The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWJ transmitter building to be made into a restaurant and will be called 8MK  (Read 4470 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:56 AM »

The old WWJ art deco transmitter building just outside of Detroit will be turned into a restaurant. It is going to be called 8MK which was the orginal call sign of the station! Now how cool is that? I have always wanted to see the inside of the building and now I will finally get my wish.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/dining/2016/02/25/new-union-joint-restaurant-coming-historic-oak-park-building/80947872/

Zack
N8FNR
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »

Detroit was once full of cool art deco buildings. Most of them are gone or in ruins. When I was in Hollywood in 2001, I noticed that a lot of the old art deco commercial buildings on Hollywood Boulevard have been drastically "modernized".  Cry Cry
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »

I been by that building many times during my working days, I'm glad to see they are preserving it in some way....I've also been in several of Albert Kahn buildings in Detroit.....all very special places.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »

The WWJ transmitter building is located on the north side of West Eight Mile Rd. just west of Meyers Rd. which actually places it in Oak Park (Detroit is on the south side of Eight Mile).

The Albert Kahn designed building was built in 1936.  WWJ had been on the air for about 16 years at that point as it is one of the oldest radio stations in the nation. 

The 950kc 5 kw signal was clearly audible in my various crystal sets built as a kid as the transmitter was only about a mile and a half from my then Detroit QTH.

The building has, according to reports, not been in use for some time but there are 2 towers on the site that according to internet sources are used for TV channels 20 and 62. 

Have driven by the building many times and marveled at how cool it looks...  good to see it is being preserved.    Grin
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

My brother lives in Michigan... so next time I go out to see him I will definitely need to grab a meal there!
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »

Nowadays the transmitter site would be a nondescript cement block building out in the field.
Some smaller stations had the studios and transmitter in the same building, like WOLF Syracuse did
They had a little styling there. 
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »

When KCRA first went on the air in 1946 as a small BCB station, the owner located it right on the north fringe of downtown Sacramento, in an area that was mostly empty lots and abandoned Victorian houses that nobody cared about. The original building was a really cool example of mid-century moderne, and it was topped by a big tower. The building and tower are still there and are now part of the huge KCRA-TV studio complex. I think that the tower is now used to send transmissions to the main broadcasting facility south of Sacramento. The building was unfortunately hidden for decades by the Crystal Dairy buildings. Those are now gone and the land is being used for brand new townhouses, in a very desirable neighborhood of restored Victorians, high priced apartments, and even a Montessori school. I don't think KCRA has any photos of the original QTH on their website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: