Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "No eQSL pls" - what's this?  (Read 4653 times)
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 04:59:09 AM »

Those who specifically need a confirmation from me can send me a card and SASE.  This saves a lot of time over the eQSL system.  Only a fraction of the people submitting to eQSL need my card for anything yet I would have to confirm everyone sitting there to be sure that those who needed it.  The manual confirmation (i.e. checking each QSO personally) is simply too time consuming.

As I check my log, I've only received QSL confirmations for 606 QSOs out of 4161.  These were mostly ones that I specifically requested.  Possibly as many as 100 of those were ones who requested cards of me first.  So say everyone has uploaded their logs once eQSL started up.  What is more time consuming, filling out 100 cards spread over 14 years for those who definitely DO want my confirmation or checking and confirming 4161 entries because the person on the other end MIGHT want my confirmation.

I got tired of checking eQSL real fast when most of the entries were of no interest to me or the other party as they were simply uploading their logs in their entirety.  Automatic matchup is a must for that kind of system and until eQSL implements that, their system is simply too lame.

These days I seldom bother.  If I want a confirmation, I send a card (and SASE, etc) as I always have.  If they need my confirmation, they can do the same.

As far as ARRL not counting eQSLs, its ARRL's award and their rules.  Afterall, eQSL doesn't count hard copy towards their awards.  He who confers the award makes the rules.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 06:22:59 AM »

KG4RUL said: "When two people agree that a contact has happened then it surely has happened, ARRL rhetoric aside."

I agree with this statement.  However, for DXCC award purposes, there is the problem of proof (to a third party, in this case ARRL) that the contact occurred as described.  The ARRL has every right to determine what constitutes satisfactory proof.  Their high standards maintained over many decades makes their awards programs so highly respected.  I, for one, would not care to see those standards lowered.

KG4RUL also said: "Andy says he "over 300" eQLSs waiting for him. However, he does not choose to respond to them.

Why not??? "

As one who neither downloads nor responds to eQSL's, I simply choose to QSL in my own way-- either by QSL card or using the Lotw.  I am under no obligation to participate in eQSL just because they have a web-site.

73 de Chuck  NI0C

K0AMZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »

Some countries want "green stamps" I still e-qsl and LoTW 100%  and will hard copy countries I want.  I'll also hard copy stateside when asked.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 05:40:17 AM »

Chuck,

Could you comment on this item.  Apparently the ARRL accepts 'self certification' for this award.  Why not all?

++++++++++

* Deadline is December 31 for ARRL WAS/90 Award: There's still time to make your 50 contacts to qualify for the ARRL Worked All States in the 90th Award. No QSLs are necessary. Just fill out the application showing the contacts you've logged. To be valid for the award, all contacts must be made between 0000 UTC on April 3, 2004, and 2359 UTC on December 31, 2004. WAS in the 90th applications will be accepted through 2005. For more information, visit the WAS in the 90th Web page <http://www.arrl.org/awards/was-90>.

+++++++++++++

"No QSLs are necessary. Just fill out the application showing the contacts you've logged."  Sounds like LOTW or eQSL or Cardboard is not needed here.

Dennis / KG4RUL
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 09:08:47 AM »

Dennis,

I know what you are saying.  It sounds like double standards-- indeed this is the case. However,in this case (as well as with the Millenium DXCC), I believe ARRL is trying to stir up band activity and interest in folks who've already achieved their DXCC and WAS awards.

Other organizations and individuals have done similar things.  For instance, "The Low Band Monitor" gives awards every year to hams who submit logs showing QSO's with all continents on 160m, or 100 countries on 80m, or 150 countries on 40m in a single "season" beginning Sept. 1 and ending March 30.  Again, it's an incentive to stimulate band activity.  

These are all worthy activities (as are eQSL's awards program for confirmed contacts within its own system); however none of these are held in the same regard as the DXCC and CQ WAZ awards (both of which started before WW2).

73 de Chuck  NI0C
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 07:16:23 PM »

I don't bother sending "No eQSLs pls", but having learned how eQSL works I will not check them not respond to them, and generally not bother with them.  If you send me the old fashioned postcard QSL I will send you one 100% of the time.

Oh, and yeah, I'm working on QRP VUCC on 6m.  eQSLs don't count.

Caity
K7VO
WB9UAI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 09:19:02 PM »

What burns me is getting an eQSL in response from a station I've sent a 'real' QSL + SASE, or Canadian station I've sent a card + SAE + $1 US !

"Thanks for the buck chump, here's your worthless eQSL in return".

John Wilke
K9RZZ

CU2JU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 10:55:34 AM »

its not my reason, but you may not beleive how many hams dont have internet! why should these people have 500 eQSL card requests with out even knowing what that is?!

Cheers
Ricardo
CU2JU
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: