Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to report manufacturer of illegal CB amps  (Read 1399 times)
KD7UGY

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but I stumbled across a bunch of information about one of the biggest builders of illegal CB amps on the east coast and would like to report my findings but I don't know where to go.
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:32:16 PM »

Good, go get them.

Start with this page:   http://www.fcc.gov/eb/

Gary n2vww
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:44:21 PM »

email "Riley Hollingsworth" at the Fcc rholling@fcc.gov

he love to hear about it
K7PWR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »

Give me a break!  too many people worrying about others..It must be nice to have too much time on your hands. Get a life!
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:22 AM »

"It must be nice to have too much time on your hands. Get a life! "

Yet you take time out of your day to respond to his thread.  Looks like you've got too much time on YOUR hands, too.
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »

Ok, I confess.  I own a Texas Star Outcom OPA 202, powerful wide band 160 watt AM!  As I previously confessed to in another message thread.  

It's not plugged in, not connected to anything, gathering dust.
 Uh, excuse me.  Gotta go, there's loud knocking at the door.

Uh, oh.  
K4VVX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:29:51 AM »

Hang in there Brett.  You've got the high moral ground here.  I'am a little sensitive about this subject too. I suspect it is a bigger problem that we can solve, but we've got to start somewhere. Don't let the negative comments get to you.  They are probably coming from people who grew up(?)looking the other way, because that's all they know.  Perfectly normal to them, but that doesn't get rid of the problem. I have refused many times to "repair" them even for friends. On two occassion, I did agree to "look at it".  I assured each of them that if I worked on it, it would never work on 11 meters again. They took them back home, just like they brought them. There should be consequences involved, good or bad when ever some one makes a concious decision to break the law.  Keep up the good work, Brett, just be careful who you trust.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »

I stumbled across a bunch of information about one of the biggest builders of illegal CB amps on the east coast
==========

I'm only playing "Devil's Advocate," but I wonder what information you have, and how you "stumbled upon it."

More importantly, WHERE is this manufacturer shipping the equipment, and who is actually SELLING the equipment to the public?
    I'd like to see every manufacturer and especially SELLER of illegal equipment drawn and quartered, (or at least hooked up the the output of their own equipment for a few hours,) but that's not exactly legal, either.
    But just what proof do you have ?  Reporting to the FCC (aka Riley Hollingsworth) is fine, but unless you can back up claims with documentable and provable facts, it's best to refrain until you do have provable evidence.
    It's also possible the FCC is already aware of "one of the biggest builders of illegal CB amps on the east coast" and will eventually take action.  Slowly but surely, the FCC IS cracking down on the illegal markets.  But (IMHO) the biggest offenders are those that sell to the public, not just the manufacturers.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »

SCUBA on March 21, 2007         Ok, I confess. I own a Texas Star Outcom OPA 202, powerful wide band 160 watt AM! As I previously confessed to in another message thread.

It's not plugged in, not connected to anything, gathering dust.
Uh, excuse me. Gotta go, there's loud knocking at the door.

Uh, oh.
======================

Wish you had a callsign...
    I'm not familiar with that particular piece of equipment, or what frequency(s) it is capable of,  BUT:

Posession or wnership of such a piece of equipment (whether wise or foolish is a different matter) is NOT illegal for a licensed Amateur Radio Operator.  It IS LEGAL to modify it to operate on any Amateur frequency(s) where AM is allowed, AND your license allows privileges there.

If you do NOT posess a license issued by the FCC, posession (particularly for Class "D" CB frequency capable equipment)could be considered "de facto" use by the FCC, whether the equipment is actually connected or not.  That's contained in 47CFR95, not Part 97, since it does not actually apply to Amateurs, but rather applies to Part 95 Services, which includes CB, GMRS, FRS, MURS.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:46:34 AM »

"Give me a break! Too many people worrying about others ... "
Very sad.  
People trying to report unusual activites or "worrying about others" were ignored in 2001 (as documented in the 9/11 Commission Report) -- and the Spetember 11 events happen.  
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »

Hi WA9SVD.

RE:
> If you do NOT posess a license issued by the FCC, posession
> (particularly for Class "D" CB frequency capable equipment)
> could be considered "de facto" use by the FCC,
> whether the equipment is actually connected or not.

Interesting.  So, does this interpret to mean that if such a linear amp is possessed by an unlicensed individual, that such an individual is in possession of "contraband?"  (where the linear becomes contraband if wrongfully possessed)

Have any cases of "possession of" or "unauthorized possession of"  such linears gone to trial (or before a federal magistrate)?  If so what were the judgements or verdicts rendered?  

73s
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »

Greg, that's hitting the old nail right on the head. Anyone that would run illegal on cb will do the same on the hambands. Amateur radio certainly does'nt need more of them either. Just keep telling it like it is om. 73 John WR8D
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »

Scuba you could look at that like this. rf amplifiers are illegal to manufacture for use on the cb band. They are not type accepted by the fcc and they are contraband. A few years ago at one of the major hamfests some cbers were in the fleamarket and one guy bought an illegal cb amplifier. We see that trash equiptment at all the fests... Fcc agents were just sitting back watching to see what would happen. Soon as the money was exchanged they stepped in and destroyed the cb amp right there on the spot with a sledge hammer. They fined the guy that sold it too. The guy that bought it got off easy, they just destroyed it before his eyes. The article was in all the amateur magazines also.

Riley is only one man trying to do a monster job also. We forget he's involved with all aspects of communication here in the USA, and not just amateur radio. He will act on things if we only bring them to his attention. I can state this as a fact due to my personal experiance with the fcc on local problems involving amateur radio.

Well i guess that should do it for all the hoot'n and holler'n about cb amplifiers.

John WR8D

KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »

WA9SVD writes "Posession or wnership of such a piece of equipment (whether wise or foolish is a different matter) is NOT illegal for a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. It IS LEGAL to modify it to operate on any Amateur frequency(s) where AM is allowed, AND your license allows privileges there."

I suspect there is more to your statement than appears but to chastize someone (callsign or not) with incorrect information seems kinda of foolish to me?

How can one modify a device and not possess it? Unless of course they were publishing the steps needed to modify it. That would seem to be more of a threat for illegal use than actually just owning it and not using it?

I would draw from Mr. Scuba's statements that he was trying to be sarchastic about the topic at hand Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: