The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone no who makes this key?  (Read 5780 times)
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »

http://www.hamuniverse.com/skirtedknobkey.gif

It was posted by N2EY on this site.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n2eycodekeys.html

Hmm. I would edit "no" to "know" but looks like I can't.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:07:14 PM by HAMHOCK75 » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/492

Looks like a Nye Viking "Master Key".
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »

Thank you. Just the information I needed.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »

I've got a Nye Viking "Master Key", but I prefer the feel on a good ole J38 clone. The master uses a leaf switch hidden in the base, which makes the feel a little too mushy for my taste. YMMV.

Jim K6JH
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »

I bought one off eBay but it is actually a MFJ 557 code practice oscillator with key. The "Master Key" replaces the plastic MFJ key. It just came in the mail about an hour ago. I was not sure what I was buying but I wanted to try a key with a Navy knob.

I disassembled it already to see what is inside. The thing weighs 2 lbs. 12 ounces on my scale with the MFJ parts.

The "Master Key" is a hollow aluminum casting with an aluminum plate covering the bottom. The leaf switch is attached to the bottom plate. I guess the mushy feeling comes not from the leaf switch but when the contacts close on the leaf switch, the switch pushes down on the aluminum bottom cover which can flex. I don't have that problem because the original owner removed the feet from the "Master Key" and bolted the bottom plate directly onto the MFJ 557 steel base plate which is 1/8" thick. So when I push down, it closes the leaf switch which is now against the 1/8" steel plate which is really rigid.

It takes some getting used to the feel of the Navy knob though. With a regular knob, I tend to move the key with more with the thumb and middle finger but with the Navy knob, I tend to rest the thumb and middle finger on the skirt and use my index finger. I can use it both ways but using three fingers on just the top or two fingers on the skirt and the index finger on top.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:26:34 PM by HAMHOCK75 » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »

I prefer a navy knob and the larger gripping surface it offers.
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »

I have been thinking about where I have seen contacts like used in this key. They look just like relay contacts. Long spring fingers with contacts on the ends. The opposite ends are isolated by bakelite or a similar material with the wire connections at the bakelite end. What you see in the area where the normal contacts are in a regular key is a plastic rod which goes down into the aluminum casting and pushes the relay contacts together. I couldn't tell that from the eBay picture but was worried that the diameter of the plastic rod might be the width of the contacts. The relay contacts down inside the casting are quite large by comparison to the plastic rod.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

I've got a Nye Viking "Master Key", but I prefer the feel on a good ole J38 clone. The master uses a leaf switch hidden in the base, which makes the feel a little too mushy for my taste. YMMV.

Yup...terrible straight key.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 05:39:37 AM »

Ham, you could also have asked Jim, N2EY, via eham.  Jim's a long-time regular here and a very pleasant and helpful guy!
 73!  --ken
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

Thanks Ken. I did not realize that. I am pretty new here. I think I joined around October, 2015 after I got my license back in September.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »

I owned one a few years ago for my boatanchor rigs. No exposed hot wiring. I never liked the feel of the mechanism and went back to the Lionel J-38 I got as a Novice. There are some good isolation interfaces for safety now.

Ted, KX4OM
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »

One of these days I will remove it from the MFJ 557 base just to see what it feels like when there is no 1/8" steel plate under it to prevent the aluminum baseplate moving when it is keyed. Guess I am lucky that the previous owner did that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: