The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New feature on HF radios urgently needed  (Read 4887 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

Peter:  Ya gotta be kiddin! 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »

People simply don't listen during a pileup. I've heard people work a dx station, then say,"What's your call"? If you can't hear the station, you shouldn't be calling him.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 05:45:41 AM »

People simply don't listen during a pileup. I've heard people work a dx station, then say,"What's your call"? If you can't hear the station, you shouldn't be calling him.

There's also the occasional guy who cracks the pileup and plops down to talk a while:  "Thanks for the reply, (rare country callsign)--you're also 59 here. The name here is Bob, Bob (spells it phonetically), and I'm in Twisted Iguana, Arizona, that's Twisted Iguana (spells THAT phonetically) ..." 

It would be morally WRONG to be angry at someone just because he's clueless, so I try to just laugh.  Wink
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »

There is also the guy who has a BIG signal and knows it and so works the DX on the same band and mode every day just to show that he can! Fortunately, they are a lot rarer these days than they were, although the 'replacement' lids that we have are more of a problem.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »

There is also the guy who has a BIG signal and knows it and so works the DX on the same band and mode every day just to show that he can! Fortunately, they are a lot rarer these days than they were, although the 'replacement' lids that we have are more of a problem.

I think "replacement lids" is a marvelous turn of phrase for those people.   G call--you're not related to P.G.Wodehouse, by chance?   Wink

I just said the other day on another thread that I thought deliberate interference was rare in RTTY pileups; hearing VK9WA on 20m RTTY yesterday proved to me that the world has changed while I wasn't listening.  Nobody REALLY needs to send a string of dits right on top of the DX as soon as the DX begins replying to one of the callers.  Or to tune up for minutes on end, right on top of the DX frequency, not a few kHz away.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »

And the equally as rude,Could you please listen for my friend  xxx who would love to work you "?  Cheesy
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »

...I've heard people work a dx station, then say,"What's your call"? ...

All you'd need to do is listen to the DX station for a while after you worked him, he should say his call pretty soon.  I've done that myself.   Roll Eyes
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: