Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL bureaux - need upgrade?  (Read 1308 times)
AA6E

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2004, 07:59:30 PM »

Like everybody else, I'm frustrated that QSLing via bureau is so slow.  Not to dump on the generous volunteers (esp. the "E" people in 6-land), but this system seems way obsolete.  I really value the traditional "hard card".  I use eQSL and LOTW, but I still try to get the real thing when I can.

The only alternative to the bureaux (that I know of) is direct or manager QSLing, with all the financial and postal issues we know about.

Seems to me there ought to be an intermediate, paid option, where you can send & request a QSL, paying a standard charge ($2 is OK with me), being sure that the other op gets expenses covered, and get a return within a month or two. It could be facilitated by Internet, building on models like Paypal, Ebay, etc.  [QSL by Ebay, now there's a thought!] You should be able to confirm receipt of your card and when the other fellow sends his/hers.

How is the existing bureau system coordinated?  Is it the IARU?  I don't find any on-line information.  Anybody know of work in this area?

73, Martin, AA6E
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:15:39 PM »

QSL bureaux - need upgrade?  Reply  
by AA6E on September 11, 2004  Mail this to a friend!  
[snip]
How is the existing bureau system coordinated? Is it the IARU? I don't find any on-line information. Anybody know of work in this area?

The current bureau system is not coordinated by any central body.  Each country establishes its own QSL bureau under whichever organization chooses to take on this task.  In the US, it is the ARRL.  In Great Britain, I believe it is the RSGB.  Some countries have no bureau.

If you want a fast response, QSL direct to the station or the station's manager if they have one.  If they have a US manager, this will only cost you the 37 cents plus envelope to send it and 37 cents plus envelope to get it returned.  This is far less than the 2 bucks you said you would be willing to spend for a fast confirmation.  If they have no QSL manager or their QSL manager is not in the US, it will cost you two envelopes, 80 cents to send it and $2(max) to get it sent back for a total of about $3.  This is still in the ballpark of your $2 figure.

If you want to save money, go through the bureau (admittedly slow) or use ARRL's LOTW if they've submitted their logs (variable depending on how often they submit logs).

There is no avenue that is both cheap and fast.

What a lot of us choose to do is to QSL direct (or via the manager) to the rare or exotic stations and DXpeditions but to use the bureau for stations that are not rare or exotic (those in Europe for example).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: