Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX CWstation says UP5, what does that mean to you?  (Read 4075 times)
AA4NN

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »

If only the pileup would spread out!  I have sent "up 2 to 5" and the pileup doesn't move.  I have spelled out "pse spread out" to no avail.  Maybe those guys are not really listening after all?

What does it mean to you when you hear UP5?  Is the DX station listening up 5 or is he going to be listening from 1 to 5 up?  

What does "UP" mean to you?  How far "UP" would you go?  Do you transmit just above the top of the pileup or 1kc above the DX signal or smack in the middle of the pile?

What would you do if you heard the DX say "UP UP"?  Is he admonishing you to transmit UP, like "get off my xmit frequency?"  Would "UP UP" to you mean spread out?  If the DX says "UP2 UP5" would you even be able to hear it and if you heard it where would you think the DX was listening?

Isn't it always best to just spread out and try to catch the rythym of the DX.  de Joe, aa4nn
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »

When he says up5, that means the guy running the pile up is listening up 5 from his transmitting freq.
AA4NN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »

Then the entire pileup is calling him on the 5 up freq.  What's the good in that?  How does that spread out the pile?  de Joe, aa4nn
W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »

Up 5 doesn't spread out the pile but allows us (the non dx) to hear when the dx station comes back to us since some guys never stop calling to listen.

Pete W6OP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »

UP 5 to me means "up 5."

DX operators should learn some pileup management.  Some do it right, many do it wrong.  The only way to manage a pileup is to do what you say you're going to do, which means never answering anyone who calls you on your own frequency, and if you say UP 5, only listen UP 5.  Not up 1 or 2 or 3, or 7 or 8 or 9.

The pileup will figure out what you're actually doing and go there.  But if the DX keeps answering stations who don't listen to instructions, the pileup won't ever behave.

WB2WIK/6

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:04 AM »

When a CW DX station sends "up N", it means the minimum split is N khz. Unlike a phone DX station that might say "up 5 to 10", in CW you must track the DX station's QSOs to determine how far up the band he or she is listening, and with what pattern. Most CW ops limit their pilup to a width of 5 khz or less.

I hope you didn't mean that you were sending "spread out" on the DX station's frequency. One should never transmit on the DX station's frequency in a split pileup -- no matter what the provocation.

Dave, AA6YQ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »

" I have spelled out "pse spread out" to no avail. Maybe those guys are not really listening after all? "

The instruction to "spread out" means nothing.  What you need to do is to reward those at the edges of your pileup with QSO's.  The rest of gang (well, at least most of them) will figure it out.  

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »

Ususally when a rare or semi-rare DX station says "UP 5," they usually mean up at least five.  It would be impractical, in most cases, to expect them to listen exactly up 5. They're going to tune around and find someone on a clear frequency who's calling at the right time.

AA4NN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »

"I hope you didn't mean that you were sending "spread out" on the DX station's frequency. One should never transmit on the DX station's frequency in a split pileup -- no matter what the provocation. 73,Dave,AA6YQ"

Yes I was sending "spread out" on the DX stations's frequency because I was the DX station, the DX at VU7RG, trying to get everyone to spread out north and south of the UP 5 frequency.  Those who listened are most likely in the log. de Joe, aa4nn.  
AA4NN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 12:31:09 PM »

"....and if you say UP 5, only listen UP 5. Not up 1 or 2 or 3, or 7 or 8 or 9....WB2WIK/6"

Bad advice, Steven, you need to have spent some time on the "other end" to understand how that logic will never work. de Joe, aa4nn

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »

>RE: DX CWstation says UP5, what does that mean to       Reply
by AA4NN on February 12, 2007    Mail this to a friend!
"....and if you say UP 5, only listen UP 5. Not up 1 or 2 or 3, or 7 or 8 or 9....WB2WIK/6"

Bad advice, Steven, you need to have spent some time on the "other end" to understand how that logic will never work. de Joe, aa4nn<

::I've been the "DX" in pileups several times, Joe.  If I said, UP 5, I'd listen UP 5.  On CW with a 200 Hz filter, I can hear probably 100 stations within +/- 1 kHz of UP 5.  That will keep me very, very busy without turning the knob very far.  In fact, the highest Q rates ever (280/hour or so) were usually achieved without ever turning the dial at all, just adjusting the center frequency of an 80 Hz wide audio filter on the headphones (CW of course).  And at 280/hour, I would ID our callsign with every single QSO: In lieu of "TU" on CW or "QRZ" on phone, just send the call very fast instead.  Doesn't take more time, and makes every single Q legitimate.

WB2WIK/6
AA4NN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »

To WB2WIK/6 I say "Incredible QSO rates."  Thanks for your comments.  de Joe, aa4nn
AB5GU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 05:32:02 AM »

If you said up 5, we were calling up 5. It was your instructions. The problem with working you from stateside was that your signal was really weak over here. The bigger problem was that the propagation sucked, and I couldn't hear the European and Asian stations that you were actually working. I was even swinging one beam toward the area you were working to listen for the pile up, then switching to another beam to try to work you. Usually it didn't help because there just wasn't any open path to Asia and Europe. If we can't hear the stations you are working, we don't know where you are listening. That left the only option, follow your instructions.
VE6PDB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »

Is that 5KHz?? I'm new to this Smiley
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »

Is that 5KHz??

Yes it is 5 KHz

I try and slip a little above the pileup if I don't have a loud signal.

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: