The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-891  (Read 32088 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 05:39:48 AM »

I'd like to know if the hf performance is really that much better without including vhf/uhf. It will be interesting to see if that is a marketing mistake or not.

As it stands, there is no direct equivalent "shack in a box" machine to compare it with

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
M6NAE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 06:50:16 AM »

Hi.
i have had the yaesu ft-891 now for over 1 week.. great dsp..but to much gives you the waterfall sound on the audio..notch filter is great and really does work...
you can interface the ldg atu to work with the ft891 you must change menu 16-15 (Tuner Select) to LAMP. For both use the ALC/REM jack (red end to radio).
the radio has a bright display..but i think if yaesu had done a shack in a box radio like the 857d ..it would be loved by all hams.
but just hf+6...it's a great radio ...but shame on you yaesu for no 144mhz/430mhz. it would have been a hit with all..
i have had good tx audio reports and it has good rx audio...it's nice on the ear's..

in all it was purchased as a back up hf set.. the dsp in the 891 is better than the dsp in the ft-450d..

in all a good radio...

7.3 neil m6nae
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 05:41:34 AM »

There is now a firmware update for this radio - I will be installing it today.

FYI - the instructions for installing firmware say to do a "factory reset" which deletes ALL memory and radio settings. But I have a Yaesu FTDX-3000 and FTM-100D digital transceiver which requires the same type of firmware updates, and the instructions say the same thing - but I NEVER do that factory reset afterwards and they always work just fine and it's obvious that the firmware is running because you can see the new feature. In my opinion it's just a CYA step that some person decided they wanted in the instructions.

I've installed many updates on them and have never done that "factory reset". Once the firmware in installed that's what the radio will use upon powering up - IMHO there is no need to "factory reset". I don't know why they have that procedural step because deleting all your memories and settings is a HUGE pain in the a**.

It's up to you how you do it though ...  Roll Eyes

I also recently got the external ant. tuner - FC-50 - and it seems to work very well.  Cheesy
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »

I've already got an FT-857D and an FT-817. Really like them both.
The 891 looked interesting, until I saw it had no VHF/UHF.
I've grown accustomed to having everything in one box, and really like that.
So no 891 for me. If I needed a radio right now, I'd buy another FT-857D.

Now what does look interesting, is the FT-991A. That has everything PLUS System Fusion built in.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »

I recently got an 891 and it plays well, in fact surprisingly better than my Icom 7200.  Having only HF is fine with me since I use the disposable Chinese stuff for VHF and UHF.  I never did like an all in one radio.
Art
EA8AUW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »

Hi !

This radio have any hidden menu ?
for example: for continued frecuency or power out plus 100 W.

I suppose, that for RTTY mode, it possible using the DSP for narrow until 250Hz ? for operate in this mode.... I am asking this because have not seen any optional filter.

Thanks and 73

EA8AUW - Edu.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: