The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDI issue with Windows 10  (Read 12445 times)
W9VMF

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:06 AM »

Greetings,

I did a quick search but did not find much info.   

I decided over the weekend to finally program my VX7R and ran into a problem with the USB emulator of the RS232.   It took me a while to discover the "problem".  Let me frame this a bit by saying I have 2 cables with no ID of any type on them that I got with my Radio.  I tried to program with VX Commander and the Vertex software and both produced the same code 10 error.  Both cables also produced the code 10 error.  All combinations produced a code 10

So I tried to down load a driver update which screwed up my laptop and I had to do a revert to previous state Sad.  I also tried to run the chip identifier software which failed to ID a chip (both cables)

I understand that Windows 10 does not properly ID older versions for the Prolific chip - is this true?   I also understand that Windows 10 is configured to block counterfeit chips as well.  Is this also true?

At this point I am lost between the Prolific chip / FTDM. and then Windows 10 on top of it for use with my VX7R.   Do I assume that both of my cables are "bad"?  If so how do I properly identify a cable that will play nice with Windows 10 and the VX7R?

As a side note I did update the programming for my FT8800R (different cable for the FT8800R) using the same USB port with Windows 10 and the emulation worked perfectly.

I appreciate any input as I really am lost at this point and would really like to program the HT as the menu scheme could drive a guy crazy on the VX7R

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

I ran into exactly the same thing when I went from Win8.1 to Win10.... until I found this: http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html

I am running Win10 64 bit and it worked for me. I am using CHIRP to program my Wouxun HT using a cable from RT Systems.

Good luck!
W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »

Thank you!

I'm running 32 bit but will give that option a try in the next couple of days   Smiley
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »

And Windows 8, 8.1, and Window 10 are set by default to automatically update your drivers without your permission or even notifying you of the update. So, no matter how many times you remove the driver files and reboot, the next time you insert the USB-To-Serial adapter, Windows installs the newest non-working version again. Yes, it's frustrating as hell.
W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »

I think that was why I had to revert back to a prior state after trying to load the drivers the first time.  Even my WiFi wasn't working.

Maybe trying to run Linux is a good idea even if I have to re-learn the OS
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »

All I can tell you is the fix I posted above works for me just fine without having to reload the drivers each time.
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »

If you are not using a laptop - install a real serial board. I have two ports and they always work - no fiddling with drivers.

Bill W2BLC
W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »

Absolutely no luck getting anything but a code 10 on my Laptop.   I will go hunting for a serial cable unless someone has some other suggestions
W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »

A serial cable worked brilliantly; Problem solved!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 05:21:06 AM »

If you are not using a laptop - install a real serial board. I have two ports and they always work - no fiddling with drivers.

Bill W2BLC

The "real" serial board uses same hardware/software emulation as a USB to serial adapter cable....

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 06:06:49 AM »

I understand that Windows 10 does not properly ID older versions for the Prolific chip - is this true?   I also understand that Windows 10 is configured to block counterfeit chips as well.  Is this also true?

Well, you already fixed your issues, so this may be a little late. But then, it doesn't contain a real solution. Just some information.

I just went through a Windows 10 upgrade and a Windows 10 new installation. I was expecting the possibility of problems with my USB to Serial Port converter cables, but that never happened. Both machines were 64 bit laptops and all of my USB to Serial Port converter cables (3) are Prolific.

When I initially plugged in the USB to Serial Port converter cables into my new laptop, the system notified me that it didn't have a driver. But before I could do very much, it said "never mind", installed new drivers, and configured them as COM ports. I installed FLdigi, HRD (old free version), and DXlab. All of them worked just fine with the USB to Serial Port converter cables. One cable is used for rig control and the other to handle PTT/CW Keying.

These USB ports were USB 3.0 ports, so that may have been the difference. The laptop also has a USB 2.0 port, but it is used for a wireless mouse. As with the other ports, it configured as soon as I plugged in the mouse dongle.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KG7WBW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »

Those looking for FTDI drivers using Valley-Ent programming cables can go here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: