The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blizzard of '78 Anniversary #38  (Read 15531 times)
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »

Maybe JX should inform the Franklin County Ohio Sherriff's Dept. how mindless it was for them to have invested money for an 11m transceiver in their mega-buck mobile comms vehicle.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »

Maybe JX should inform the Franklin County Ohio Sherriff's Dept. how mindless it was for them to have invested money for an 11m transceiver in their mega-buck mobile comms vehicle.

Any good police department should try to MONITOR all comms but to suggest that they bank on it as a backup is really stretching it. I remember CB as a kid 50 years ago as wall to wall QRM and very limited range. I know range has not changed and I doubt QRM has changed much either though some have moved to ham bands via easy no code testing. Even cheap FSR UHF rigs are far superior to CB.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »

JX; Please slow down and read the poster's reply to you before engaging your keyboard.
 He was not talking about cellular phones but rather your statement about VHF/UHF HT's.
 Yes, not Everyone has an amateur license nor should they posses VHF/UHF rigs since they do not.
 CB IS an alternative and viable communications medium for the short range needs of the general population
 if worse came to worse. Like it or not-use it or not.

I am sorry but I do not and never have seen CB as a viable reliable short range option.
You are not the world. The fact that you have never seen CB used as a reliable short range communications option proves that. I know of emergency services providers that used CB. Today? No. But in the past. Yes. And you did say you have never seen it.
Maybe 40 or 50 years ago but not today.
Today. This past weekend. Maybe tomorrow. Lots of people. People may not  use them in the numbers  they did in the 70's, but they are still used.
There are more efficient and cheap methods out there.
Have you priced a CB recently? They are cheaper than many Chinese 2 meter handhelds.
If we have such a calamity that cell phones fail a CB is not going to save your arse or save the day. 
You don't know that. You have no way to tell. There are scenarios in which cell phones might fail, but CBs don't.

Open your mind... lot's of people routinely do things you don't...

Rick KK4GGL
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

I am sorry but I do not and never have seen CB as a viable reliable short range option. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago but not today. There are more efficient and cheap methods out there. If we have such a calamity that cell phones fail a CB is not going to save your arse or save the day.  
May I offer a rebuttal;

CB radio has some arguments in its favor;
1) it is a purely channelized system, channel 9 is the same wherever you go. If someone can read digits they can operate a CB radio
2) it is completely unlicensed, no delay (or reluctance) on anyone's part to grabbing the mic and talking
3) it is purely simplex, it is not dependent upon repeaters for range extension, or the concern of a repeater losing power or getting zapped by the calamity
4) almost every truck driver has one in his rig (even if sometimes their use is to the detriment of that hobby)
5) many sheriff's departments still put a CB radio in their cars and park it on channel 9
6) it is usually reliable for that ~2-5 mile communication

Now I have not had a CB in any vehicle for a very long time (since the days of rubber duck and the convoy song) but I sometimes do listen to their chatter. It ends up being not that different than what I hear on the local 2 meter repeaters (conversational and inane).

-- your dogma is getting in the way of my karma. HIHI

Tish, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:05 PM »

I am sorry but I do not and never have seen CB as a viable reliable short range option. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago but not today. There are more efficient and cheap methods out there. If we have such a calamity that cell phones fail a CB is not going to save your arse or save the day.  
May I offer a rebuttal;

CB radio has some arguments in its favor;
1) it is a purely channelized system, channel 9 is the same wherever you go. If someone can read digits they can operate a CB radio
2) it is completely unlicensed, no delay (or reluctance) on anyone's part to grabbing the mic and talking
3) it is purely simplex, it is not dependent upon repeaters for range extension, or the concern of a repeater losing power or getting zapped by the calamity
4) almost every truck driver has one in his rig (even if sometimes their use is to the detriment of that hobby)
5) many sheriff's departments still put a CB radio in their cars and park it on channel 9
6) it is usually reliable for that ~2-5 mile communication

Now I have not had a CB in any vehicle for a very long time (since the days of rubber duck and the convoy song) but I sometimes do listen to their chatter. It ends up being not that different than what I hear on the local 2 meter repeaters (conversational and inane).

-- your dogma is getting in the way of my karma. HIHI

Tish, AA4HA
 The one real advantage that CB has is that there are literal!y millions of them still sitting in people's closets, basements and attics collecting dust, leftovers from the CB heyday of the '70s and '80s!  If a major disaster hit and the electric power, landlines, cell phones and internet went down, many of those units could be hooked up to a 12 volt car battery and provide an instant means of communication for folks who would have no other viable way to call for help.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:31:46 PM by ONAIR » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 04:56:49 AM »

It is comical hearing people preach virtues of CB today and how good it could be when it is a very bad joke. CB is of very little value and not a savior in a emergency. VHF FM simplex or thru repeaters is VASTLY superior in range and intelligibility. To think cell phones will go down is a joke too. Sites are hardened and have backup power and they have portable cell towers that can be deployed quickly if needed. Cell phone has even replace a lot of ham radio needs too. At one time they talked about moving CB up into VHF range. If they had it could of been possibly more viable today.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »

It is comical hearing people preach virtues of CB today and how good it could be when it is a very bad joke. CB is of very little value and not a savior in a emergency. VHF FM simplex or thru repeaters is VASTLY superior in range and intelligibility. To think cell phones will go down is a joke too. Sites are hardened and have backup power and they have portable cell towers that can be deployed quickly if needed. Cell phone has even replace a lot of ham radio needs too. At one time they talked about moving CB up into VHF range. If they had it could of been possibly more viable today.

Apparently your fortunate enough to live in a relatively built up section of the country where there is already a well built up back up communications infrastructure and have not had  to deal with the lack of as most of us do up here some of the back forty states.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »

Apparently your fortunate enough to live in a relatively built up section of the country where there is already a well built up back up communications infrastructure and have not had  to deal with the lack of as most of us do up here some of the back forty states.

This is 2016 and not 70's and most of back country has come into 21st century.  While it is true that there are still some big holes in cell coverage it is not 40 or 30 or 20 even 10 states with this problem. I hunt remote areas of Ohio that was not even on cell coverage maps several years ago and I see changes from year to year and last time over a year ago I could use my smart phone to send messages or check web when 2 years before there was nothing.  Also whatever you think you might do on CB you can do far better on VHF and throw in a repeater and you can get great coverage from even a HT. As far as repeater reliability, they have good survivability and backup power usually. When I lived out west over 20 years ago they had a mountain top repeater that was solar and battery powered and was not even accessible for about 6 months a year that stayed on line and worked well. CB is a pipe dream and a dead horse for emergency use today. 

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: JX Post #38

Thanks for the technology update, rest assured that I f I ever decide to head out to the deep woods of Ohio especially in winter I will seriously consider removing my CB from my pick em up truck's tool box and leaving it here to home but I'll still bring my pipe and Borkum Riff. Wink                            
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »

Some folks just cannot imagine another person's opinion or findings or beliefs for that matter as being valid.
  Seems there's not much to do after retirement for many but to troll the internet forums of hobbyists and stomp us with
  their vast and seemingly never wrong opinions.
  JX; WE'RE ALL WRONG ALL THE TIME. PLEASE FIND THE GRACE TO FORGIVE US, SOMEHOW. WE PRAY, AMEN 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 02:59:26 AM »

When hurricane Sandy hit, where were all those portable cell phone towers??  Many people were complaining that they had NO power, NO internet, NO landlines, and NO cell phone service, for days!!!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: JX Post #38

Thanks for the technology update, rest assured that I f I ever decide to head out to the deep woods of Ohio especially in winter I will seriously consider removing my CB from my pick em up truck's tool box and leaving it here to home but I'll still bring my pipe and Borkum Riff. Wink                            

I know your are being sarcastic but if you really want help your odds are much better with 2m or cellphone. I would not bet on the chicken band. Its day has long past....

W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 02:58:25 AM »

"When hurricane Sandy hit, where were all those portable cell phone towers??  Many people were complaining that they had NO power, NO internet, NO landlines, and NO cell phone service, for days!!!"

150 years ago people would have just stayed in their homes waiting for the snow to melt without the need to worry about all the trappings of modernity.

It kind of seems that the more technology is available the more people become paranoid about their lives; posting the snow melting pictures by the minute on whatever electronic medium...

Carl - W9PMZ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »

"When hurricane Sandy hit, where were all those portable cell phone towers??  Many people were complaining that they had NO power, NO internet, NO landlines, and NO cell phone service, for days!!!"

150 years ago people would have just stayed in their homes waiting for the snow to melt without the need to worry about all the trappings of modernity.

It kind of seems that the more technology is available the more people become paranoid about their lives; posting the snow melting pictures by the minute on whatever electronic medium...

Carl - W9PMZ

We hand no power here for 5 days when the winds from Hurricane Ike caused over 500 million dollars in damage to power grid in Ohio from 80+ mph winds. Some places near here were out for close to 2 weeks and a friend in Dayton city was out about a week. There was no disruption of cell coverage in my area but power and broadband was down. Land line still worked as it is mostly underground in rural areas.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »

Carl - W9PMZ

We hand no power here for 5 days when the winds from Hurricane Ike caused over 500 million dollars in damage to power grid in Ohio from 80+ mph winds. Some places near here were out for close to 2 weeks and a friend in Dayton city was out about a week. There was no disruption of cell coverage in my area but power and broadband was down. Land line still worked as it is mostly underground in rural areas.
    With Sandy, there were even folks in Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey who had no power, internet, land lines or cell phones for days!  That's a long time to wait if one has an injury or other serious medical emergency or condition.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: