The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K for Kernow  (Read 32841 times)
G3UCQ

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »

During 2016, operators with a main address in the County of Cornwall, UK may add the letter K to their call signs.
I.e G3UCQ becomes GK3UCQ.
Why? If you follow this link http://gb2gm.org/index.php/k-for-kernow you can read all about it.
There are probably many hams in the States with Cornish ancestry so look out for the Ks during the whole of 2016, starting Jan 1 2016.
John G3UCQ
Hayle, Cornwall
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:37:02 PM »

After a bit of digging, I find that Kernow is and ancient word from which "Cornwall" is derived.
G3UCQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 02:19:18 AM »

Yes, Kernow is a Celtic word and it is because of the Celtic origins that the County of Cornwall has been granted this Minority Status by the European Union and the British Government. The status makes the County the same as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, all Celtic nations.
This does not make Kernow a separate entity for DXCC however as the County does not have its own parliament - yet.  The County still counts as England.
In our negotiations with the regulator, OfCom, we tried to have the K made permanent but OfCom would not allow that. So we have settled for one year so make the most of it guys.  Wink

Happy Christmas and have fun in 2016.
John
G3UCQ (GK3UCQ)
G0PNM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »

For info of those who have the 'K' NoV, in order to be counted towards the 'Kernow Award', you have to email John to say that you call can be used.  The email is:-

info@gb2gm.org

Email and ask for your callsign to be included. Then, anyone can submit QSO details and claim it as a point towards the award. If you don't, then it will not be included.

Pete G0PNM / GK0PNM - Fraddon, St Columb
www.qrz.com/db/GK0PNM
www.qrz.com/db/G0PNM
G3UCQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:00:12 AM »

Pete
Sorry, but it is not a requirement for a K applicant to log their application with me. OfCom worded the link to the Award which has given that impression which I believe has put some off from contacting me.  It is just that it would be nice to know roughly how many have taken up the NoV and I have 49 applications so far.  However, I reckon the take up is more than that. 
73 and have fun in 2016.
John
G3UCQ (GK3UCQ soon  Wink )
G0PNM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »

Really sorry John,

I was under the impression that those wanting to have their callsign included as qualifying 'K' stations for the award, should let you know.

Standing corrected and looking forward to 2016.

Pete
G3UCQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »

Apology accepted Pete. Thanks for the correction.
Now, enjoy your GK0PNM operation.
John
G3UCQ
G3UCQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »

Hello all
With over 9,000 view to this thread there is obviously much interest in the USA over the K for Kernow.
I have tried to generate some QSOs by turning my hex beam to you but condx are not that great.
I usually work CW or rtty and try to chose a frequency ending with a 6 (2016) so look out for that.

On March 5th is St. Piran's Day, the patron saint of Cornwall, when we are hoping to get as many K stations as possible on the air for that weekend. We know that over 170 have taken up the K but not all work the HF bands of course. The Poldhu club will be operating the special call sign GK3MPD (Marconi Poldhu) for the weekend which counts as 5 points for the Kernow Award.
www.gb2gm.org

Hope to meet you on the air.
John
GK3UCQ
PS If anyone wants a sked drop me an email
emailATjohnfarrarDOTplusDOT.com
G3UCQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:50:27 AM »

I was recently interviewed concerning the K for Kernow.  The video can be viewed with my interview starting about 11 minutes in.
http://www.txfilms.co.uk/txfactor/txf010.shtml
There is also some interesting stuff about the Goonhilly Earth Station here in Cornwall and the ISS.
With Marconi and Goonhilly, DXing began in Cornwall/Kernow  Wink
John
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:55:17 AM by G3UCQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: