The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade changing to automatic recommended update early next year  (Read 2042 times)
N7EKU

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »

For Windows 7 and 8 users,

This seems like it is true as I've read it in a couple of places.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/30/windows-10-upgrades-now-automatic/

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-will-be-made-an-automatic-recommended-update-early-next-year/

Ugh, this will cause a ton of headaches for small companies I think (that don't have IT managed updates.) For home users we'll probably have to turn off automatic updates and do them manualy.

Mark.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:51:05 AM by N7EKU » Logged

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »

Win 10 is spyware, no? Not that all the previous versions aren't. Microsoft was being sued way back in the day for bundling IE with their OS then magically the whole problem just went away. I had to guess at that time that they cut a deal to cooperate by providing backdoors into everything. Now they have Win10 and it's unclear how we can opt out of all of the info sent out by it and we are all forced into using it. I guess maybe Microsoft got jealous of the Fed's capabilities and decided to branch out into Ever Bigger Data on their own hook?

I really don't want to upgrade mostly because my Win7 works fine. I don't have a touchscreen either.

I write software in a proprietary environment that I rent. They are moving to Linux but they keep moving the date back. My commercial stuff is slowly moving away from Windoz but for surfing it's not much of a worry. Speaking of Linux and spying and all here is an experiment that I accidentally did: I was building a Linux machine. I set up the Linux firewall in whitelist mode but didn't enable it. The computer was connected to the internet with no firewall for an hour or two. At that time I was working on the whitelist and noticed changes. Some drone software or hacker had gotten in there and added some DNS servers to my whitelist! They had their cache-poisoned DNS servers all good to go and were setting me up for Man-in-the-Middle attacks! It's very hard for me to trust anything connected to the internet nowadays, just sayin'

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »

The arstechnica link doesn't work.  Here's one that does:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-will-be-made-an-automatic-recommended-update-early-next-year/

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »

Yeah one needs to be careful,

Where I used to work, I could go on all our lab and workstation computers that had permanent IP numbers and their logs would show 5-10 thousand hack attempts per day!   I had one new vendor-supplied system that I had our IT guys hook up to the internet and they forgot to check the local administrator passord that the vendor set (it was "password" duh).  That system was hacked in a few minutes and started working on others in the local domain.  Luckily they detected that traffic and shut it down.  They've now switched the whole system to DNS with VPN so hopefully it will be a lot safer now.

We had a (properly setup) linux gateway going for many years with not a single security issue, so I think it can be done :-)

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

I really don't want to upgrade mostly because my Win7 works fine. I don't have a touchscreen either.

It works fine with old apps and old hardware anyway. It is a dead end OS though beacause as I have said before. There is a new generation of apps that 8 and 10 supports and 7 never will. Sticking with a old OS on life support when offered a free upgrade to a fully supported OS is kinda silly. I have only one 7 machine left (it will go to 8 or 10 after a HD upgrade) and main machines are 8 or 10. I still prefer 8 over 10 though and both over over 7

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »

Windows 10 for free?? Bum deal.
Whats the point of these "new apps" if noone is buying into it?
There are people out there who are ripping out the crud Microsoft is pushing, Metro, Windows Store, Cortana, trying to remove the "phone home" spyware and adware.
As I have said before, this is an exploitable vunerability.
All that needs doing is to spoof  a Microsoft phone-home site, read microsoft's keylogger and thats your bank account drained

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W1GVT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »

If you're offered something proprietary "for free" you're the product, not the customer. Windows 10 is indeed spyware and I'll be interested to watch as the privacy issues play out - especially regarding healthcare use of Windows OS. Windows 7 will be around through 2020 and Windows 8 through 2023. We've already moved to Linux and have no need to worry about it.

Check out the Free Software Foundation's Windows Campaign: https://www.fsf.org/windows
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: