The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Sweepstakes This Weekend  (Read 5140 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »

The grandaddy of all US domestic contests, the ARRL Sweepstakes CW, is this weekend. SS starts at 2100 UTC Saturday and runs through 0300 Monday am. Full info can be found here.

Most full time SS entrants will gladly slow down for anyone who answers their CQ. The long exchange in SS makes for great CW practice.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:52:26 AM »

Hope the geomagnetic storm conditions currently in play are not too big a factor.
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »

SS has always been my favorite contest. The exchange has its roots in traffic handling, and as John indicated, you have copy it correctly, so it's a great skill builder. SS is also fun for award chasers, if you are chasing WAS, or filling in band-states, it's good for that. If you are a QRPer, it's great for making contacts because there are so many loud stations who need YOUR QSO.
If you want to compete to win a certificate, there are several categories you can enter and you compete within your section.
Jump in and give it a try. Don't get discouraged if you struggle a little at first, ask for QRS.
See you all on the bands in a few hours
Paul
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:41:23 AM »

Conditions actually seemed pretty good - the CME hit on Friday vs. Saturday, a good thing.

I had a kitchen pass on Saturday, so I operated from the start until local midnite, remotely operating W4AAW using my callsign K3TN. Lots of fun, a few technical issues that meant even though I had entered Unlimited, most of the time I had no packet spotting, a few other hiccups  that cause some slowdown.

On Sunday, I was mostly away from home but got some time in the afternoon from my home station using my club call KK3TN.

Both days, high levels of activity and other than 10M being dead air, great conditions.

I don't usually get on much for the SSB version coming weekend after the coming weekend, but will give it a shot.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
KD8SAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:10:58 AM »

The sweepstakes is how I got many of my states for CW WAS. It's great for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: