The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First CW Contesting Experience  (Read 8964 times)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »

You haven't lived till you have heard QUAAAAAAAAAACK QUA QUAAAAAAAAAAAACK QUA     QUAAAAAAAAACK QUAAAAAAAAACK QUA QUAAAAAAAAACK in my opinion. What a thrill to participate.
donVe3LYX
I had to smile at the way you managed to replicate the sound so well. I had *no* trouble translating that into the way so many stations were heard in the 1950s and before.

The Johnson Ranger - and, later the Navigator - were remarkable in their stability and the manufacturer used that to their advantage in the advertising. I can remember lusting after a Navigator. (I didn't even both lusting after Collins gear.)

May have to give all this a try. Do you have any links to where pre-1929 tubes can be bought?

And, thanks for that post. Smiley

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »

Yes that was funny, such a good imitation of it, and I then realized it spelt out CQ in just the way it used to sound!  Grin

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »

Do you have any links to where pre-1929 tubes can be bought?
Craig, you might try SND Tube Sales (WB0SND).  Not sure if my friend Mike has what you need, but it's worth a try.

BTW, I operated from an apartment during the late 1960's with a Johnson Viking Navigator, and Drake 2B, but with an indoor wire antenna.  I managed to work a lot of DX with that setup. 
Chuck  NI0C
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »

Here is one of my favourite animals A 211 hartley I built. I run it only about 1/2 throttle at 44 watts input but used it for all my 40m contacts in the AWA Linc Cundall Event this year. It gets the job done. I also have a freshly minted 211 TNT that is doing a great job for me on 40M. Besides that I have two  201A 80M Hartley and a TPTG running a 201A. That is just the tip of the iceberg. These things are fun. Inexpensive and addictive. 201A tubes are pretty decent. They were the most popular tube in their day for the old family neutrodynes and most were run off the family car battery for heater voltage so the tubes had to be voltage tolerant and are. I used to fret over keeping them at 5 volts (heater)till I read how to refurbish the cathodes/heaters by running them at 15 minutes at 40 volts or for 8 hours at 7.5 volts. I now just run them at 6 volts and don't worry about it. They last for years. One I use regularly is 89 years old. I had it on today for a couple of hours. On a transmitter in CW mode they can handle close to 300 volts on the plate with ease. I run mine at 282v because that is what my HB power supplies gives key down. I have heard of folks who run them much harder. They are to me very practical. Voltages are not goofy  as 5 volts or 6 today is easy to supply in many different ways.  I buy them mostly off ebay. (when I need them Currently my supply is sufficient)I try to buy them in lots of several but if I want one I want it and don't worry too much. Many like the 10 tube or 210 and its military equiv. It has odd heater voltage though so for me hasn't happened. They do perform well though. That is for sure. I have many friend who use them and love them. 45 s do well but are a bit fragile. I have a few but don't overuse them as they like to die at the most inconvenient times. Usually the heater (2.5 volts ) goes or they drop in emission to the point they are no useful. The 201A is almost invincible which is probably why I like it. Typical distances worked are 300 to 400 miles ATCF in normal conditions but on a good night you could span the continent. CW speeds with these old rigs seem to me always comfortable. My CW is Ok now after many years of dormancy but I never was or never will be a speed demon. I simply don't have that ability. This type of event suit me also for that reason.  Another source of tubes for me has been auctions and flea markets. Sometimes I have seen the old sets offered for say $75 dollars and no guarantee of operation. I check and if the five or six tubes are in there I shut up and pay. I will at the worst have enough vintage parts for some more transmitters or an extra regen and I will have 5 or six tubes at about $15 each. I can live with that. Even if all I got was the tubes.  The 211s even though they were first produced in 1929 can still be bought new. I just bought one for the TNT a few weeks ago for $89 in Canadian funds. Shipping was the standard $20 and delivery was believe it or not overnite. I hope that answers a few of the questions.
With the big tube rigs I don't get any further relatively speaking, I just get more replies if I am operating on non Vintage event days.
donVe3LYX
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:50:08 PM by VE3LYX » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: