The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Poll) How is your end fed wire antenna configured?  (Read 27611 times)
K5ACL

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »

http://k5acl.blogspot.com/2016/03/long-wire-antenna-poll.html

Enjoy Smiley

Post edited 03/31/2016 to show new poll:
https://surveyplanet.com/56fd2c58c05c3c071b3c4aba

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:19:47 AM by K5ACL » Logged

K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »

Thanks for all the votes thus far! Horizontally below 20 feet seems to be the best option, but only about 50 votes so far, keep it going! Going to post a series of polls and publish the results eventually in a .pdf

AF7EC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »

Just a note...

On my browser, the propagation / space-weather widget is covering the scroll-bars of the poll...some visitors may not know there are more options beyond what you initially see.

Blessings :-)

An imperfect being created by a perfect God Cheesy
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »

Pick one does not work for me as I have several in different orientations.

That means: inverted L, horizontal high, horizontal low and vertical (both).

I also have a end fed 250ft long wire that is a mix of inveted V and low wire.
Think of a end fed W with the legs of the W bent down and toward the reader.
That pretzel was to fit that much wire (half wave on 160) on the property.

Allison
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

I have the 75' horizontal section, at approximately 27', between two trees, with spring loaded, antenna tensioning devices at each end.  The vertical leg of approximately 26' is terminated in a 4:1 UNUN which is then routed through a coaxial, surge suppressor to an LDG Remote Tuner.  The other side of the UNUN goes to a field of eight, 33' radials.

K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »

Thanks for all the votes. 144 total.

Looks like inverted L (feed point low) & Horizontally configured were the top 2.

73's

K5ACL

AD5IW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:38 AM »

I have the 75' horizontal section, at approximately 27', between two trees, with spring loaded, antenna tensioning devices at each end.  The vertical leg of approximately 26' is terminated in a 4:1 UNUN which is then routed through a coaxial, surge suppressor to an LDG Remote Tuner.  The other side of the UNUN goes to a field of eight, 33' radials.

Does this antenna have gain in any direction?  What is the pattern?

Thanks for posting the picture diagram.  This setup might work for me.  I have a couple of locations that might work so I am wondering which direction to orient it.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:26:36 AM »

Does this antenna have gain in any direction?  What is the pattern?

Thanks for posting the picture diagram.  This setup might work for me.  I have a couple of locations that might work so I am wondering which direction to orient it.

It seems to have more gain broadside but, not as big a null from the ends as you would anticipate seeing.  I can give you nothing more definitive than that without doing field strength measurements which is not possible.  This was a compromise to fit available space and keep it as stealthy as possible.
N1KTJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:16 AM »

you cant read the poll results.  two lines say vertically configured, and then are cut off.  maybe list them again in the message string so we can understand the different configurations popularity?
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »

Apologize, the survey website wouldn't let me adjust the window, but here are the results typed:

1. Horizontally Configured (under 20 feet) -28 votes
2. L Configuration (feed point low) - 27 votes
3. Horizontally configured (over 20 feet) -21 votes
4. Sloper (feed point low) -20 votes
5. Sloper (feed point high) -19 votes
6. Vertically configured (feed point low) -11 votes
7. Random wire pattern -11 votes
8. "U" pattern -4 votes
9. Vertically configured (feed point high) -3 votes

I could always post a new poll if everyone would want one? I was just curious initially when I came into the hobby as to how most folks have their end feds.

Initially, end feds seem appealing to most, but the length of the wire is usually what dictates the configuration. My end feds are usually in a sloper or an "L" configuration because that's what works in my backyard. At one point I even had my end fed wrapped around my yard fence, and while it worked really well for receiving, I think the ground loss gave me trouble when transmitting with a wire that low. The great thing about end feds? You can try them in a bunch of different spots and see how they work!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:33:08 AM by K5ACL » Logged

N1KTJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:20 AM »

am experimenting with end fed and a UNUN via dropping a wire out a window with a weight on the end.  cant tell how this will work yet, but it does tune up fine.

Looks like that is the least popular configuration though.  (vertically configured - feed point high).

W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:43 PM »

In my last home I ran in the Attic a DX-EE fan dipole along with a full sized 75 meter dipole with a 60 meter leg on it along with a Diamond X-200 VHF/UHV antenna.  This was fed with two runs of Andrews 1/2 inch super flex with the HF set going thru a Remote antenna switch box.  Cables were run from attic to terrace level Ham Shack in 2 inch PVC installed by the builder to my specs.  Ran a full KW SSB into the hf antennas with NO RFI anywhere as they were cut/adjusted to resonance and no tuners used.

Now to present day.  New home less than a year old also HOA controlled outside area.  Had another 2 inch PVC conduit installed (2 times because they could not read house plans on an 8.5x11 inch of paper) from attic to terrace level hamshack.  This one is twice as big as the other. Currently have a new DX-EE dipole for HF (with a full KW) and the Diamond X-200 for VHF/UHF.  Also ran a separate feed to RG-8X in the overhead rafters and thru to under the deck to a 3/8x24 mobile mount adapter on a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate bolted under the deck that sticks out 10 inches.  I use this to mount my Outbacker antenna on it for use when I want it.  It is black and you cannot see it from the street and if on the deck you still have to look for it.  Under it is 10 radials of various lengths that drop straight down and flow in the flower bed around the deck.

OOPS Posted in wrong area, my bad.  Sorry

It all works great and can work Europe, SA, all over the USA.  Only issue has been not hearing any of the last two DX Peditions at all.  But that is fine since I am not working to get on the Honor Roll, just having FUN.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:24:17 PM by W4CNG » Logged
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 07:17:01 AM »

Wow, over 12k views on this post, if I would have known it would've been this popular I would've dressed for the occasion. lol

I've redone the survey, hopefully a bit better this time, added some configurations. This was viewed so many times figured this topic was of interest to a lot of hams (I know it is in my HOA situation). I've probably tried my long wire in 100 different spots around my yard, for some reason I always end up going back to a sloper.

https://surveyplanet.com/56fd2c58c05c3c071b3c4aba

Enjoy! Survey planet won't show the results in the end, but i'll post them here periodically.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:28:53 AM by K5ACL » Logged

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »

So is there a category for:  horizontal, feedpoint at ground level, far end 30' off the ground?
I've used setups like that a couple times when I was on the side of a hill.

Probably one of my best performing end-fed wires a sloper fed at the top (Zepp feed 50' up in
a cedar tree), after the tide came in beneath it.

The 600' long wire running down the hill actually worked rather poorly one Field Day, so we
didn't use it.  But I had the satisfaction of asking one of the bystanders to untie the far end
of it for me when we were taking everything down, without telling him how long it was...

Perhaps a more important question than the wire configuration (which will depend to a large
extent on the circumstances) is how they feed it and what they use for a ground system.
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »

Results as of 04/11/16:

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: