But it's a world of pain if you cannot strap it on for real.

+1

As an IT manager, I've learned when looking for prospective team members, multiple groups of letters after a candidate's name are often a red flag.

A bullet pointed resume with verifiable development and support experience, on-time, in-budget project deliverables with dead on requirements being met will garner an interview with me a hell of a lot faster than a bucket full of alphabet jumbles after one's name.

Don N4TTS
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:47:25 PM by N4TTS » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »

Too many "certification boot camps" have sprung up for us to not be wary.

I am old enough to remember when "schools" were training individuals to memorize the FCC tests for First and Second Class FCC radiotelephone licenses.  They sure cheapened the value of holding a ticket back in those days, when a ticket was key to many good careers.

Pete
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »

Too many "certification boot camps" have sprung up for us to not be wary.

I am old enough to remember when "schools" were training individuals to memorize the FCC tests for First and Second Class FCC radiotelephone licenses.  They sure cheapened the value of holding a ticket back in those days, when a ticket was key to many good careers.

Pete

When they declared Radio Officers to be redundant and required only a GMDSS certificate, shipping companies started sending their deck officers to a week long "boot camp" so they could get their certs; I often wondered just how safe the crew felt. A lot of lives were saved by a radio officer logging the SOS and then informing the Old Man so there was no chance they could just continue on course and ignore it.

Craig
K7EXJ

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »

Applause....

+1 also
I have seen people who are certified who knew less about MS OS than my 12 year old nephews.  Learning about computers/servers is a trial by fire.  You have to face problems and spend hours trying to figure out the solutions before it typically sticks in your brain.  A quick read in a book offers almost no real help.  Best techs are those that have been through a few years of experience and then did the certification just for the Square of TP to put in their resume folder.  When someone shows us that they are MCSE etc. we then start to ask real world questions and that tends to throw 80% of them into a tail dive.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »

Applause....

+1 also
I have seen people who are certified who knew less about MS OS than my 12 year old nephews.  Learning about computers/servers is a trial by fire.  You have to face problems and spend hours trying to figure out the solutions before it typically sticks in your brain.  A quick read in a book offers almost no real help.  Best techs are those that have been through a few years of experience and then did the certification just for the Square of TP to put in their resume folder.  When someone shows us that they are MCSE etc. we then start to ask real world questions and that tends to throw 80% of them into a tail dive.

73s
Rob

There is merit to this but, education plus OJT experience together makes a better IT person. Certification gives you a foundation, you then need to build on it with experience. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: