The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power supply adapter  (Read 14353 times)
KB9MNA

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

I have a Radio Shack DX-390 same as Sangean ATX-818 shortwave radio and it calls for a power supply adapter that is rated 6V/400mA with negative center tip. I can not find this 6V/400mA, but I can find 6V/300mA and 500mA and not sure if 500mA is over kill and damage my radio. I'm tempted to try the 6V/500mA but really would like to know for sure. Please email me back at KB9MNA@gmail.com.

Tim
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »

I have a Radio Shack DX-390 same as Sangean ATX-818 shortwave radio and it calls for a power supply adapter that is rated 6V/400mA with negative center tip. I can not find this 6V/400mA, but I can find 6V/300mA and 500mA and not sure if 500mA is over kill and damage my radio. I'm tempted to try the 6V/500mA but really would like to know for sure. Please email me back at KB9MNA@gmail.com.

Tim

As long as the polarity is right, a 6V, 500 mA wall-wart will work if the current draw is 400 mA.  Don't go lower current or higher voltage, though.  Nor will a center-positive unit work.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »

Also avoid 'switching' power supplies as they can cause RFI that your radio will pick up, especially on the AM and SW bands.
 OEM-type AC adapters are best if they can be found.
 Your radio will only take in the current it needs. A higher current adapter won't force more current into the circuit to damage it. A higher current adapter simply will supply more current if required.
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »

but I can find 6V/300mA and 500mA and not sure if 500mA is over kill and damage my radio. I'
Tim

So this is what Amateur Radio has become!

Exactly HOW did this #%^^^# pass his license???

Please don't tell me he is an EXTRA...
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »

eHam.net;  The place to come for answers and warm, encouraging help from fellow hams.   Or, not!  Wink
KD2DNZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »

but I can find 6V/300mA and 500mA and not sure if 500mA is over kill and damage my radio. I'
Tim

And your license level is?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »

Tim

I took and passed Tech and General in 2012 and studied for Extra before deciding not to tackle it. I can say that modern ham tests don't really cover basic common sense info like what the OP is asking. Tech test is a very basic introduction to radio and basic rules, I think it's intended to be so basic because of the people who have to get a ticket for their job or for something like radio controlled airplane drones and such. General is mainly rules and regulations with some technical info. Extra has a lot of complicated algebra for such things as finding the resonance of a circuit. I know that a few months after passing Tech, I got a knock on my door from a guy who had passed the test at the same session I did, he was holding a Baofeng HT and had zero clue how to work it. He had been going around to various new hams and asking them how to work his wonderful Chinese gizmo. I was the only guy who could or would show him. He had some previous electronics knowledge according to him. But he couldn't figure out his HT.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:51:22 PM »

I have the exact same model radio.  I use the 6V 300mA power pack that Radio Shack sells, and have never had any problems.  As others have stated, a higher current rating will be fine.  The radio will only draw so much current.  You just don't want to over-Volt the thing. 

KU4UV
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

This thread is a bit old but FWIW, many of these power supplies are noisy spewing out RFI.

For serious DXing, consider running your radio on batteries...  pure DC.  Smiley
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 06:24:59 AM »

I have gone through the electronics junk boxes at Thrift/ABVI/Veterans/Goodwill second-hand stores to find AC adapters.
 You want to avoid the RFI-generating, 'switching mode'/regulated supplies and find the older plain transformer supplies that are nice and quiet for AM radios. More info:
 https://proaudioeng.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AC-Power-Supplies-and-RFI.pdf
 http://www.samlexamerica.com/support/faqs/faq18.aspx
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »

I salvage every analog wall wart I find at work that is headed out the back dock.  leave the stinkin' switchers behind.  the worst band-killers I ever saw came packaged with multicolor LED strips.  they all went in the trash, and I hit my stash. yay!

scary thing coming is EPA regs on power-saving wall warts.  more switchers coming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: