The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 16805 times)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »

Your source for that information is wrong.  Win 7 will not automatically be updated at any point in time.   

Seriously?

Do a Google search for "Windows 10 automatic upgrade" and you'll see that legions of users have had their computers upgrade with no interaction from them. In fact it's become a major issue with developers producing upgrade blockers.

Here is one: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3000299/microsoft-windows/a-better-blocker-is-available-to-shield-you-from-coerced-get-windows-10-updates.html

I think Infoworld is a pretty good source.

If you have evidence - other than your opinion - that this is not happening post it.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 04:47:02 AM »

Careful now folks, Microsoft is getting mighty touchy about how you spurn their advances: https://www.grahamcluley.com/2016/05/microsoft-dirty-little-windows-10-upgrade-trick-sleeve/

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 06:19:59 AM »

I'm running Windows 10 on 3 laptops.  One came with it, two came with 8.1 and were upgraded.  The upgrades went fine.  I have all of the phone home and 'sharing' functionality disabled.  The operating system has been great with one exception.  I got all of my ham software running including wacky stuff like virtual null modem drivers. 

My only complaint is not being able to choose when to do updates.  I fired up my laptop and was just starting to participate in a NAQCC sprint.  My logging software was running and I was about to log my first contact and the laptop rebooted for updates.

I really want it to just download them and let me apply them when I choose.  But, Microsoft has killed that option for everyone except Enterprise users.  The good side of this is that there aren't 200 million unpatched Windows 10 PCs on the internet serving in Bot nets.  But, it still seems heavy handed to me.  I have always regularly patched my PCs.  I just always did it when it was convenient for me.

This is the only issue I have with the operating system.  Other than that, it has been fine.  It boots crazy fast.  It runs well.

Regarding a comment I saw back in this thread.

Just because Windows 10 will run old software does not it mean it is just as vulnerable to old exploits.  Users run with many fewer privileges in this OS than they did in older OSs (especially XP).  So, older code may run, but the session doesn't have the rights to do what it used to be able to do.  I would never go back to XP. 

73, Richard
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »

Your source for that information is wrong.  Win 7 will not automatically be updated at any point in time.
So I was just having a hallucination when my own computer--without any interaction from me--updated itself automatically? Gee, thanks for letting me know.  Roll Eyes

Wait. Let me guess. You read somewhere on the internet that "Win 7 will not automatically be updated at any point in time," and since it was on the internet, of course it just HAS to be true! Right?

You know what? If it doesn't disrupt your world too much, I think I will believe my own eyes, and my own experience, before I will believe something that you read on the internet.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »

KRW: Check your settings. My Win10 downloads the updates and posts a notification that I need to reboot to complete the update. It never reboots on its own.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »

---------------
My only complaint is not being able to choose when to do updates.  I fired up my laptop and was just starting to participate in a NAQCC sprint.  My logging software was running and I was about to log my first contact and the laptop rebooted for updates.

I really want it to just download them and let me apply them when I choose.  But, Microsoft has killed that option for everyone except Enterprise users.  The good side of this is that there aren't 200 million unpatched Windows 10 PCs on the internet serving in Bot nets.  But, it still seems heavy handed to me.  I have always regularly patched my PCs.  I just always did it when it was convenient for me.

In Windows 10 Professional, you can change the update via group policy editor to let you choose the update scenario. I did that when I upgraded from Windows 7 two weeks ago. I actually bought Windows 7, but I had the typical problem with getting  Win7 to install the 200+ updates needed, so I upgraded to 10 after a couple of wasted days.

Ted, KX4OM
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »

One of the latest time-wasters is Windows Update for Windows 7. It takes longer every month. It now takes HOURS, during which the CPU is at 100%.

I really like Windows 7 (except for the GWX fiasco), but I think it's inevitable that this Win7 laptop needs to switch to Linux, too.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »

well, it happened to my wife.  refused to accept the legal crap after the hijacking, and the machine rolled back to Win7. there are lots of examples, including corporations doing their own enterprise maintenance that are not supposed to be infected with the GWX virus.  those guys are hot.

I am not accepting automatic updates until the GWX virus has run its course.  I research every important one.
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »

Well, today my wife's old PC did an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 so it is not just a rumor.   It was not just an offer like I have seen and ignored for so long.   It is now running OK but was worth it to hear her say a very naughty word!  HI HI.
I did an upgrade to my very old laptop and while it took 2 1/2 hours, it did go well with no problems. Took a bit to get used to Edge, I'll admit.          I wonder how it will work with Smart SDR for my Flex 6500. I have heard from the Flex community that it does not go well. I suppose worst case I will need to reload SSDR.    Any thoughts on this?      73, Jim
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »

SmartSDR works okay on my Win10 computer.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »

For the People who have had an auto update happen to Win10.
I would ask you did you have auto updates turned on in Win7 ? That is the default setting in Win7 and unless you turned it off you have already given MS permission to update your machine.

We have dozens of Win7 machines and all of them have auto download and auto update turned turned OFF.  Not one of them has updated on its own. 

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 07:48:45 PM »

it does seem to happen to those PCs that have auto updates turned on in Win7,
and, presumably also with win-8x PCs as well.

there is a few PCs that I'm currently watching, in a local library,
to see if they do indeed autoupdate, from win-7 ..
- the upgrade icon is in the PCs taskbar.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »

I would ask you did you have auto updates turned on in Win7 ? That is the default setting in Win7 and unless you turned it off you have already given MS permission to update your machine.

We have dozens of Win7 machines and all of them have auto download and auto update turned turned OFF.  Not one of them has updated on its own. 

73s
Rob

It happens when Windows 7/8/8.1 users enable automatic updates and also check the option to deliver recommended updates along with required updates. 

Many of the stories were generated around February 1, 2016 when MS decided to make Windows 10 a recommended update without first notifying the user community.  The solution is to disable the option entitled, 'Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates' and check for them manually instead. 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 01:49:30 AM »

We have dozens of Win7 machines and all of them have auto download and auto update turned turned OFF.  Not one of them has updated on its own.  

73s
Rob

It happens when Windows 7/8/8.1 users enable automatic updates and also check the option to deliver recommended updates along with required updates.  

Many of the stories were generated around February 1, 2016 when MS decided to make Windows 10 a recommended update without first notifying the user community.  The solution is to disable the option entitled, 'Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates' and check for them manually instead.  

Exactly!
I wish people had understood what was happening before they bashed me over the head.
If you turn off auto updates on Win 7 they cannot just update your computer to Win10.  

People in the IT world have tons of custom written software that would go down, they would have MS for lunch in thousands of court cases if they ever decided to do that.

73s
Rob

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:52:16 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 07:29:31 AM »

I'm running Windows 10 on 3 laptops.  One came with it, two came with 8.1 and were upgraded.  The upgrades went fine.  I have all of the phone home and 'sharing' functionality disabled.  The operating system has been great with one exception.  I got all of my ham software running including wacky stuff like virtual null modem drivers. 

I am in a similar position, with three systems running Windows 10. Two are HP laptops and one is a HP desktop. One laptop and the desktop were upgrades from Windows 7 and the other laptop came with Windows 10 pre installed. While I made a backup of the systems before the upgrade, I never needed to use them. None of my data was missing and all of my applications worked fine.

What I did notice is that with the W7 --> W10 upgrades, the computers were ready to use when the update was completed. There were a couple of updates available, but they were quick to install. However, with the laptop that came with Windows 10, the updates took a long time. Any PC that you buy off the shelf, will probably have a pretty old version of Windows 10, so the list of updates could be quite long. For me, it took approximately 12 hours for the new laptop to complete updates. That It wasn't a problem for me. I just put it on the side and let it work.

Yes, this often happens to users. They usually blame MS for hijacking their computer. Usually what happened is, some where along the line you were notified that a upgrade was scheduled. Most people just throw away the notice, thinking that it will stop the upgrade. But that doesn't stop the scheduled event. To stop it, you need to change the upgrade schedule, or cancel it completely. Possibly, turning off all updated would have solved it, but I don't know that that works.

Automatic updates are OK for two of my systems, but for the one I use the most, I don't want the system to update  and reboot without notice. The way I manage it is with the "hibernate" capability. I have the scheduler set to update some time after midnight. But I am never using my PC at that time. Prior to going to bed, I put the PC in "hibernate" and close the lid. This puts it completely to sleep, so it never sees the update time. When I press the power button in the morning, I am right where I left off the day before. Then, when I am in a position to allow a reboot, I pull up the Update & Security window and let it work.

This is the only issue I have with the operating system.  Other than that, it has been fine.  It boots crazy fast.  It runs well.

Regarding a comment I saw back in this thread.

Just because Windows 10 will run old software does not it mean it is just as vulnerable to old exploits.  Users run with many fewer privileges in this OS than they did in older OSs (especially XP).  So, older code may run, but the session doesn't have the rights to do what it used to be able to do.  I would never go back to XP. 

Like everyone else, I was not thrilled about upgrading to Windows 10. I liked the Windows 7 desktop and the way things were operating. I bought into the hype about spying, data loss, applications being deleted, etc.. But I found out very quickly, most of the hype is total BS. While there are certainly issues with Windows 10, like the big clunky Windows Menu, but most of the issues are blown out of proportion.

I found that the big clunky Windows Menu is manageable and the desktop can be modified to look just like Windows 7, with only small cosmetic differences. In fact, I find the Windows Menu quite useful, once I threw away all the junk and added what I wanted.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: