The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5RV Jr. require balun????  (Read 3817 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:54:13 AM »

I have acquired a G5RV Jr. antenna, because of my space limitations.  I use a Palstar AT1KP tuner, but never operate above 100-watts.

Since this antenna, already comes assembled, is a balum (sp) required for its operation?Huh

Ken KC8Y

N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »

Morning Ken, No the antenna is designed to work with out a balun. What one has to remember about the G5RV antenna is it is a compromise between space and bandwidth. The antenna will work best if put up as a flat top, with the feed line / matching cable hanging straight down. This means getting it a high as possible. It can be used as a slopper, but the feed line / matching cable must be keep at 90 deg to the antenna to get the best performance. Using a tuner will allow you to get the best out of it. You could use one if you want to. One of the radio clubs I belong to uses one each year at a local lighthouse event. We use it as a slopper and use a radio with a tuner built in. No issues, and it works well. So get it up high, and see how it plays. 
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

Thanks for your reply/info, N2LXM.

My G5RV will be about 25-ft high and the dipole will be horizontal.  The antenna will be close to 40-ft away from the house (have a side lot).  I plan to use the tuner.  It has much internal inductance & capacitance to cover bands 160-to-6 meters, with having an internal relay & balum.

Ken KC8Y
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »

Sorry, forgot this:

Only plan to operate 40-thru-10m

Ken KC8Y
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:09:11 PM »

It's BALUN.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 03:12:18 AM »

The original used the 34 feet of open wire line hanging down and then 75ohm twin feeder to the rig, running along the ground. With the advent of VHF TV, 75 ohm coax got used. As it originally got laid along the ground from the end of the open wire line, it didn't radiate much.

But with coax feed, a current balun at the end of the open wire line would be a good idea.
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »

I use the G5RV Jr. To operate you need at least 70 feet of coax between the rig and the connector at the end of the twin lead. Also you have to use an antenna tuner. All of this is in the instructions supplied by the antenna manufacture. Never tried the antenna without the tuner. The antenna works well installed as an inverted v on a fiberglass mast. The center of the antenna is up at around 27 feet above the ground. The antenna should work well for you as assembled by the manufacture.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:26:22 PM by W2UIS » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »

The original used the 34 feet of open wire line hanging down and then 75ohm twin feeder to the rig, running along the ground. With the advent of VHF TV, 75 ohm coax got used. As it originally got laid along the ground from the end of the open wire line, it didn't radiate much.

But with coax feed, a current balun at the end of the open wire line would be a good idea.
I use a 1:1 at the end of the feed line of my full sized G5RV. Works very well on 20 and 12; not too terrible on 80 and 40 - but I have other (resonant) antennas for those two lower bands and use them instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: