The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Behringer UB802 use with single op, muti radios  (Read 20962 times)
W0XX

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »

Will the UB802 (from those with the experience using this device) allow me to interface 2 boom mic headsets to switch between say up to 4 radios (i.e. 1 headset would be used individuallly (of course) with 2 radios and another headset with the other 2 radios) with good isolation, no ground loops, etc?

Never used a mixer so know nothing about them.
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »

I use a Behringer q802USB, albeit only powering one condenser mic. That looks like a 6 input mixer, so theoretically it should work.

Just be forewarned though, getting the settings right with these things can be a bit of a headache.

(just from personal experience!)

K5ACL

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »

Will the UB802 (from those with the experience using this device) allow me to interface 2 boom mic headsets to switch between say up to 4 radios (i.e. 1 headset would be used individuallly (of course) with 2 radios and another headset with the other 2 radios) with good isolation, no ground loops, etc?

Never used a mixer so know nothing about them.

Hypothetically, you could use balance control for one set of mics to send them into the left channel which goes to one rig, and the balance control for the other set of mics to send them into the right channel which goes to the other rig.

But isolation provided by the balance pot is usually not too good and having two ops share the mixer console seems to be a poor choice.

I have used a Xenyx302USB for several things in the shack including voice SO2R keying via computer etc. So 2 rigs, but only one mic, and only one rig was ever keyed at a time so I never worried about stereo isolation.

I have also tried the Xenyx302USB for SO2R on RTTY, and found there was poor isolation between some sets of inputs. I believe that raw "line" inputs were well isolated when sent straight to USB, but anything going through the mixer had clear crosstalk between L and R channels.

I have since abandoned the Xenyx302USB for SO2R RTTY (poor receive isolation), but still do use it for SO2R SSB (where I don't care about receive isolation.)
K9EID

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »

Many small mixers available these days but they are to mix multiple microphones into a common output.   You actually are wanting to do the reverse.  One or two microphone into four outputs.  The mixer would not be the perfect way to do this.  One issue in connecting these four radio inputs into a common system will be ground loops and RFI situations.  Can be done but care has to be taken with lead dress, RFI chokes and ferrite beads.

I solved all of that with a two input/six output patch panel that works great.  Just like the old telephone operator, I patch the microphone I select with the two input switch into one of six transceivers and patch the footswitch to the corresponding transceiver.

I did the first one over 15 years ago for all of my high impedance vintage transmitters and it is still in use almost daily.  Decided to do it for the current models and it has also been a dream to use.   Check the video segment on HAM NATION/109  starts around 14:00 minute mark and my QRZ page.   This is the answer, Christopher.      BOB HEIL, K9EID

N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

When I re-did the mic system in my shack I went with a balanced microphone into Behringer 802 with minimal EQ'ing and then into dynamics processor that mainly just noise gates and peak limits the output level of the microphone audio to make it really hard to over drive the radios audio wise from the microphone. The dynamics processor is otherwise configured to be mostly flat in terms of other "processing" or compression. I have a LED bar graph VU meter in line that monitors the audio level out of the dynamics process and monitor it to keep it close to "0" as I'm talking. The VU meter also verifies that the peak limiter is doing what it needs to when (not if) I yell into the microphone like can happen in contesting or chasing DX.

From the dynamics processor I feed the microphone audio into a Rane SM 26B that I have set up to function as a line level distribution amp. Then all of the balanced line level outputs of the SM 26B feed the individual radios through W2IHY iBoxes at each radio to make sure that they are properly (RF) isolated. The iBox outputs are then set up for microphone or line level (and/or balanced) depending on the radio they feed.  So the microphone audio goes to all of the radios all of the time, including the 2M/70cm FM rig. The only thing that determines which radio is put into TX is which footswitch I step on, each radio has its own footswitch. Obviously that arrangement precludes VOX operation, but VOX operation wasn't important for me.

All of the iBoxes might not have been necessary, but I wanted to be sure that it was going to work out of the gate and not have to worry about chasing mic audio / RFI problems later. My underlying strategy was to start with a balanced microphone, get the level to line level quickly, and then keep it at line level and balanced as long as possible before feeding it into the radios. It was a fair amount of work and expense, but adding any new radios going forward is just a matter of making an interface cable for it.

Taking this approach was not about wanting to do any fancy audio processing, but was instead more about getting the same microphone to feed all of my radios, and to do so while avoiding ground loop and RFI issues. It all has been working flawlessly, and I frequently get unsolicited audio compliments.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »

one quad op-amp and four 1-meg resistors, and you have 4 clean feeds.  or you could use a 4016 or 4066 cmos quad switch to toggle one output to 4 rigs.  or you can buy an MFJ director box.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »

It has a PAN control on each channel. Should be able to swing mic 1 to the Left PAN, and mic 2 to the Right PAN, feed two radios with the Left channel, and the others with the Right channel with no discernable crosstalk.  BUT......

The mixer does not appear to have MIC level outputs, so how are you going to feed the radio MIC inputs? Pad the outputs? Waaay down? Do your radios have line level audio inputs?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: