The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams that cause all the problems! LOL  (Read 38210 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:13 AM »

1X nailed it right on the money.  No matter what you become involved with you will have at least one jerk, and "jerk" is the most complimentary word I can use.

As for "setting before an FCC examiner and taking the test and never using it again." I can quite agree with that statement. 

I've had more than one smartass tell me after learning that I had the Extra and 1st Phone tickets, "I guess you know it all!"

My stock answer is, "No, I don't know it all but I do know what questions to ask!"  A person can't solve a problem or even know if you have a problem unless you know what you need to find out.

I realize this could be phrased much better but if you think about it for a minute, it will make sense.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KJ4DGE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 03:13:48 AM »

I have recently heard someone on 40 meters just being a total pain, cussing and so on. I just spin the dial. When I first got into the hobby I ran afoul of a local 2 meter "Old timer" He had all the answers to everything in life. What urked me at the time is now just a learning experience. I don't feel sorry for them, I feel nothing at all. They are the ones in a crisis that would hoard everything and leave others to rot so they could save their own butt. I like to rag chew and learn new things, not just HAM related. You can still find nice people on the air. The ones that comment "Yeah he does not know that he was on "my" frequency" need to read the rules again but I am sure they would be aghast that someone would tell them they do not know it all. BTW I was thinking about writing another article but am running out of ideas. Would like to maybe do another Heathkit article with input from former Heathkit builders. Anyone would be interested in this let me know.

KJ4DGE
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 07:25:04 AM »

I think the sooner people realize this hobby like every other hobby is made up of the same people you meet on the street; the sooner they can move on and enjoy the hobby.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »

Jerks are simply jerks. No amount of code or testing requirements are going to "filter" them from the hobby.

Not 100%, anyway. Particularly when the testing is one-time and then you can renew your license pretty much forever.

That doesn't mean testing serves no purpose - it does. Look at what 27 MHz turned into, in large part because of no testing.

As a ham for 48+ years, 45 of them as an Extra, I say this:

- There have always been jerks in amateur radio and probably always will be.

- The only differences are how many there are and how badly they behave.

- The worst seem to congregate in specific parts of the bands and use specific modes.

- Enforcement is the way to reduce such behavior. FCC will do some, but only after lots of complaints and evidence.

- We can, and should, do what we can to stop bad behavior. Here's what we can do:

1) Report it to FCC - with specifics and recordings - but ONLY if it actually violates an FCC rule.

2) Not publicize the person(s) involved.

3) Not interact with the person(s) involved - on the air or off.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »

Jerks are simply jerks. No amount of code or testing requirements are going to "filter" them from the hobby.

Not 100%, anyway. Particularly when the testing is one-time and then you can renew your license pretty much forever.

That doesn't mean testing serves no purpose - it does. Look at what 27 MHz turned into, in large part because of no testing.

As a ham for 48+ years, 45 of them as an Extra, I say this:

- There have always been jerks in amateur radio and probably always will be.

- The only differences are how many there are and how badly they behave.

- The worst seem to congregate in specific parts of the bands and use specific modes.

- Enforcement is the way to reduce such behavior. FCC will do some, but only after lots of complaints and evidence.

- We can, and should, do what we can to stop bad behavior. Here's what we can do:

1) Report it to FCC - with specifics and recordings - but ONLY if it actually violates an FCC rule.

2) Not publicize the person(s) involved.

3) Not interact with the person(s) involved - on the air or off.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Testing in our hobby measures (a) knowledge, (b) skill, (c) aptitude , (d) all the above, (e) none of the above.  It doesn't measure, describe, or predict personality, personality disorders, values or mores. You can do testing once or periodically, but it doesn't have anything to do with filtering aberrant behavior. A jerk is simply a jerk.
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »

The funny thing about jerks is that they never know they are one.
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »

I agree. I was a volunteer EMT many years ago and we had a ton of wannabes in the organization. You just grin and bear it and do your own thing. No different when your on the air. Spin the dial and move on.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »

N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 02:34:24 AM »

ROFLMAO -- well-played KJ3N, well-played!!!
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »

Every contest weekend we have U.S. hams violating the band restrictions just to contact a generic mundane entity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmzD4WBCzA

Didnt hear any of that this weekend during the ARRL 160.....
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

Been a HAM a while,  Riley nailed it, first off you can't change anybody, maybe yourself if your willing to work hard at it an want it deeply, your not going to change these guys, in life one has 2 choices eather you can be HAPPY or you can be RIGHT, thats your choices.  I would not want to be one of these guys, because all the work is in front of them to change there lives to make PAIN go away, there just bringing more pain in to there lives by doing the same thing over an over and over again trying to get some sore of acknowledgement even if its in a negative way to try an make themself feel better about themselves by putting down others, an wasting there lives, life is about personal choice, If you don't LOVE yourself on the inside, people can tell an see right through you, no mater what you do, words can't fix that. If you try an find GOOD in yourself, you will become happy, there GOOD in all of us, even those guys...............Marry Christmas..........kb6hrt

W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 10:07:10 PM »

ROFLMAO -- well-played KJ3N, well-played!!!

You two can get married now. It's legal.
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »

Been a HAM a while,  Riley nailed it, first off you can't change anybody, maybe yourself if your willing to work hard at it an want it deeply, your not going to change these guys, in life one has 2 choices eather you can be HAPPY or you can be RIGHT, thats your choices.  I would not want to be one of these guys, because all the work is in front of them to change there lives to make PAIN go away, there just bringing more pain in to there lives by doing the same thing over an over and over again trying to get some sore of acknowledgement even if its in a negative way to try an make themself feel better about themselves by putting down others, an wasting there lives, life is about personal choice, If you don't LOVE yourself on the inside, people can tell an see right through you, no mater what you do, words can't fix that. If you try an find GOOD in yourself, you will become happy, there GOOD in all of us, even those guys...............Marry Christmas..........kb6hrt

One thing is for sure, they won't say a peep in person. Most of the ones in these threads do not even have the skill to operate.

Merry Christmas to you too KB6HRT.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »

Something is going on... and it's not just in amateur radio. And the popularity of some political figures (and unreasonable unpopularity of others) just illustrates it. I find myself wondering what it is. Were they like this at age 12 or 13? Was it what they ate? What they drank? What they smoked? Was it lead paint or lead pipes?

Or is it disease? Alzheimer's? Senility? Something else?

The word "narcissism" is being bandied about as a popular description for people who seem to be focused only on themselves and, certainly, there is a LOT of that. But that's the symptom, I think, not the cause.

Whatever it is, I think it's getting worse...

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »

I have recently heard someone on 40 meters just being a total pain, cussing and so on. I just spin the dial. When I first got into the hobby I ran afoul of a local 2 meter "Old timer" He had all the answers to everything in life. What urked me at the time is now just a learning experience. I don't feel sorry for them, I feel nothing at all. They are the ones in a crisis that would hoard everything and leave others to rot so they could save their own butt. I like to rag chew and learn new things, not just HAM related. You can still find nice people on the air. The ones that comment "Yeah he does not know that he was on "my" frequency" need to read the rules again but I am sure they would be aghast that someone would tell them they do not know it all. BTW I was thinking about writing another article but am running out of ideas. Would like to maybe do another Heathkit article with input from former Heathkit builders. Anyone would be interested in this let me know.

KJ4DGE

I used to just spin the dial but I decided to do something.  I have recorded them several times and sent the audio files along with the dates and times to the FCC  Enforcement Bureau.  I know they will likely ignore it like they always do but I am getting kind of tired of idiots screwing up the hobby that I have enjoyed for so many years.  I received the obligatory "thank you we are aware of the situation" reply but I doubt that much will come out of it.  At least I tried and will continue to do so for a while longer before I spin the dial.  Funny thing is I don't operate phone much anymore at all and just have an occasional CW QSO but the shenanigans on 7200 still have an impact on the perception of our hobby, it effects all of us weather you spin the dial or not.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: