The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great CW Practice Weekend - Field Day!  (Read 5180 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:23:33 AM »

The bands will be taken over this weekend with ARRL Field Day, starting Saturday 25 June at 1800Z. There will be lots of slow to medium speed CW opportunities - still some speedsters, but much lower average code speed than an actual contest.

The rules for Field Day are here.

Field Day is all about maintaining the ability to operate if some disaster took out power and your usual operating equipment. But there are two entrant classes for home stations:

• Class D - just use your home station and commercial power
  • Class E - use your home station with emergency power

Or you can join an existing Field Day group operation - the ARRL Field Day operation locator site to find one near you is here.

Stations will send their operating class and ARRL/RAC section, no RST needed:

CQ FD K3TN FD
WA3SEE
WA3SEE 1A MDC
1D OH
TU K3TN

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »

I absolutely LOVE running CW at Field Day.
Bencher paddles, keyer in the rig, and logging by hand.

Big fun!

And, there are only three more shopping days until Field Day!

73 de N8AUC
Eric
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:39 AM »

Can anyone tell me why the date of Field day is not the same in all 3 IARU regions? Here in region 1 Field day is in september.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »

I may operate 1E.  CW only.  Also thinking about having some remote cw ops take turns operating.  I'm guessing that is allowed ?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »

I'm going to be 1E as well... with the MP-1 mounted on the chain link fence on one antenna output and an EFHF on the other antenna output of the K2. Should be interesting.

Hopefully 20M will be good. But I can live with 30M if I have to. I guess....

All CW all the time. Cheesy

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:18:59 AM »

No FD operation on 30M!

If 20 stays stinko, 40M is usually the money band and then 80M after darkness.

CW gets you more points, but 2 of our 4 operators are usually SSB only so we will have both.

Not sure which call we will use: WA3SEE (who is supplying the rig this year) or K3TN, much easier to send on CW!

John K3TN
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:01:38 AM »

Not sure which call we will use: WA3SEE (who is supplying the rig this year) or K3TN, much easier to send on CW!
If I may say so, as the owner of VK5EEE, it is an awful call sign for contests and DX, no matter that these callsigns are fun to use and send, but practically speaking a great disadvantage. K3TN will result in far fewer receiving errors and clarifications! So it's not that VK5EEE and WA3SEE are not easy to send on CW, they are, but hard to RECEIVE from further away Cheesy but fun to send WA3SEE ESE EE or WA3SEE HEE and same with VK5EEE... so maybe my Comrade WA3SEE will concur from his own experience in working DX? Smiley

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:58:33 AM »

Oop... I forgot no contests on 30M. Shows you how much contesting *I* do. LOL

I am also less than perfectly clear about what my reply will be operating 1E in WA state. Looking forward to it, however. I suspect that just a few minutes of monitoring 40m will give me a clue.

I agree with VK3EEE that copying a callsign with a lot of dits in it is problematic in QSB, QRM and QRN. I have encountered difficulties in my call regarding that single "E". My best QRP contact kept insisting that my callsign was K7AXJ and that robs me from a QSL (if I cared that much about QSLs).

The weather here should be nice with a high of 81F, lots of sunshine, not much wind. I have the MFJ 17' vertical mounted on the chain link fence no more than 6' east of the edge of a big lake and about 8' above it and cut-to-tune radials behind it.

My K2 has the internal automatice tuner with two antenna connections. Just a push of the button and I could be on my end-fed.

Lithiums charged up and the K2 ready (except that the DSP module won't be installed yet),

I figure iced tea and hot dogs (Costco's best) and a nice chair in the shade but with a good view of the bikini-clad girls going by on the speedboats headed to the sandy beaches south of me. The boats have to cuddle up to my side of the lake in order to get under the I-90 freeway overpass just 3 blocks away. Cheesy

Life is goooooood. Smiley

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »

VK5EEE  no worries you are the only VK5 in Super check.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:29:23 AM »

We ended up using our Patapsco Valley Outdoor Society club call, which is mostly used for WPX Contests: KK3TN.

Two years ago we made the mistake of using another op's (K3YDX) club call - K3HHH, or as I call it "K3 lotta dits"

John K3TN
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »

You definitely get some good practice at Field Day. Back when I was a Novice (maybe I had just upgraded to Tech?) in 1988 I took part in my first field day, I was 14 at the time. My friends and I pretty much manned that tent 24 hours and used mostly CW. A week or so later I went to go for my General. I don't remember if I passed the written but I easily passed the 13wpm test. The instructor asked if I wanted to try for my 20wpm. I figured why not? Well, I passed! Then the pressure was on to get to Extra before the CSCE ran out which I just barely made it.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »

I really enjoyed FD this year and pounded out about 500 contacts.  It didn't matter if the ops were good or just learning.  The only thing that pissed me off were the stations that were sending about 30.  This was FD not sweeps.
Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: