The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging and an Overall Software Strategy  (Read 11866 times)
W1XWX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »

I don't follow the usual automatic logging-- instead:

I have QRZ and Eqsl open on the computer (I do not do contesting but I do WORK the contesters.)

I Log on QRZ -- then either immediately or later I log on Eqsl. Later I download the Eqsl log to my computer and upload to LOTW, Club Log, and HRDlog. Currently working on my DXCC with 81 countries on LOTW, and 75 on Eqsl. Already have WAS on LOTW 3 different ways. Yes it's not quite as fast but I can easily do this between contacts; and I always end up with a current ADIF log file on my computer.
W1XWX

Life's too short for QRP
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »

I'm not really into awards, I assume that a few will be picked up just as time passes. But a lot of the people I talk to want confirmation for awards. So that's really why I'm logging to multiple places.

Yep, that is a good point that you and K7EXJ make.

I'm not too interested in awards but it is probably good to remember that people on the other end might be - so probably good to make it easier to confirm QSOs.  Thanks again for the info/insight.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »

I'm not too interested in awards....

Just wait until you get 46 states confirmed and I'll bet you change your mind!
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:02 PM »

LOL Smiley

Ok, you are probably right, I see it coming....

Back on logging details - I saw where the MacLogger program enables the user to open a record and the software seems to automatically start the QSO with a time stamp and then when the record is closed out it adds a QSO completed time stamp.  I realize it's just two fields but that sounds like a good automated data entry feature.  Anyone happen to know if HRD's logger might do the same automated time stamp entries?  (I don't carry about contest awards but in case I did it might be good to be super efficient Smiley ).
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »

LOL Smiley

Ok, you are probably right, I see it coming....

Back on logging details - I saw where the MacLogger program enables the user to open a record and the software seems to automatically start the QSO with a time stamp and then when the record is closed out it adds a QSO completed time stamp.  I realize it's just two fields but that sounds like a good automated data entry feature.  Anyone happen to know if HRD's logger might do the same automated time stamp entries?  (I don't carry about contest awards but in case I did it might be good to be super efficient Smiley ).

Yup- HRD does it in the "add window".

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »

Thanks for the "add window" info.

Now another feature being sought ....  clustering.

In the MacLogger program they have some beautiful cluster monitoring graphics - seems to make finding potential contacts pretty fun and easy.  Is there something comparable in HDR or that integrates with HDR?  btw, while I kind of get the concept of clusters are there any recommended articles or youtubes that provide a good overview of clusters/clustering?  Thx

Update:  might have found it -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FALY_yxn6_M
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:01:54 PM by HAMSTUDY » Logged
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »

Man, this hobby and the potential tools and techniques just keep getting better and better.....

Sort of figured out the HRD DX Cluster feature - really nice (not as beautiful as the MacLogger clustering graphics, but still good).  Definitely lots of clusters to choose from and the field chooser (like in other parts of HRD) is very flexible and handy.

So, just a very small feature request.... any way to get the frequency scale on the right hand sign that shows the selected band and lists the spotted stations to change the display so that the highest frequencies are at the top and the lowest frequencies are at the bottom?  (Just seems more intuitive to sort high to low.)  Thx
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »

kind of running commentary on how to learn HRD ...... Smiley

Any way to make the Greyline map or some other map show the location of a station when you click on the station in the DX Cluster feature?
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »

Just discovered AC Log.  Anyone have any comments on AC Log vs HRD?  Thx
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »

Just discovered AC Log.  Anyone have any comments on AC Log vs HRD?  Thx

Here are 186 people who have heard of it.... giving it an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5!

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1565

Of course the main difference is that it is not a "station management" program like HRD so you can't really make an "apples to apples" comparison.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:41:53 AM by N0IU » Logged
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »

Here are 186 people who have heard of it.... giving it an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5!

Of course the main difference is that it is not a "station management" program like HRD so you can't really make an "apples to apples" comparison.

Ok, fair enough.  Let me rephrase the question.  For people who have used both, how does AC Log compare to the logging function in HRD?  How viable is it to use AC Log in place of HRD's logger and still use the rest of HRD's functions, or are there other surrounding apps that AC Log users prefer vs HRD?  Sort of leads to whether people prefer integrating diverse best of category apps or go with good enough, maybe not the best in various categories, but benefit from tighter integration.  Just looking for recommendations, especially from users who have tried various products and combinations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:06:36 PM by HAMSTUDY » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 06:11:36 AM »

How viable is it to use AC Log in place of HRD's logger and still use the rest of HRD's functions, or are there other surrounding apps that AC Log users prefer vs HRD?

I am thinking this is probably not possible. At the core of both of these programs is the ability to communicate with your radio and as far as I know (and I could be wrong - it has happened before!) you can't have one device talk to two different programs since the first program will want to take exclusive control of that device.

The point I will try to make is that by all indications, all of this is just theoretical for you. Given the fact that your screen name is not an amateur radio callsign, we can make two assumptions:
1) You are not (yet) a licensed amateur radio operator
2) You are a licensed amateur radio operator but for some reason, you have chosen not to share that with us.

Which is it?

Until we know more about you, all of this is theoretical. Is your list of "requirements" a true list of requirements based on years of experience or is it merely a "wish list" of things you would like to have?

And the other thing to realize is that no matter what someone tells you about a specific piece of software, it will be subjective from their point of view. As was suggested in an earlier post, try the various programs and see which one(s) work for YOU! My reason for preferring one piece of software over another is because it suits my operating style.

For me, except for:
1) Contesting logging (in which case I use N1MM+)
2) FSK RTTY (in which case I use MMTTY)
3) The "JT" modes (which I do not use)
HRD works fine... for me. I have been licensed for 23½ years. I have my share of DXCC and WAS certificates. I also have my share of fairly decent contest finishes. The bottom line is that my choice of programs is indeed based on decades of experience.

With all due respect and because we know virtually nothing about you or your operating style, you are making it nearly impossible to help  you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:23:26 AM by N0IU » Logged
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:17 AM »

Ok, fair enough.  Let me rephrase the question.  For people who have used both, how does AC Log compare to the logging function in HRD?  How viable is it to use AC Log in place of HRD's logger and still use the rest of HRD's functions, or are there other surrounding apps that AC Log users prefer vs HRD?  Sort of leads to whether people prefer integrating diverse best of category apps or go with good enough, maybe not the best in various categories, but benefit from tighter integration.  Just looking for recommendations, especially from users who have tried various products and combinations.

I tried ACLog for a few months.  I went back to HRD. Both met my needs for basic logging but HRD allows more customization of the screen layout.  It was just a matter of preference not capabilities. Try them both. ACLog and HRD both have a free trial. 

Having more than one program performing rig control is possible.  You have to share a COM port (only one cable is connected to your radio).  Software is available to create "Virtual Serial Ports". Take a look at Com0Com and Eterlogic's Virtual Serial Port Emulator (ie. VSPE).  I use several virtual serial ports in my setup.

Do you have a radio?

Dave
NB3R
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »

At this point, this is all theoretical for HAMSTUDY. I can appreciate the fact that he wants a "one and done" solution, but as of April 25, he did not even have the rig in place that he plans to use.

...my plan is to use a Kenwood 590SG.

Now he certainly could have acquired a rig in the past couple of weeks, but he makes no mention of it (unless I missed it somewhere - which is entirely possible!).

At the end of the day, there just aren't that many programs that meet his requirements, er wish list. The most popular ones have already been suggested and he claims to have downloaded them (which I am sure he has done - and besides, why would he lie to us?), but to my way of thinking (to which my wife reminds me from time to time has some serious flaws), how can you possibly "kick the tires" until you actually have a car?

So we can keep on making suggestions, but until he gets on the air, makes contacts and logs them, it is all academic.

[/soapbox]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:42:10 PM by N0IU » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »

Having more than one program performing rig control is possible.  You have to share a COM port (only one cable is connected to your radio).  Software is available to create "Virtual Serial Ports". Take a look at Com0Com and Eterlogic's Virtual Serial Port Emulator (ie. VSPE).  I use several virtual serial ports in my setup.

Unless the transceiver control applications you're using explicitly support this configuration, having two transceiver control applications simultaneously sending CAT commands to the same transceiver via a dumb port splitter can be dangerous.

Most transceiver control applications assume that they alone send CAT commands to the transceiver. If Application A sends command A to the transceiver, and Application B then sends command B to the same transceiver, application B will see the transceiver's response to command A, which it does not expect. Application A will see an unexpected response to Command B. Furthermore, some transceivers are limited in the number of commands they can accept "back-to-back" without pacing. Two transceiver control applications that individually comply with such constraints might violate those constraints when both are issuing commands to the same transceiver through a dumb port splitter. Commands could be dropped or improperly executed by the transceiver's embedded microprocessor.

Ops often respond to this point with "but mine is working fine". Depending upon the rate at which the transceiver applications are issuing CAT commands and the specifics of the code running on the transceiver's embedded microprocessor, the rate at which bad things happen may be quite low, to the point of being unnoticeable. But all it takes is one bad sequence of events to let the smoke out - like dropping a QSY command before switching from RX to TX; are you feeling lucky?

In contrast to a dumb port splitter, a port splitter that understands the transceiver's CAT protocol and routes transceiver responses to the appropriate CAT application while enforcing pacing constraints would be reliable. K9JM's CI-V router uses this technique to prevent a latent defect in Icom PW1 amplifiers from causing serious damage.

An application that passively monitors CAT commands and responses to enable a device (amplifier, antenna, switch, tuner, etc.) to track the transceiver's frequency is also no threat to reliability.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:56:42 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: