The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: intentional intereference?  (Read 21901 times)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »

@KA4DPO: "You said in another post that discussing it here might make it worse.  My response to that is why? "

Answer: Because they read these forums and they get off on the attention, leading them to to do it more, for greater notoriety.
One might say that ANY mention of ne'er-do-wells - whether it be on forum, blog, website, whatever - would have that result.

I'm more in the "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" camp. If anything it'll galvanize people to complain to the FCC about the interference problem. This, of course, supposes that the operators in question truly are breaking the Commission's rules and aren't merely being chastised for a difference of opinion or preference of subject matter...as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

The QRMers and jammers need to go away, plain and simple...after definitive proof of who and what they are has been amassed, and a solid case is built against them.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

I've heard interference since I was licensed in the 70's.

Me too. It might have gotten worse, but it is not a new problem
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

I've heard interference since I was licensed in the 70's.

Me too. It might have gotten worse, but it is not a new problem
I have no doubt that it's not a new problem, but I also sense that it's probably gotten worse.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »

There are several sorts of "intentional interference".

Let's take #1. A non-amateur station is operating in a band where the Amateur or Amateur Satellite Services are listed as Primary Users  by the ITU and there are no other Primary Users. Under the International Radio Regulations, a station in the primary service need not defer to a station in another service operating in the frequency band allocated to the primary service, although there is an implied restriction if the station or stations in question are handling distress traffic.

So screw them - they are occupying a frequency YOU are authorised to use and so causing illegal interference to you. Transmit over them - you have the legal right under the RR to which the US and other governments signed up.

#2 is the 7.2 to 7.3 MHz case - covered.

#3 is the anywhere in 7.0 to 7.2 where various countries have footnoted that part of the band is allocated to other services in their country on a primary basis. They have no valid complaint about interference from the amateur service from outside their frontiers, while there is a valid complaint from the amateur service of foreign countries about the interference they are causing outside their boundaries, which they tend to ignore..plenty of use in a contest of these frequencies gets interesting! So you can transmit.....

#4. Where the Amateur, Fixed and Mobile Services share on an equal co-primary basis. Each has as much right as the other - a typical case is 3.5 to 3.8 in Europe. Difficult one, and if the QRM comes from another country, the Administrations tend to shut the door and hide away! In practice, there seems to be a degree of 'live and let live'.....

#5. Deliberate amateur to amateur interference or DQRM. I have three possible answers:

a. Burning at the stake in public
b. Hanging, drawing and quartering in public
c. A Tomahawk cruise missile configured as an Anti Radiation Missile.

Some DX clubs feel these approaches are a bit extreme.....
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:20 PM »

This thread started with #5.
W8WOW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »

A pipe dream given today's FCC, I know, but one can hope they'll spend my tax dollars wisely.

They're too busy figuring out how they'll get more control over the internet. 
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »

A pipe dream given today's FCC, I know, but one can hope they'll spend my tax dollars wisely.

They're too busy figuring out how they'll get more control over the internet. 

You've got that right!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »

The concept of tax dollars/pounds/Euros/roubles etc being spent wisely is hard to grasp while the politicians have any say in the matter.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »

Plus I still feel that all those countries that footnoted frequencies between 7 and 7.2 must get some pretty upset users during the big contests - and long may it continue!
I wonder how much interference American hams with our kilowatts can create on region 1 megawatt broadcast stations.  And hams probably wouldn't use those frequencies if they wanted to chase worldwide DX.  But hams might use them to chase American DX. 
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »

The SW broadcasters on 7.2 to 7.3 are ideal tuneup locations as well great for SSB and AM ragchews a good part of the time.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:53 AM »

The countries that have footnoted 7.0 to 7.2 are spread within all three regions, and have footnoted for FIXED and MOBILE (not broadcasting) as PRIMARY services. This makes it probable that they are going to typically be under 1kW and many of them 100 watts or so. So my guess is that especially during a big contest, they are quite likely to have trouble - and serve them right!
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 07:22:22 AM »

...A non-amateur station is operating ...
So screw them - they are occupying a frequency YOU are authorised to use and so causing illegal interference to you. Transmit over them - you have the legal right under the RR to which the US and other governments signed up....

couple of facts to refute your opinion.

1. no "international" organization issued me my license, I am obliged to follow the rules and regulations of the U.S. FCC.

2. bearing item #1 in mind, FCC regulations contained in Part 97 specifically addresses this issue in Part 97.101 (d).

key word being "ANY"
HR2510

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

The WARFA jammers are laughing their collective asses off reading this thread.   This is a clique who know each other and have made it their mission on ham radio to broadcast their racist propaganda over a net whose members happen to be mostly African American.  

This bunch like to think of themselves as the "bad boys" of amateur radio and flaunt the rules at every opportunity.  Unfortunately enforcement is almost non-existent as in the case of William Crowell W6WBJ who most nights is on the air despite the fact that his license has been in limbo for years.  With the recent NAL of $25,000 against Mr. Crowell for him being caught jamming WARFA on 3.908 the FCC has virtually guaranteed that he will continue to operate legally for years.  It takes that long for a case to proceed through the courts.  And with Mr. Crowel being a retired attorney who seems to know the law especially about radio,  he is more than willing able to drag it out as long as possible.  There is a great joy in this bunch in being able to rub the faces of the government and fellow amateurs in the dirt.  

Then there are the copy cats who admire the flaunting of the rules, but can't bring themselves to ID themselves as potential troublemakers.  They love to play animal noises,  flatulence noses, or simply throw carriers on top of the "bad boy" frequencies of 3.840 or 7.255.  They apparently have family members who might think of tossing them out if an FCC technician shows up at the door demanding to see the station licensed to that address.  That and the associated fine that will undoubtedly show up in the mail.  

And all this time their wives thought they were simply out there "playing radio".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:46:48 AM by HR2510 » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »

ND6M,

It is not the first time the FCC has misinterpreted the international Radio Regulations - to which they blithely signed up to as an international treaty, theoretically binding the United States to implement them and then ignored them - and I don't suppose it will be the last. Your problem, not mine.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »

So just out of curiosity since I haven't seen any updates posted, will KZ8O's operating cease 22 Feb since the Feds will likely not renew his license or how does all that work out?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: