The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: intentional intereference?  (Read 21922 times)
KC1BMD

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »

Subject: intentional interference (cannot seem to edit Subject line to fix typo)
I notice some people intentionally interfering with ham communications ranging from isolated 1 on 1 QSO's, nets, contests, etc. It is sporadic but occurs more than I would like to hear (>0 is too much in my view). These people intentionally generate carriers, ramble and swear, or play audio to disrupt communications. I've had my General license for almost two years but have only gotten more active over the last 6-mo or so. I had my General license back in the late 60's but let it lapse before going to college and letting life get in the way but I really don't remember that kind of thing going on back then. Does anyone remember whether it was a problem then too? I've read some articles (e.g. QRZ.com) about some hams getting fined by the FCC. I'm not sure how strong their enforcement/punitive capability is or whether offenders go right back to doing what they were doing. My sense is that they are basically very discontent and unhappy people. I cannot think of a reason why else would they do it? I know people say to just ignore them but sometimes I just sit there and shake my head. Comments?
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:22 AM »

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »

I've heard it on 40m and 20m where I have been predominantly operating. Most recently it was 7.200 MHz but have heard it on 7.185, 14.290, often where some nets run but elsewhere also.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »

I've heard it on 40m and 20m where I have been predominantly operating. Most recently it was 7.200 MHz but have heard it on 7.185, 14.290, often where some nets run but elsewhere also.
There are those who simply don't like the subject matter which others are discussing. As long as the participants on a given frequency are operating within the confines of Part 97, what they converse about on the air is their business. Controversial does not equal illegal, though this point is lost on some. Similarly, tasteless doesn't equate to illegal...and one man's trash is often another man's treasure.

Hollingsworth once mentioned spinning the dial if the speck in another's eye activity in question is found "offensive" to a person.

That said:

Those who are clearly operating OUT of the guidelines of Part 97 (no identification, deliberately interfering with others, playing back dubbed audio without benefit of a call sign and so forth) should be identified and prosecuted. A pipe dream given today's FCC, I know, but one can hope they'll spend my tax dollars wisely.
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

Those who are clearly operating OUT of the guidelines of Part 97 (no identification, deliberately interfering with others, playing back dubbed audio without benefit of a call sign and so forth)...
That is what I was referring to. Clear violations. Those I've heard don't seem to care what subject matter is being discussed and their sole purpose is to disrupt communications. I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior and could only hope that they spontaneously vaporize.
W2NAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »

jamming and other asshattery been going on for quite some time. people think the 14.313 thing is something new, yet been going on what 30+ years?

will fcc do something? maybe. but remember it took what 15 years total for them to do something on K1MAN

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »

W2ibc I am kinda of a words person. I like the word asshattery. Can I use this word. Cool word is this an accutual word in the dictionary. Again cool word.
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

asshattery definition:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=asshattery

apparently asshat is a noun:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=asshat

Yup, that describes this class of people!
 Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:14:25 PM »

"Haberdasherectum" might be a substitoot.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »

Is calling CQ on top of a non-amateur station operating in a band where the Amateur Service is the primary service considered 'intentional interference' by the FCC?
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 07:02:35 AM »

Is calling CQ on top of a non-amateur station operating in a band where the Amateur Service is the primary service considered 'intentional interference' by the FCC?
I'm not sure but you could check the FCC regulations or contact them if you really wanted to know. I'm not sure why someone would want to do that anyway.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 07:35:56 AM »

Good one!
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:57 AM »

I guess I didn't notice the "? on first reading the response and thought you were signing. I do not understand the question (i.e. whether frequency means "MHz" or "how often"), nor do I know who Kenneth refers to.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:03:49 AM »

@G3RZP....By international conventions, the spectrum allocated solely to Amateur radio service makes amateur service operation the primary user.  Non amateur use of such spectrum would be illegal so amateurs should not be dissuaded from using the frequency in question.  This is pretty basic stuff.  Where amateurs are deemed secondary users such as 60 meters they must defer using a frequency if the primary users demand or request you to vacate.  The question is, how do you know that someone who uses a 60 meter frequency is the primary user?  Could they just be some maritime vessel's operator looking for a free frequency to RTTY with another friend on another ship.  We are told that 60 meters is a government allocation within the US; not sure about other parts of the world; how do we validate some station's primary use of those frequencies?  Also, with regard to 40 meters from 7.200 thru 7.300; this part of the band is primary useage by amateurs in Region 2 US specific. Apparently we hams in the US have been putting up with international SW stations encroachment in what was historically our total band from 7.0 thru 7.3 Mhz.  Only a few short years ago the international radio bodies were able to compel SW stations to move out of 7.1 thru 7.2 Mhz.  Therefore, when it comes to operating within 7.2 thru 7.3, most if not all hams here in the US could give a rat's ass about interfering with international broadcasters using that spectrum since we are primary users according to our FCC.  What's more shocking to me when it comes to 40 meters is that the ARRL and other radio societies seem to have given up the fight to claim back the 100 Khz (7.2 - 7.3) lost to the international broadcasters and would rather boondoggle membership dues to gain some puny 7 Khz below the broadcast band that only a handful of experimenters have any interest in.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1917verm.htm

Irving Vermilya, W1ZE, first US licensed ham recounts his on air antics fighting, name calling and jamming other hams, commercial & marine ops and navy radio comms.

All this is nothing new.  It's ham radios' dirty little secret.  b.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: