The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US to US in CQ WW SSB?  (Read 4202 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »

Ok dumb question . . . Seem it is worth zero points for someone in US to contact someone in US. But I am hearing those contacts made?? Did I misunderstand the rules?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »

They provide zone and country multipliers.

Mike
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »

ok thanks ! So there is some value to those contacts . . .

KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »

Most of the zones can be covered with the fellows up north in Canada but the old standing rule is you just need one US contact per band. For some stupid reason during DX contest US station seem to try and work you just to work you so the best thing to do is don't log those contacts unless they say they need you for the country multiplier. When they check the logs and cannot verify the contacts the bang you 10 points for every contact that is not able to be verified plus when you start placing winning scores the competition will work you when your not busy (like in the wee hours on 160) and not log there side of the contact so it will hurt your score. This is an issue between the big contest clubs here in the NE USA and its a dirty trick so just work the PITA US stations that call and DONT LOG the contact unless they say I need you for the mult.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

Most of the zones can be covered with the fellows up north in Canada but the old standing rule is you just need one US contact per band. For some stupid reason during DX contest US station seem to try and work you just to work you so the best thing to do is don't log those contacts unless they say they need you for the country multiplier. When they check the logs and cannot verify the contacts the bang you 10 points for every contact that is not able to be verified plus when you start placing winning scores the competition will work you when your not busy (like in the wee hours on 160) and not log there side of the contact so it will hurt your score. This is an issue between the big contest clubs here in the NE USA and its a dirty trick so just work the PITA US stations that call and DONT LOG the contact unless they say I need you for the mult.

The best thing to do is log every call that calls you.   

They do not "bang you for 10 points" for every contact that is not verified.   A few months after the contest, the contest sponsor will email you your UBN report.  Unique, Busted, and Not in log. 

Unique is a callsign that you logged that is valid in that country's database, but has not submitted a log for the contest.
Busted, is a callsign that you logged incorrectly.  The callsign is valid and has submitted a log for the contest.
Not in log is a call that you logged, but is not in the other station's log.  The other station has submitted a log for the contest.

The penalties vary for each contest, but since the thread is about CQ WW, the penalties are as follows:

E. Log Checking: All logs are checked using custom software and human judgment.
1.Duplicate contacts are removed with no additional penalty.
2.Contacts with an incorrectly received exchange are removed with no additional penalty.
3.Call sign errors (bust) or call signs not in the other log (NIL) are removed and receive a penalty of two times the QSO point value for that contact.
4.Contacts that do not meet the band change rules for multi-operator entries are removed with no additional penalty.

http://www.cqww.com/rules.htm

B. QSO Points: Stations may be contacted once on each band. QSO points are based on the location of the station worked.
1.Contacts between stations on different continents count three (3) points.
2.Contacts between stations on the same continent but in different countries count one (1) point. Exception: Contacts between stations in different countries within the North American boundaries count two (2) points.
3.Contacts between stations in the same country have zero (0) QSO point value, but are permitted for zone or country multiplier credit.

So, it appears that the worst penalty you could receive is 6 points.  Of course, if a contact is a multiplier, you would also lose the multiplier, which, if you have many QSOs, could be a significant point reduction. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »

I stand by what I posted, work one USA station per band and there will be no issues cause back in 99 those state side call that strangely didn't come up in the other contesters log cost us 10 points per unverifiable qso's for stupid no pointers. Our UBN's were running less than 3% and the powers of the human intervention who just happened to hold the record at that time for M/S I feel made sure we didn't get it but we did win for that year like we did for some of the other years before.
Maybe when you start placing winning scores like we did back in the day you will realize there is much politics involve which I was never aware of until then. I feel that the guys who check the logs should not be record holders IMO because that is a huge conflict of interest but if you want to believe that isn't true go right ahead. Some of these guys have never built a winning station of there own but operate OPS during contest and if you been building your own station you should know how much work effort, resources and time go into it. These same hams have the nerve to tell you that you have a second tier station but in the end when you start placing wood on the wall from your own built station you know who really did it. BTW I didn't do all that back then for my call in bold letters, truth is I didn't care what call we used but the fun a group that we put together over those years had tons of radio fun.
I still had fun this weekend operating from a small home lot with 1KW and a modified G5RV at 55', did over 1.8 mil for about 30 hours so you never lose those skills you pick up threw those years.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »

Prove it. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: