The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prohibitions On Operating Portable HF Station On Military Installation  (Read 47118 times)
N3GTO

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »

I plan on visiting my son who is in the military, in a few weeks.  Are there any prohibitions on operating a portable HF station in base housing?  Facts only, please.  No opinions. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:03:20 PM by N3GTO » Logged
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

I plan on visiting my son who is in the military, in a few weeks.  Are there any prohibitions on operating a portable HF station in base housing?  Facts only, please.  No opinions. 

Never heard of any issues, I also had a couple of friends who had set ups in base housing at FT Bragg when I was stationed there.

Craig
W1MSG
N3GTO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »

Thanks Craig.  I was just wondering if permission was needed from base commander.

Steve / N3GTO
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

When I was in the Navy you had to have permission from the base commanding officer. There were restricted areas near the flight lines where you were not permitted to operate mobile due to potential problems while loading ordinance. If you had permission to operate from base housing then they would call your home to notify you of radio silence during loading operations.

Given the terrorist situation today I would suggest that you stop at the MP station and ask. A while back I was driving on a Marine Corps base and pulled off the side of the road to answer an important cell call (knowing that it is now illegal to use a hand held cell while driving on base). It only took about 2 minutes until an MP pulled up and asked what I was doing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:06:02 PM by AA4PB » Logged

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N2OBM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »

Depends on location and/or service. Army Regulation 25-6 actually instructs Army Installation Commanders (and the Network Enterprise Centers who are responsible for frequency management on installations) to support amateur radio as much as possible (within reason). AF, Navy and USMC 'kind of' support 'radio geeks'....but the last versions of policy I saw for any of those services was VERY dated. Navy and USMC suspended the MARS program for their services. The Army addresses amateur and CB use within the Army MARS Regulation. MSG Trent Bronson, Spectrum Manager until 1 Feb 2016....then retired!
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:45:55 AM »

There are no Army-wide restrictions for using portable HF stations on post.  You should use normal precautions for antenna location, interference to neighbors and safety considerations.  Be mindful and considerate that you are a guest on post and operate accordingly.

I hope you have a good visit with your son!

Paul
Army MARS Program Manager 
N3GTO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »

Thank you for the responses. This will be on an Air Force base, if that makes a difference.

Steve / N3GTO
K4TB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »

There are at some I know.  Check with the PIO (Public Information Office) of the installation your are planning to visit.

K4TB
N3GTO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The visit is over, and I just left the HF rig in the truck.  I will keep the suggestions in mind, for the next trip.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »

Another Prohibition may be HERO: Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Ordnance

In simple terms, some things blow up when subjected to RF energy.
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 06:46:44 AM »

I had a complete mobile HF station when I visited my son at Ft Leonard Wood in MO. and they never said anything to me about my radio equipment when  going through the main gate, and believe you me they did look thoroughly inside the car before they let us in.

I was even monitoring the MP's on their base frequency and they didn't  say anything.

KA3NXN
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »

If Radiation to Ordnance was that big a problem why put radios in Aircraft.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »

If Radiation to Ordnance was that big a problem why put radios in Aircraft.

They put aircraft on the flight line on radio silence during ordinance operations. They have no way of notifying you of radio silence if you are running around the base using your 100W HF mobile. In 1970 we moved the MARS station out to the edge of the base in order to get out of the radio silence zone. We were constantly being interrupted by radio silence notice when located in the vicinity of the flight lines.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »

there are also tangential issues, such as operations in progress (drones are run from stateside), field training, and of course the ever-popular Special Weapons that may theoretically come through any base at any time.  so anything a PIO sergeant tells you may change by the time you drive up.  ask the MPs "if there are any issues with my (whatever) in the car."  be safe.

oh, and leave the sidearms and shotguns at home.  never a good idea, nowadays a very serious issue unless you are in uniform and on duty with authorization.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

I am currently on active duty and have lived on base for most of my 20+ years of service (currently live on Hickam AFB).

Quick answer - it depends, but you are most likely fine if you are smart about it.  Deep in on-base housing, away from the flight line or any obvious radio installations - you're probably fine.  Bring a copy of your license if a MP or someone else asks what sort of radio you have in your car.

I'd be really, really surprised if the MPs or PIO had any clue in the world what you were talking about if you asked about ham radio.  Thus, the safe answer you will probably get is "no" despite what the real answer might be.

In Guam (3 separate assignments), there was legacy regulation in place for Amateur Radio, but it took a while to get permission since no one had pursued it in years and those filling the approval positions had no idea what Ham Radio was.  It took a while to get approval since it's easier (and often safer) to say no than to say yes.

Here at Hickam, all military housing has been privatized unlike in Guam.  With privatization comes commercial CC&R covenants, AKA no antennas allowed whatsoever except satellite dishes.  That said, I know a couple hams who have stealth antennas in housing and have had no issues.

73, Dave N2NL
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: