The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell 149 dollar black friday laptop  (Read 3186 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:21:31 AM »

Dell is offering a 14 inch Inspiron 3000 series laptop for 1/2 price today at 6pm EST on line if you are looking for a new cheap laptop.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »

It sold out fast!

Jim K6JH
WD4AOG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »

Best Buy still has them as of today for $119 and free shipping but I read several reviews that stated that they are lousy computers (very slow, cheaply constructed, full of bugs, etc).  Others, of course, were happy with them.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »

Best Buy still has them as of today for $119 and free shipping but I read several reviews that stated that they are lousy computers (very slow, cheaply constructed, full of bugs, etc).  Others, of course, were happy with them.

Only "bug" would be lack of memory which can be fixed.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:46:03 AM »

Well maybe....

These are machines specifically made for this sale. A few years ago I bought my wife one of these "bargain" computers but in her case, it was a desktop. Of course one of the first things I did was take off the side cover to take a peek inside. Instead of four SATA connectors, there were only two so this means no additional on-board hard drive. There were dedicated spots for two more on the MB, but no connectors. As far as memory, it was the same thing. There were two connectors for memory sticks and like the SATA connectors, there were spots on the MB for two more. Plus there were only two PICe slots which wasn't a huge deal since there weren't any peripherals she needed to add, but the point is that this could be a limitation for some people.

So like with everything it is caveat emptor, or buyer beware! Remember, these computers are cheap for a reason!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:39:28 AM »

Well maybe....

These are machines specifically made for this sale. A few years ago I bought my wife one of these "bargain" computers but in her case, it was a desktop. Of course one of the first things I did was take off the side cover to take a peek inside. Instead of four SATA connectors, there were only two so this means no additional on-board hard drive. There were dedicated spots for two more on the MB, but no connectors. As far as memory, it was the same thing. There were two connectors for memory sticks and like the SATA connectors, there were spots on the MB for two more. Plus there were only two PICe slots which wasn't a huge deal since there weren't any peripherals she needed to add, but the point is that this could be a limitation for some people.

So like with everything it is caveat emptor, or buyer beware! Remember, these computers are cheap for a reason!

I have bought three Dell tablets and tablet/laptop in last few years and only issue I have seen is that some of Dell installed software for support and backup can pull system down some but if you remove it they are fine. One recent Andriod Dell tablet was seeing a lot of CPU usage even when idle. I traced it to Dell's media app for viewing picture saved on device. I uninstalled app and replaced it with a play store app and had no more issues. On my Dell tablet/laptop I had usage issue too until I disabled Dell auto backup to cloud.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: