The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DMR Applications for EMCOMM?  (Read 21707 times)
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:42:58 PM »

Example: We used analog to support a BikeMS function. The management/back channel was on digital. Being off on that "special mode" can have it's uses. The field guys didn't need to know or hear (couldn't hear) the event management comms. Event management didn't need or want to hear all of the field comms. For either to hear the other, would or could distract from their primary function.

And it drives my point home.  Using any form of non-standard modulation method keeps a large percentage of your operators out of the conversation. 

"non-standard" ?? I guess I missed the RF Standardization portion of the exam. Please enlighten me as to which of the modes has been declared Standard, and by what regulatory body.

Non of our operators were kept "out of the conversation". They were conversing just fine where they were, and conversing with whom they were supposed to be.

I don't own equipment capable all of the digital modes, and I don't feel left out. If I go to serve an event, I'll show up with the equipment to accomplish what the event leaders want me to do. What's going on on the other modes, freqs, or channels is irrelevant to me, and what I'm there to do.

There is no standard or best mode. They all have their pluses and minuses. HF SSB and FM Analog are probably more prevalent than others, but the preface still applies.

Standard is pretty straight forward.  25Khz spaced 5 Khz Wide Band FM communications on the 2 meter or 70 CM bands.  In other words what EVERY SINGLE Kenwood, Icom, Yeasu, Standard, Radio Shack, .... ham radio meeting part 97 requirements is designed for in the terms of modulation and demodulation of an FM signal on those frequencies.

As far as the they can't hear us we can't hear them is as simple as changing frequency.  ANYTHING more that you do in regards to separation of us and them in ham radio is defined as obscuring the meaning of the transmitted communication. 

And you DID indeed state that you didn't want some folks to hear what was going on.  Specifically The field guys didn't need to know or hear (couldn't hear) the event management comms

K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »

Example: We used analog to support a BikeMS function. The management/back channel was on digital. Being off on that "special mode" can have it's uses. The field guys didn't need to know or hear (couldn't hear) the event management comms. Event management didn't need or want to hear all of the field comms. For either to hear the other, would or could distract from their primary function.

And it drives my point home.  Using any form of non-standard modulation method keeps a large percentage of your operators out of the conversation. 

"non-standard" ?? I guess I missed the RF Standardization portion of the exam. Please enlighten me as to which of the modes has been declared Standard, and by what regulatory body.

Non of our operators were kept "out of the conversation". They were conversing just fine where they were, and conversing with whom they were supposed to be.

I don't own equipment capable all of the digital modes, and I don't feel left out. If I go to serve an event, I'll show up with the equipment to accomplish what the event leaders want me to do. What's going on on the other modes, freqs, or channels is irrelevant to me, and what I'm there to do.

There is no standard or best mode. They all have their pluses and minuses. HF SSB and FM Analog are probably more prevalent than others, but the preface still applies.

.....Standard is pretty straight forward.  25Khz spaced 5 Khz Wide Band FM communications on the 2 meter or 70 CM bands. 
.......... (couldn't hear) the event management comms[/i]

Yeeeaaahhhh,........I'm still looking in the regs for that. I'll get back to you.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: