The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: contest logging programs  (Read 2238 times)
AC6CV

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:13 AM »

I am trying to set up N1MM+ to key my TS-850. Do I need an external sound card to key CW? (not MCW). I am using winddows 7. If I run hyperterminal the computer will talk to my transmitter but will not when I have N1MM+ running. What am I missing? I have my port set for CW on com 3.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:57 AM »

While you can often key a radio via an RS232 serial port, it can be a problem when booting the PC as it can key the radio accidentally. In addition, the keying can be erratic depending on what else the PC is doing.
Pretty much everyone uses a Winkey from K1EL, either RS232 or USB versions are available. I use one with N1MM+ and it works great.

73 Dave
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »

I am trying to set up N1MM+ to key my TS-850. Do I need an external sound card to key CW? (not MCW). I am using winddows 7. If I run hyperterminal the computer will talk to my transmitter but will not when I have N1MM+ running. What am I missing? I have my port set for CW on com 3.

I don't think the TS850 allows to send/key CW by CAT commands.

You'll need an extra CW interface, which (in the simplest case) can be built from a resistor and a transistor, but for additional isolation an opto-coupler might be a good idea.

A google images search for "serial cw interface" will give you more than enough inspirations Smiley

AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:28 AM »

Thanks for replies. Using the old N6TR software with DOS was much easier. I'll google CW interfaces and check out K1EL interface..
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »

Here's the circuit:

And here is my version of it built "dead bug" style on the back of a DB9 connector:

But please, no comments on my soldering skills! Works flawlessly with N1MM+, CWType, etc. I am running Windows 10 and also have an RS232 card in my computer. I can't say whether this will work with a USB-to-serial adapter.... but it should!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:35:20 PM by N0IU » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: