The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't get laptop running Windows 10 to recognize G4ZLP CAT Interface  (Read 4355 times)
ND2K

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:03:02 AM »

I am trying to get my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10 to recognize my G4ZLP CT62 Yaesu CAT interface with 8-pin mini DIN.
This has worked without problems with my desktop running XP as well as Windows 7.

I have my Yaesu FT-857 configured for CAT control/4800bps just like my desktop, but when I plug the
interface into my laptop I get "USB device not recognized".

In Device Manager for this device is see:

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

If I try to update the driver, it says: Best Driver is Already Installed

I contacted G4ZLP and received a driver from him, which I tried to install
via Device Manager--> Update Drivers by picking a driver from a list on my computer.
Trying this, it says the driver is not digitally signed, the hash for the file is not present in
the specified catalog...file is likely corrupt.

Is there a solution???

Thanks...Al ND2K
KD2EOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »

I am trying to get my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10 to recognize my G4ZLP CT62 Yaesu CAT interface with 8-pin mini DIN.
This has worked without problems with my desktop running XP as well as Windows 7.

I have my Yaesu FT-857 configured for CAT control/4800bps just like my desktop, but when I plug the
interface into my laptop I get "USB device not recognized".

In Device Manager for this device is see:

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

If I try to update the driver, it says: Best Driver is Already Installed

I contacted G4ZLP and received a driver from him, which I tried to install
via Device Manager--> Update Drivers by picking a driver from a list on my computer.
Trying this, it says the driver is not digitally signed, the hash for the file is not present in
the specified catalog...file is likely corrupt.

Is there a solution???

Thanks...Al ND2K

I just replied to the post you made about this on the QRZ forum. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/g4zlp-ftdi-cat-interface-not-recognized-by-laptop-running-windows-10.497772/

I see you're on Windows 10. Windows 7 and below installs unsigned drivers without a problem, but on Windows 8 and 10 you need to jump through a small hoop to get unsigned drivers to install correctly. See http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-any-digitally-unsigned-drivers-on-windows-8/ for Windows 8 instructions. The procedure is very similar on Windows 10.

The only difference between the Windows 8 procedure described in the article and Windows 10 procedure is that on Windows 10 you go to Start Menu > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery to get to the Advanced Startup section.
KD2EOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »

If not, maybe the USB cable is bad? I guess you could try swapping that out.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:19 AM »

I see you're on Windows 10. Windows 7 and below installs unsigned drivers without a problem, but on Windows 8 and 10 you need to jump through a small hoop to get unsigned drivers to install correctly.

Not that small a hoop. You can disable signed and auto update of drivers and it is not that hard to do.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:57 AM »

I see you're on Windows 10. Windows 7 and below installs unsigned drivers without a problem, but on Windows 8 and 10 you need to jump through a small hoop to get unsigned drivers to install correctly.

Not that small a hoop. You can disable signed and auto update of drivers and it is not that hard to do.

Are you going to tell him how?

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »

Are you going to tell him how?

I do not think many know how to do a web search. It takes about 5 to 10 seconds to find instruction. The link below show a couple different ways. I have done it with 8x a few times but not 10 yet.

Click Here

Also if you want to disable automatic driver update after finding right driver....

Click Here
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:54:48 PM by W8JX » Logged

ND2K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »

I have been told to try "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" in Windows 10, which I was hoping would be the solution but to no avail; tried it a number of times but still could not get Windows 10 to recognize the CAT interface.

The CAT interface has worked flawlessly for 4 years with a desktop running XP, and then later Win7.

The Disable Driver Signature Enforcement I am sure works for many unsigned devices, but unfortunately not for my particular case.

I would caution anyone not to upgrade to Windows 10 just for the sake of upgrading....if things are working with current OS, stay put!

Al ND2K
ND2K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

Just a quick update as to what I did to solve the problem.

I purchased an FTDI cable on eBay from KJ6ZWL (vendor: BlueMax49ers).

I now have HRD on my laptop with Windows 10...problem solved.

Al ND2K
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 03:52:18 AM »

Signed Drivers have been a thing since W2K and Microsoft said then that it would start to enforce them. The developer community had lots of warnings to start signing drivers and should all be doing so, by now.

The reality is you have a two fold problem.....signing and a broken driver. It doesn't help that the vendor is clouding the issue by making you disable driver signing to make their code work.

Peter
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »

Signed Drivers have been a thing since W2K and Microsoft said then that it would start to enforce them. The developer community had lots of warnings to start signing drivers and should all be doing so, by now.

The reality is you have a two fold problem.....signing and a broken driver. It doesn't help that the vendor is clouding the issue by making you disable driver signing to make their code work.

It seems that the hard MS tries to enforce standards for drivers for more uniformity the more some complain and vendors drop ball with developing their drivers and in end MS gets blamed when others actually caused problem.

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »

From a programming perspective, Windows 8 & 10 were by far the best versions of windows ever released. It is the most stable and resource efficient to date. Most people could not see past the start menu (which only took a free download to fix in 8 & 10) and the fact that XP is finally *done* (YAH!).

The code signing purpose is not to allow hacked drivers or virus type drivers to get installed. Running your machine in unsigned mode makes signing pointless.

The reality on the code signing issue is the vendors are too cheap to spend a couple hundred on a certificate. That's all it takes. Remember that when pointing those ugly fingers in blame.

Peter
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 03:25:51 AM »

From a programming perspective, Windows 8 & 10 were by far the best versions of windows ever released. It is the most stable and resource efficient to date. Most people could not see past the start menu (which only took a free download to fix in 8 & 10) and the fact that XP is finally *done* (YAH!).

The code signing purpose is not to allow hacked drivers or virus type drivers to get installed. Running your machine in unsigned mode makes signing pointless.

The reality on the code signing issue is the vendors are too cheap to spend a couple hundred on a certificate. That's all it takes. Remember that when pointing those ugly fingers in blame.

I fully agree with your comments however many who do not understand this and would rather it be unchanged and blame MS for it and not device driver certification. The virtual world is changing and the OS with it but many resist change.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:20:01 AM by W8JX » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: