Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swain's Island and more  (Read 569 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2006, 06:41:59 AM »

Just looked up Swain's Island in Wikipedia. It looks like the population is about 37 or so. Just wondering if the island is open to tourists or is basically a closed facility. How often could dxpeditions occur? I guess it would depend on the money and transportation situations. -- Now that we've had 2 new dxcc entities within a month, I wonder if more are coming. Any islands or reefs out there waiting to be next? thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:48:05 AM »

I have a raft in my swimming pool and have applied for entity status based on its distance from my shack.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll at least get IOTA status.

:-)
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »

Well, just getting some regular old DX entities on the air would be nice, like 7O and BS7

You can look forward to a lot more DXpedetions as we approach the zenith of the sunspot cycle.

Bob
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:50:34 PM »

I think BS7 can wait until the sunspots fire up again, thank you very much.

I've been a ham for 11 years, so I've seen exactly one cycle, trough to almost trough.  I remember when 15m started to open up to Asia and I heard my first station from China!  Before then, I'd never considered the possibility...

I don't think that I'm going to be working a lot of Asian DXpeditions these days.  KH8SI should be easy enough though... staying away from the polar paths makes all the difference.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »

I worked last year's expedition to Swain's, but that one doesn't count.  I'm wondering about whether Jarvis Island (KH5J) would possibly count with the new DXCC rules change. There was an expedition there about 10-15 years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: