The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 16774 times)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »

I like how you nicely take things out of context. Sorry, those statements do not contradict each other.

It's not "out of context"; it's just a reply to specific statements made by you and the entire contents of your posts are easily read by anyone right in this same thread. Practically everything you post is mutually contradictory.

If you had a job that required you to be in a room disconnected from the Internet then the only possible reason for that is the recognition that they are after your data and after your devices for membership in some botnet or another.

I had to work inside a vault with a door similar to one you'd find in a bank, and then another door controlled by a cipherlock and then a screen room set on shock absorbers and fed by optical isolators and isolation transformers.

Because we knew for an absolute certainty that they were after our data.

Why else?

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »

Now for the rest of the story...

I like to keep things simple, and free. I configured Windows 10 to be as clean as possible. I disabled one by one those "Metro" tiles, and shrunk the menu to Windows 7 size in the process. I disabled virtually every optional Microsoft component, and then some. Using the Group Policy Editor, I changed the Update from Automatic to Download and Choose what to Install by (my) administrative staff (paraphrasing). With no Windows Store, no MS Office or other interfaces, no camera, no microphone, no OneDrive, no linking or sharing with other devices, wireless or otherwise and Cortana set to Off (more on this later.) Windows 10 downloaded several cumulative and security updates overnight, and I installed them this morning. No problems at all.

Ted, KX4OM

Ted,

Thanks for the very informative post on going to W10.
I am upgrading to W10 from 7 and I like what you did to simplify and streamline W10. 
Particularly the removal of the Metro Tiles.  I want it to be as much like windows 7
as possible.  I have been on the edge of the fence on whether to upgrade, but think I will
now while it is still free.  I may have a question or two when I get going..........

Bob
K6UJ

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »

Now for the rest of the story...

I like to keep things simple, and free. I configured Windows 10 to be as clean as possible. I disabled one by one those "Metro" tiles, and shrunk the menu to Windows 7 size in the process. I disabled virtually every optional Microsoft component, and then some. Using the Group Policy Editor, I changed the Update from Automatic to Download and Choose what to Install by (my) administrative staff (paraphrasing). With no Windows Store, no MS Office or other interfaces, no camera, no microphone, no OneDrive, no linking or sharing with other devices, wireless or otherwise and Cortana set to Off (more on this later.) Windows 10 downloaded several cumulative and security updates overnight, and I installed them this morning. No problems at all.

Ted, KX4OM

Ted,

Thanks for the very informative post on going to W10.
I am upgrading to W10 from 7 and I like what you did to simplify and streamline W10. 
Particularly the removal of the Metro Tiles.  I want it to be as much like windows 7
as possible.  I have been on the edge of the fence on whether to upgrade, but think I will
now while it is still free.  I may have a question or two when I get going..........

Bob
K6UJ

Metro is a shell and NOT a OS and you do not have to use it is so it is a bit anal to bother to remove tiles one at a time when you can just not use them. To me the LESS like 7 the better. I actually prefer 8x or 10 but 10 over 7. I am glad to see a GUI design dating back to 90's being laid to rest with 8x.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »

Started the upgrade to win 10 from 7 an hour ago and it is finally just about finished.
I was getting worried, I am 70 now, don't have much time left. Grin Grin Grin

Bob
K6UJ
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »

I have upgraded from win 7 to win 10, but before I did I clone my win 7 drive to a new drive, this way anything goes bad
with Win 10 I have a Win 7 back-up

Lew
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »

Lew,

Good point.  That's what I should have done.  But so far so good, I still have all my programs
from before on W7.  W10 is not as intimidating as I thought it would be, so far so good.
I realize what I really was worried about was not having a start menu. I was afraid it would be like win 8 but the start menu is there.  I didn't think I would ever say this after using win 8 but the tiles aren't that bad  Cheesy  I think I will leave them alone for awhile until I learn more.

Bob
K6UJ
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »

I waited for initial bugs to get worked out but installed Win10 from Win7 a week ago. Nothing bad at all happened, it's transparent except for the initial splash screen.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »

I have upgraded from win 7 to win 10, but before I did I clone my win 7 drive to a new drive, this way anything goes bad
with Win 10 I have a Win 7 back-up

Lew

Honestly it is a good idea to replace drive with a upgrade of OS not just for "backup" but more so because drive itself is likely getting long in tooth. Some seem to think than a HD will last for ever but it is a mechanical device and it does wear out and is more prone to fail as it gets older and in systems with limited RAM the HD is "pounded" constantly with swap file activity so a upgrade is a very smart move before installing a new OS that is even more HD intensive by design.

K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »

Systems with Windows the HD is pounded constantly. Fixed that for you.  Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »

Systems with Windows the HD is pounded constantly. Fixed that for you.  Grin

Only if you have limited ram and let windows manage swap file size automatically.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: