The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad News For Microsoft and Win 10  (Read 30317 times)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »

I find that interesting too. Your not saying that Linux purposely generates a upgrade that breaks "lots of the old applications", are you? And then backpedals to try and find updates? What happens if it doesn't find updates? What happens if development stopped on the broken application. Are you then forced to find your own applications to replace it? Roll Eyes

A Linux distro like Ubuntu or RedHat will absolutely generate an upgrade that breaks older apps if the upgrade fixes a system-wide security issue. But that's not usually the case. But, unlike Windows (which is basically just the NT kernel regenerated over and over since the 1990s) you would find it difficult to install a 2001 version of Firefox onto a 2016 version of Ubuntu.

But if you have installed your applications and utilities using the "apt-get install" (or "yum install" for Redhat) command (or a package installer) then the upgrade utility knows this and will install a new version of that application that works with the new libs. It ALL gets upgraded.

However, if you compiled an application from source code, then it doesn't get upgraded and it's up to you to find a new version if the old one does not work or fix the code.

So, for instance, I have Nagios running on a server monitoring all the servers, switches and routers in an organization. I access Nagios using a web browser that puts a graphical representation of their network configuring on my screen at my office (or home, for that matter). When I upgrade the server Nagios is running on it is upgraded as well... at the same time. The upgrade utility knows what is installed, where I got it, and finds the appropriate package and installs it. The same goes for Chrome, Firefox, Open Office, etc.

But it would not upgrade my version of WSJT-X on my desktop in my ham shack because I compiled that from scratch. I'd have to either modify the source code or go to JT for a new version.

Still, it is pretty interesting to watch dozens of installed utilities and  applications get new versions installed.

A RedHat associated developer could reasonably be expected to have a new package rpm ready either in an upgrade itself or an easy download and install.

This is much easier than the last time (last summer) I installed Exchange 2013 on a new server while an Exchange 2010 (only one version older) was running. I received a notice of "pre-requisites" which I then had to find and install separately, one at a time, before the new Exchange server would even install. This made moving system email and users enormously more difficult and annoying.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »

Here is a video of an Ubuntu upgrade using the command line. Once the user gets the syntax right it goes pretty quickly. You can see applications getting downloaded and installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJp70Dt_UXs

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »

What is this "Windows" you speak of ?

~kop

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »

There is no 'Bad News' for Win10. There is , however, a contingent of obsessives who like to pretend that the inevitable is not barreling down...

They will go to Win10 or be relegated to a lesser capable OS. Case closed.
W1GVT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »

Danke, mein f├╝hrer.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 03:36:59 AM »

There is no 'Bad News' for Win10. There is , however, a contingent of obsessives who like to pretend that the inevitable is not barreling down...

... a less capable OS?
AHAh Hah AHA h Ah AhAh HA haha hha HA ha ..

Oh, you were serious?

Rick KK4GGL
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »

the semi auto updating of Win7 systems to Win10 was probably the biggest mistake

Intrusively annoying to say the least

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »

... a less capable OS?

Oh, you were serious?

Yep. You'll retreat to Linux. And rationalize, ignore, and complacently accept you can't run hundreds of free Windows ham apps the rest of us can and will to excess, just because we can. And you'll spend countless pixels trying to convince the rest of us that you are somehow morally and technologically superior for dumbing down your operation in the spirit of clashing with Microsoft. That's not necessarily bad, if you are OK with staying within your little gingerbread hut Linux playpen. It's all good.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 03:39:43 AM »

... a less capable OS?

Oh, you were serious?

Yep. You'll retreat to Linux.
That's upgrade.
And rationalize, ignore, and complacently accept you can't run hundreds of free Windows ham apps the rest of us can and will to excess, just because we can.
As opposed to the free apps I can run.
And you'll spend countless pixels trying to convince the rest of us that you are somehow morally and technologically superior for dumbing down your operation in the spirit of clashing with Microsoft.
I am not trying to convince anyone I am either morally or technologically superior. That's your incorrect inference. Are you having feelings of insecurity? And I'm not clashing with Microsoft.
That's not necessarily bad, if you are OK with staying within your little gingerbread hut Linux playpen. It's all good.
Just a little condescending, aren't you?

Rick KK4GGL
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:42 AM »

>Yep. You'll retreat to Linux. And rationalize, ignore, and complacently accept you can't run hundreds of free Windows ham apps the rest of us can and will to excess, just because we can. And you'll spend countless pixels trying to convince the rest of us that you are somehow morally and technologically superior for dumbing down your operation in the spirit of clashing with Microsoft. That's not necessarily bad, if you are OK with staying within your little gingerbread hut Linux playpen. It's all good. <
[/quote]

For a Sheep, Lambchops are the inevitable...

Just as good Rabbits love Headlights.

Things are only going to happen if you DON'T object!

American Stereotype proven again..

GOD Bless Snowden!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 05:53:25 AM »

... a less capable OS?

Oh, you were serious?

Laugh is on you Linux is okay for businesses that run a few custom apps that they pay big bucks for to have written but is a big step backwards on desktop

Yep. You'll retreat to Linux.
That's upgrade.

Big downgrade. GGL wants company in his mistake as misery loves company

And rationalize, ignore, and complacently accept you can't run hundreds of free Windows ham apps the rest of us can and will to excess, just because we can.
As opposed to the free apps I can run.

There are far more free apps for Windows....  For ever Linux app there is maybe 15 or 20 Windows apps. Not sure what planet you are from to even remotely suggest that Linux has as good of app support. Not even close. Also most apps for Linux have to be free because you would starve trying to make a living writing apps for Linux for money.

And you'll spend countless pixels trying to convince the rest of us that you are somehow morally and technologically superior for dumbing down your operation in the spirit of clashing with Microsoft.
I am not trying to convince anyone I am either morally or technologically superior. That's your incorrect inference. Are you having feelings of insecurity? And I'm not clashing with Microsoft.

Your are just trying to justify stepping backwards..

That's not necessarily bad, if you are OK with staying within your little gingerbread hut Linux playpen. It's all good.
Just a little condescending, aren't you?

No at all. Linux is little more than a toy or niche OS for desktop and nothing more. Once again that they use it in some business environments with custom apps they PAID big $$$ to have developed has no relevance to home desktop viability.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »

If one has the source code for an app written for windows just how much trouble is it to compile it for Linux?Maybe someone with $ could set up a foundation to help with compiling/marketing software to the Linux world. Otoh maybe Linux users are total cheapskates that value freebieness [i think i just coined a word] over functionality?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:13 AM »

If one has the source code for an app written for windows just how much trouble is it to compile it for Linux?Maybe someone with $ could set up a foundation to help with compiling/marketing software to the Linux world. Otoh maybe Linux users are total cheapskates that value freebieness [i think i just coined a word] over functionality?

Linux lacks market share for any serious home user support. Linux is kinda it own worst enemy here too because while kernal is fairly standard there are many many different flavors/GUI's and unlike Windows or even Mac no universal GUI programing standards because of this. If linux could meet and us one or two standards it would be easier to try to get some to support it. But, problem with open source code is this will never happen.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »

Linux lacks market share for any serious home user support.

Who are these serious home users? Care to categorize them? Or do you mean serious support?

Ted, KX4OM
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »

Linux lacks market share for any serious home user support.

Who are these serious home users? Care to categorize them? Or do you mean serious support?

Really? You expect W8JX to actually document his opinions? ROFL.

According to Wikipedia there were 70 million home Linux on-the-desktop (and/or laptop) users in 2015. But the amount of support is huge. An abundance of web pages offering everything from general installation instruction (www.linux.org) to detailed information on how to install, tune, program, Linux and Unix exists just a Google (or Bing, if you must) search away.

"Tune?" you ask? Well yes... Any Linux installation can be tuned for maximum performance depending upon its workload. Want to learn how?

https://aiscaler.com/wiki/linux-tuning-for-high-performance

Or would you like to add a couple of hard drives and configure them in software RAID? This would give your data redundancy; if one drive fails, your data can still be intact on the other drive.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-5.html

Or set up Linux to be your home file server?

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch02_04.html

Are they as easy as Windows? Nope; but that's why you're a ham radio operator; you like to figure things out.

Or how about setting up your Linux desktop so that your teen-aged kids have to go through it to get to the Internet web sites? Just configure Squid and change the associated computers to use a proxy at your desktop's IP address:

http://www.brennan.id.au/11-Squid_Web_Proxy.html

Don't want to do any of these but something else? Just search for it.

70 million desktop users can't all be wrong. In fact, you can count Microsoft as one of those users:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2984858/sdn/is-it-opposite-day-microsoft-has-a-new-linux-distro.html

Maybe some day you can call Microsoft support for help with Linux. Although, if you've ever tried MS support you'd much rather just use a Google search.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: