The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up on Open Office  (Read 6277 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »

I gave Open office a fair shake and used it exclusively on one laptop here for several months and even uninstalled Office on it too. I reinstalled Office and dumped Open Office. It just does not have the polish and features of MS Office and with some of the complex invoicing sheet and formulas I generate with Excel they do not render correctly on open office on screen. I use Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 here.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »

Did you try LibreOffice instead?  Much more up-to-date and MSOffice-compatible.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »

Yes, the up to date free software is LibreOffice...OO is no longer supported as I understand it.

However I have used OO and Libre Office in a professional capacity and both do all I need...yes, I also have used the dismal Word.

Take a good look at LibreOffice (free, why not?) before you fall into the MS pit.

JMO

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »

To each his own for sure,

As far as judging goes, it would be hard to expect any program to be able to render complex spreadsheets or datasets written in a different software package.  Polish and features are up to the user to decide of course.

Personally, I can't stand the ribbon thing, and can manage all my spreadsheets and writing using LibreOffice so it works better for me.

Who knows how long it will last though, because each new version seems to add more and more of the annoying "features" of MS Office.  I can type, spell, and write -- I don't need some software to offer (usually wrong) suggestions.

Mark

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »

LibreOffice gets more compatible with MSOffice with each release (currently 5.0), but there are issues with complex spreadsheets, including scripting, as well as outline numbering in the word processor.  The latter is also an issue between versions of Word as well.

I've also heard that OpenOffice is no longer maintained by Apache, but their website says otherwise.  How well-maintained it is, however, is another story.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »

It just does not have the polish and features of MS Office...

I just don't understand why people complain about a FREE program when it doesn't measure up to the standards of a paid version. You got what you paid for it!
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »

I gave Open office a fair shake
Yeah. Sure.
and used it exclusively on one laptop here for several months and even uninstalled Office on it too. I reinstalled Office and dumped Open Office. It just does not have the polish and features of MS Office and with some of the complex invoicing sheet and formulas I generate with Excel they do not render correctly on open office on screen. I use Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 here.

Why would you expect OO to have 100% compatibility with complex Excel worksheets?

A fair shake would to have actually learned to use OO. Learn to recreate your formulas. Learn OO's programming language. FYI, these days LibreOffice seems to be much more actively developed than OO.

And, AGAIN, OO/LO is used by levels of governments, companies and people all over the world. I am fairly sure some of them produce at least as complex documents as you do.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »

It just does not have the polish and features of MS Office...

I just don't understand why people complain about a FREE program when it doesn't measure up to the standards of a paid version. You got what you paid for it!

Very true. I have not tried Libre Office. Older versions of MS Office can be had cheaper. Office 2007 is good for 2 more years and 2010 for at least 5 more. No need to get latest and most expensive office if you want to use it. I actual started with Lotus 123 over 20 years ago. I continued to use if for several years after they year 2000 but moved all my templates and sheets to Office when 2007 came out.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

I have not tried Libre Office. Older versions of MS Office can be had cheaper.

How can anything be cheaper than free?  Or is Microsoft paying people to use MSOffice these days? Grin

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:38:21 PM »

How can anything be cheaper than free?  Or is Microsoft paying people to use MSOffice these days? Grin

I do not mind paying for something that works well. I use full suite with Outlook, Access and Publisher too.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:03 PM »

How can anything be cheaper than free?  Or is Microsoft paying people to use MSOffice these days? Grin

I do not mind paying for something that works well. I use full suite with Outlook, Access and Publisher too.

And the unanswered question was "How can anything be cheaper than free? Or is Microsoft paying people to use MSOffice these days?" .

As for "paying for something that works well"... LibreOffice works well and is a free (as in speech and in beer) download.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:00:59 AM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »

"A poor workman, blames his tools" comes to mind.  Smiley

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 01:34:27 AM »

In my business we use OOo and LibreOffice every day with some very complex spreadsheets and macros.

We have no complaints whatsoever but all spreadsheets and macros have been made in OOo or LibreOffice, not in Excel.

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
W1GVT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 03:56:38 AM »

We regularly use LibreOffice to repair corrupted Excel sheets. We'll never go back to MSO.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »

I've been using Libre Office for about 5 years on this older Dell laptop running Vista, and about 3 years of dual-booting with Linux Mint. Since Mint 17.2, I use it about 70-80% of the time. I save all files in .xls and .doc for compatibility with my lab PC in the shack downstairs, an even older Dell workstation (used to be my in-laws') running XP and MS Office. That PC runs my Velleman PC scope/spectrum analyzer, my PIC and AVR programmers, Ladpac, RFSim 99, and several other engineering apps, along with my own spreadsheet suite of ham applications. It is slow, but it does the job. It is never connected to the internet.

The latest version of Libre Office reads and writes .docx and .xlsx, but I save those imported files in the earlier MSOffice versions. One of the software applications for the Poor Ham's Scalar Network Analyzer (PHSNA) runs Libre OfficeCalc or MSExcel for plotting equally well.

About the only time I need to boot Vista on the laptop is to run Paint.Net for highlighting and enhancing schematics, PCB layouts, etc. A couple of tasks (repetitive copy and paste being one) are much simpler in that application than in Photoshop CS2.

Ted, KX4OM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: