The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WW1USA VIOLATING PART 97  (Read 22165 times)
KG9SF

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »

Saw a spot on the cluster saying WW1USA is not using callsign.  I went there and listened on 14.257
There is evidently an unlicensed YL op at the mic.  I heard her make 21 consecutive contest-style contacts without using the special event callsign.  Finally someone asked what her callsign is and she stumbled through it.  I have no idea how many contacts she made before I started listening.

Like it or not, FCC requires you to use your callsign at the end of each contact.  It's very clear.

Evidently there was no control operator overseeing her activity.

Lid activity like this gives us all a black eye.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »

Kinda like W7P working General class ops on 14220 by the hand full.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:34:04 AM »

W7P is not going to check every call sign they work, (nor should they have too), for license class...  So no it is not like that at all...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »

However, the two OMs were great as the control ops when I work the station on 20M, and excellent signal to Ohio too. Always fun to work WW1USA.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

Saw a spot on the cluster saying WW1USA is not using callsign.  I went there and listened on 14.257
There is evidently an unlicensed YL op at the mic.  I heard her make 21 consecutive contest-style contacts without using the special event callsign.  Finally someone asked what her callsign is and she stumbled through it.  I have no idea how many contacts she made before I started listening.

Like it or not, FCC requires you to use your callsign at the end of each contact.  It's very clear.

Really?

47CFR97.119(a) states that each Amateur station must transmit its assigned call sign at the end of each "communication" & at least every 10 minutes.

Are you narrowly defining each contact as a separate "communication" for the purposes of 97.119(a) ?

How do you know she was "unlicensed"?  Because she stumbled over the call?  Could it be nothing more than an op inexperienced in running a special event station being nervous?  (And how else would an inexperienced op get experience, hmmm?)

Methinks you are looking for an excuse to blast the operation.

Someone doing the best she can is hardly something to give the Amateur service a "black eye".  A [ redacted ] looking for an excuse to display his [ redacted ] and [ redacted ] in the vain and misguided hopes of making himself look good in his own eyes, though...

Leave the op be.  There's plenty more frequencies to operate on than the ones that WW1USA is currently using; if you're that hot and bothered, QSY elsewhere.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 02:07:19 PM »

WOW!  Now you will have to complain about a few thousand Field Day and Special Event operations.  Sounds like a full time job.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »

W7P is not going to check every call sign they work, (nor should they have too), for license class...  So no it is not like that at all...

Just a sign of the times...who cares if they are out of band..just work them and let someone else deal with it..and W7P WOULD know op class as they confirm QSOs for QSL requests  or at least they should...just maybe that is asking too much to follow the rules..its a free for all!!!

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »

W7P is not going to check every call sign they work, (nor should they have too), for license class...  So no it is not like that at all...

Just a sign of the times...who cares if they are out of band..just work them and let someone else deal with it..and W7P WOULD know op class as they confirm QSOs for QSL requests  or at least they should...just maybe that is asking too much to follow the rules..its a free for all!!!

Again you are in error, actually you are in error three times in your last post, alone.  Your first error-- W7P should not have to check each call as they are worked for license class, PRIOR to a QSO, no station should...  Your second error-- stating that W7P was breaking the rules by inference, it is not breaking the rules for W7P to unknowingly work someone who is operating out of band, it is the person operating the station who is responsible.  So yes, just work them in the pileup.  Your third error-- when you say it is a "sign of the times", it has always been this way, you work the stations calling you in the hope that they are legal, you don't assume everyone answering your call is running illegal, and verify they are not PRIOR to every single QSO you make.  

Consider this, if we follow your recommendation, every QSO you have, YOU become responsible for checking that the operator is operating in band...  So if you don't have Internet, or a call book, you turn off your rig...  Doesn't sound like such a good solution now, does it?

The responsibility is NOT with contacted station in cases such as you described.  

The real sign of the times, are people posting insane positions, and then defending them...  

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

WOW!  Now you will have to complain about a few thousand Field Day and Special Event operations.  Sounds like a full time job.

perhaps he should start with certain contestors first
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »

Just become an ARRL Official Observer (OO) and send all the postcards you want to the so-called offenders.  Make sure you get your official OO decoding ring and ID card as well.
W8LV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »

Some guys sport tee shirts that say: "Life's too short for QRP".

Other guys sport tee shirts that say:  "Life's too short for QRO".

But really, when you get to my age... you begin to get it, that really:

" Life is too short".

Couldn't we all just enjoy the hobby? After all, YOUR Last Issue of QST IS coming...the one that you will never get around to reading: It's the one your XYL will pull out of the mailbox, and YOU will be listed on the Silent Key page.

Just something to think about.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »

Just become an ARRL Official Observer (OO) and send all the postcards you want to the so-called offenders.  Make sure you get your official OO decoding ring and ID card as well.

You forgot about the ham radio operator badge.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »

Yep!  Bet she was some hot looking YL CBer that the control op was trying to get in good with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: