The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 16789 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »

Hi guys

What do you guy though of from 7 and 8 with automatic upgrade to Windows 10

I heard some where June or July will automatically upgrade to 10

Do you like Windows 10 or hate it ?

Jackie
N4MJG
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »

Well, I have upgraded two systems (HP laptop and HP desktop) from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and didn't have any big issues. I also have another system (HP laptop) that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. Again, no big issues. All of my applications still work fine and no hardware issues.

Things like the big start menu may surprise Windows 7 users, but I don't thing Windows 8 users will be surprised. But the start menu is manageable. Once you get use to is, it isn't that bad. Except for a few small cosmetic issues, my Windows 10 systems look just like my Windows 7 systems did.

I haven't heard anything, other than wild rumors, about a forced upgrade. IMHO, I think eventually MS is just going to end the free upgrade. But that is a good a guess as any other guess.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »

July 29 is when MS will stop offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade, will stop prompting W7 and W8 users to upgrade, and will stop making W10 a "recommended upgrade".  After that date, users who have not voluntarily upgraded will have to pay for W10.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:07:38 PM »

MS says they will continue to offer W10 to people free with disabilities through that service website. (insert "automated spying so you don't have to enable it" joke here.)
VE3HIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »

Any problems that you may encounter are well known by now, but you might not want to make your only computer a Windows 10 machine. You need a backup computer with web access to find some solutions. Follow the instructions on the web to avoid a possible browlock loop problem with Edge (the replacement for Windows Explorer) and don't expect Edge to send everything it sees to a printer. Other possible problems include dropping your local IPV4 protocol, but you can easily install it again using the high level command prompt (Admin).

IMHO if it wasn't a work in progress, it wouldn't be free Wink You are the final tester.

Cheers and good luck,
Bob
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »

I had Windows Vista (32-bit) that came with this Dell laptop, and I dual-booted Linux Mint for the past 3 years. Update support ended for Vista in April, so I decided it was time for a change. After a lot of research, and testing with Microsoft's tool for determining capability for Window 7 64-bit, I bought Windows 7 Pro SP-1, a genuine Microsoft product.

I used Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe a 320 GB hard drive that was in a twin of this laptop. Windows 7 installed, but then the problems appeared. The machine would not receive updates. I decided to try an update to Windows 10, but again, no luck with the download/installation. 2 days later, after a re-install of Windows 7, and activation of it, I finally saw it download 219 updates, but again, they would not install after an overnight process. The machine was in a "cleaning up, do not shut down" state when I killed it.

After more research, I downloaded Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool option. This allows for creation and download of the Windows 10 operating system ISO file, which I burned to a DVD from Windows 7. Use of a Microsoft ISO file was the way I upgraded my wife's main business PC from 7 to 10 last November. I ran setup.exe from the DVD from Windows 7, and I made sure to check "NO" to the "Install Updates" option. The Windows 10 Professional OS installed fine, and it automatically activated the installation with the Digital Entitlement, which means that I can roll back the installation to Windows 7 and still be entitled to upgrade beyond July 29 of this year at any time in the future.

My original intent was to run Windows 7 64-bit on this machine, along with an installation of Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit. I installed Linux, and it dual-booted with no problems. When I installed Windows 10, the bootloader still booted into windows 10, although it recognized Windows 7. I then ran a nifty bootable CD containing Rescuatux and rewrote the grub bootloader so it "sees" Windows 10 now.

Now for the rest of the story...

I like to keep things simple, and free. I configured Windows 10 to be as clean as possible. I disabled one by one those "Metro" tiles, and shrunk the menu to Windows 7 size in the process. I disabled virtually every optional Microsoft component, and then some. Using the Group Policy Editor, I changed the Update from Automatic to Download and Choose what to Install by (my) administrative staff (paraphrasing). With no Windows Store, no MS Office or other interfaces, no camera, no microphone, no OneDrive, no linking or sharing with other devices, wireless or otherwise and Cortana set to Off (more on this later.) Windows 10 downloaded several cumulative and security updates overnight, and I installed them this morning. No problems at all.

With Chrome browser, Dropbox, LibreOffice 5.1, my password manager program, Avast antivirus, MalwareBytes, Macrium Reflect, Paint.Net, and Photoshop CS2, with EditPad Lite, VLC media player and IrfanView replacing their MS counterparts, I'm set for what I need to do in Windows. I'll create a Virtualbox VM for Windows XP for older programs to run in Linux as I had it before the massive change. I'll add back other ham programs to run under Wine, and install Eagle CAD 7.5 and fldigi directly in Linux. The only money I spent for this renovation was for the Windows 7 OS, and a $10 donation to dotPDN, LLC (Rick Brewster) for paint.net and $5 for The Document Foundation for LibreOffice. I've used those products for many years, and those people deserve it.

The Windows 10 environment is running at 2 to 10% CPU utilization, with about 2GB out of 4GB memory usage, with 5 tabs open in Chrome. That is far less than Vista or Win7 (for the very brief time I used it on this machine.) One other thing I found was that Cortana still uses over 40 MB of memory, and after ending the process in Task Manager, it respawns within a couple of seconds. Apparently, it is then available for secret messages via Bing, according to an Ars Technica article awhile ago. The way to really stop it is to rename Cortana's directory from to Cortanaxxxxxxx to Cortanaxxxxxx.bak or whatever; .old is another often-used suffix. Windows will not allow the rename, since Cortana is running as a process. So, with the file explorer open, the rename rejected with the "Try Again" popup still on the screen, quickly end the Cortana process in Task Manager and immediately "Retry" in the file rename popup. A 2-finger solution.

From my 2 days worth of experience with Windows 10, this is the cleanest and best-running Windows OS I've used. The interfaces with system components is improved over Vista and 7, with much more detail provided. I more than likely will not be using this machine for computer-to-ham radio activities (all boatanchors and homebrew, here), but I will be keeping Windows 10 to run my Windows-only programs for sure. Now, to boot back into Linux...

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:36:04 PM by KX4OM » Logged
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »

I have been running Win 10 fir the past 3-4 months, on Sunday I had the computer on, talking to my YL and both display went blank.
after a few min win 10 came back up, only 1 monitor worked reset to low res, with a error message low memory.
I tried reboot, still only 1 monitor, and Win 10 reset the display to min res
shut down the computer, swapped the cable from the win 10 drive to the win 7 drive, rebooted
no issue, sure glad I keep backups

Lew
N4HRA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »

I have been running Win 10 fir the past 3-4 months, on Sunday I had the computer on, talking to my YL and both display went blank.
after a few min win 10 came back up, only 1 monitor worked reset to low res, with a error message low memory.
shut down the computer, swapped the cable from the win 10 drive to the win 7 drive, rebooted

Lew
N4HRA

I suspect this was very old hardware with limited RAM. A new OS does not make a old dated computer new.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »

Lew
N4HRA

I've updated 2 desktops and a laptop with Win10 when it was first released and I've not had any issues with any of them. I had previously maxed out the RAM in all of them.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »

I've seen a number of these "auto upgrades",
-  some of them 'didn't know how it got upgraded'
ie: they never clicked on anything - inc the EULA
- - dunno how they managed to that .. ..

- some of them had issues  -- usually minor & were fixable.

- some of them didn't like it, at all -- or hated it, outright
a few of them still could 'downgrade' & did so.

almost all of them -- upgraded from win-7,
& only a few of them were using win-8x.

-  technically - an upgrade from Vista is also possible,
but since that is unsupported,  anyone doing that, would have to pay for a licence key.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:09:04 AM by VK6IS » Logged
W1XWX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »

I was a "tester" before it was released using one of my spare computers. So I played with Windows 10 for almost 1 year before it was actually released. A lot of the issues you hear were from this "test" period and during the first few months of the actual release last year.

Anyway, I have 4 different computers running Windows 10, all were upgraded from Windows 7. Two of the machines were heavily loaded with amateur radio software including PowerSDR for my Flex radio. Everything migrated over to Windows 10 including the old "Ham Clock" software from Windows xp.

Currently running, WSJT-X, JT65HF, WSPR, PowerSDR, Fldigi, CHIRP, RT Systems software for Icom 880-h, Kenwood software for 281A, Netlogger, Log40M, Nistime, etc etc.

It seems to run just about anything including some old Windows 98 software.

Life's too short for QRP
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »

Its a Intel I7 with 8G of rams

Lew
N4HRA
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »

There's a long thread at qrz under the general forum with a lot of whining about W10. I'm reticent about it, mainly because of a lot of auto stuff that may or may not be able to turn off. I especially don't like the fact they use your computer as a sub-server. That may be a good idea for those of you with unlimited data plans, but I have satellite and have a 10GB/mo limit. If W10 starts downloading on my computer, it can use up nearly half my monthly data, unannounced updates are a poor idea for me. I've uninstalled KB3035583 which anyone can do to stop the W10 update. I did however download the iso file to a dvd so if I decide to update I can. But I'm also going to make an image of my computer and probably get W10 registered and then go back to w7. I just don't like all the spy stuff that's in it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »

But I'm also going to make an image of my computer and probably get W10 registered and then go back to w7. I just don't like all the spy stuff that's in it.

If you are worried about spy stuff you better get of web completely. You ISP knows more about what you do on web than MS does. And Facebooks model is built around snooping what you like and do and sell it for profit. (Facebook is being sued over a new digital picture decoding your pictures you post to learn more about you they are developing and their defense is you do not own those rights to your pictures)  And you are worried about MS?? Bizzare.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »

I especially don't like the fact they use your computer as a sub-server. That may be a good idea for those of you with unlimited data plans, but I have satellite and have a 10GB/mo limit. If W10 starts downloading on my computer, it can use up nearly half my monthly data, unannounced updates are a poor idea for me.

Good point, they don't seem to understand (or care) that not everyone has unlimited bandwidth anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: