The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rasp pi2  (Read 25858 times)
KB2WVO

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:20 AM »

anyone know if able to hook your radio right to the pi . not having a interface to run say psk and such digi modes?

seems like it sould be able to ?? any ideas thoughts or how tos ?
thank you
W6IR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »

The Pi lacks a mic input so as is it is not suitable for digital modes. You'll need a USB soundcard dongle to interface to the Pi.
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

ok bummer was hopeing the header pins could be hooked up some how to the data port on the radio.. bummer ..
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:17 AM »

ok bummer was hopeing the header pins could be hooked up some how to the data port on the radio.. bummer ..

There are sound cards for all the Rpi models. Google "raspberry pi 2 sound card" for details.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »

A USB sound card ought to work fine with hooking the mic in and audio out jacks to the radio. In addition to the relatively expensive solutions for ham radio products for USB interfaces like SignalLink, an $8 USB sound card from Amazon has been found to work. Here is a link to the list of devices known to work:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Sound_Cards

Notice the entry for Kingwin. "C-media USB Headphone Set". Specifically, one that uses the Cmedia CM-119 chip. Here is the one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS

To get this adapter to work, some editing of the Linux Raspbian operating system code is needed to use this type of sound card. Here is a link for where to start:

"[SOLVED] ALSA/C-Media USB sound card issues"
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=314611

and then follow the links at the bottom of that page in a post made on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:10 am.

It entails some possibly unfamiliar work, editing Linux files, but then again the cost is $8 and free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member.

Ted, KX4OM

Note: You will of course need to use an isolating interface between the sound card and the transceiver.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:37:43 AM by KX4OM » Logged
WM6H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 05:39:53 AM »

The least expensive USB Audio Adapter I found on Amazon Prime was $5.84

If time is not an issue, how about $1.84

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007HISGRW/ref=olp_f_new?ie=UTF8&f_freeShipping=true&f_new=true

But I haven't tested the above really cheap ones on rPi 2

I've used CMedia HS100 and the Sabrent on rPi 2 and rPi 0

When you use a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero, the USB audio adapter is a significant cost driver!

Bob
wm6h
WM6H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »

Just a note. My $1.84 USB sound adapter arrived 8 days ahead of the earliest estimate and it worked!
Sine in sine out. No phase jumps. Didn't check THD or such.
Worked in my radio channel TiVo-like recorder:
YouTube: https://youtu.be/B_0xw3UHO2g

Pretty amazing.

Bob
wm6h
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

Bob,

There was a post here or on QRZ recently asking for just that instant playback capability, e.g., missing part of a call sign. Good work on the video, and I subscribed to the channel. That is a great targeted application for the $5 Pi.

So far I've tried out my horrendously expensive ($8) USB sound gadget from Amazon only on the laptop. Should have got the sound card you did and got on a wait list for the Pi junior. I've got some work ahead of me in getting the fldigi Pi B+ going. I got a cheap composite video backup camera display to see if 4.3" diagonal will work for the field.

Ted, KX4OM
WM6H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 05:21:32 AM »

Ted,

Thanks for watching.
I have a feeling the $5 Raspberry Pi Zero will always be in short supply.
I don't see how they can make any money.
They've been bundling the zero with other components that have profit. You might have to get one as part of a package.

wm6h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: