The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 7100 and turbo tuner  (Read 15295 times)
KB2HUK

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »

Hi gang!  In stead of buying a new tuner unit I am using a turbo tuner with my icom 7100 in the mobile .  The two has worked together very nicely for a couple of weeks and then it was put into the park position and will not move and the tuner sounds PP or JP  can't tell for sure cw is bad .  I also noticed that I do not see the red tx lamp come on when I hit the tune button ?  any ideas ?  please assume the bonding is done and chokes are in place .  thanks John kb2huk  Sad
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »

Hi gang!  In stead of buying a new tuner unit I am using a turbo tuner with my icom 7100 in the mobile .  The two has worked together very nicely for a couple of weeks and then it was put into the park position and will not move and the tuner sounds PP or JP  can't tell for sure cw is bad .  I also noticed that I do not see the red tx lamp come on when I hit the tune button ?  any ideas ?  please assume the bonding is done and chokes are in place .  thanks John kb2huk  Sad

I used to own a TurboTuner II for my FT-857D then I got an IC-7000 and a Tunematic.

Did you have the stall current set too low? It can blow the tuner or the motor in the antenna if you didn't adjust the dip switch inside the turbotuner. What antenna do you have? There are only 2 or 3 brands that use GOOD motors in them and the rest are purely junk.

Also, just a general point of view, I have noticed that about 99% of Screwdriver antenna owners improperly install their antennas as well as the feed line and control lines. The control lines ABSOLUTELY must be choked properly for common mode current. Not only the motor control lines but the pulse lines need to be choked separately as well as the feedline (coax) to the antenna. Anything less is spelling potential disaster for the electronics inside the TurboTuner or your transceiver.

In your scenario it may be possible that you have a loose connection, improperly set the dip switches for stall current and blew something, or you need to reinvestigate your Icom tuner settings in the radio menu to ensure they some how have not reverted to an improper setting. Usually a morse code from the TTuner is an error indicating something is amiss. It would be essential to pin down the exact error code it is producing.

One thing I recommend for troubleshooting is the following:
Disconnect the tuner temporarily and hook up your rocker switch and see if the antenna will move with you depressing the rocker switch. If it does move the problem is wiring or the turbotuner. At least it will help you rule out if the motor is bad. When I had my Scorpion off the truck, I took it inside to clean it, but forgot to extend it fully and hooked it to my desktop power supply and manually moved it so you can take your antenna in shack and extend it there if you need.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:50:27 PM by KK4YDR » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:17:29 AM »

If it is a Lil Tarheel, and you DIDN'T set the switches right, chances are the motor is gone. Do as Eric suggests, and you will soon know if you did. Also, the Turbo Tuner uses switchable diode array (L287?). About 1 amp is all it'll handle. Worse, RF will fry one fairly easily (poor choking?).

KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »

Thanks guys , the lines are choked , and I had the antenna moving while trouble shooting different settings in the radio .  I will continue to work on it and will let you know how I made out .  thanks for the help John kb2huk
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but what are the chokes?

KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

The chokes are # 31 and I am using 2 on each line at the antenna and at the radio also using smaller snap on s on the coax going into the radio not sure what size but they fit snug on rg 58 .  I was re thinking this and realized that this problem crouped up very close to the time I saved new memories and made changes to the SD card so I am going to pull the card out and take a close look at the changes I had made ...who knows ?   
John kb2huk
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:05:38 AM »

The chokes are # 31 and I am using 2 on each line at the antenna and at the radio also using smaller snap on s on the coax going into the radio not sure what size but they fit snug on rg 58 .  I was re thinking this and realized that this problem crouped up very close to the time I saved new memories and made changes to the SD card so I am going to pull the card out and take a close look at the changes I had made ...who knows ?   
John kb2huk

If they are not choked like this (From K0bg.com, Alan Applegate's website):

Then you are probably not choking correctly and that can lead to common mode current that can ruin all kinds of things, including, but not limited to your expensive radio final transistors and driver units.
W4EG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »

I have a Icom 7100 and I like to know if N2VZ Enterprises Turbo Tuner will interface with the radio?
I have set the switches per TennaTronix User Manual. However, I need to know if the CI-V plug needs to be modify or can it be plug to CI-V Remote Control Jack on the IC-7100.
Switch 1 all are off with the exception of #6 which is turned on for the 7100.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »

I have a Icom 7100 and I like to know if N2VZ Enterprises Turbo Tuner will interface with the radio?
I have set the switches per TennaTronix User Manual. However, I need to know if the CI-V plug needs to be modify or can it be plug to CI-V Remote Control Jack on the IC-7100.
Switch 1 all are off with the exception of #6 which is turned on for the 7100.

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this question. But the original poster of this thread apparently was running the combination you speak of. Send an email or PM them an I bet they can help you directly to address your issues. They work great on the 7000 and if I am right I think the 7100 and 7000 use the same CI-V address schema.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: