The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Field Logging computer with Pi?  (Read 33554 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »

i am curious, has anyone built up a Raspberry Pi computer for field logging. Maybe field day? NPOTA maybe?

They sell a small screen and keyboard. A portable mouse doesn't take up much more room. The Pi powers from USB, so a low power, in the field logging computer?  I just got two Pi's and am thinking about trying this . . . In google search, I haven't run across this specifically yet.

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »

CQRlog has a build in the Raspian depositories. Screenshots look good. Good reviews over in the review section of eham. I'm running my Pis headless or I'll give it a once-over.

https://www.cqrlog.com

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »

CQRlog has a build in the Raspian depositories. Screenshots look good. Good reviews over in the review section of eham. I'm running my Pis headless or I'll give it a once-over.

https://www.cqrlog.com

I'll have to try and install it. I am also running my Pi's headless right now but can VNC into them for the graphical interface.

YT9TP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 03:05:51 AM »

I find that the critical item for field logging is screen. It is hard to find device that has screen easily readable outdoors.

I guess solution is in e-Ink screens.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »

I find that the critical item for field logging is screen. It is hard to find device that has screen easily readable outdoors.

I guess solution is in e-Ink screens.

Here is a link with instructions on how to convert a Kindle DX to a monitor: http://www.pcworld.com/article/259582/how_to_use_a_kindle_dx_as_a_pc_display.html

The Kindle DX models tend to go for a higher price on eBay than even new paper white versions; partly due to their free 3G and the fact that they can be "unlocked". Some of the other Kindle models can also be jailbroken and there are ways to "tether" them via the 3G link. You'd have to do this sparingly as Amazon pays for that link and could possible "brick" a device that abuses it; but a time standard for JT-modes would probably be ok.

There is quite a lot to recommend this, actually.

There are some e-ink monitors out there but they aren't cheap.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: