The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: qrz.com must be a member to comment anymore.  (Read 33241 times)
AC4BB

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

Seems that at QRZ.com as of this afternoon you must be a subscriber to use the threads any longer.

Roll Eyes
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »

About the dumbest thing one can do, pay to talk. or is that pay to type?
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »

The RCC II (formerly) is open only to subscribers anymore.   The less popular threads are still free  but,  looks like they lost it on sense.   I'm going to burn up the phone lines come tomorrow to let them know how crazy it's gotten. I'm sure they'll be interested to find out?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »

It's AA7BQ's servers.  And his forums.  It is a privately owned system.  He can run them however he chooses.

If you don't like Fred's choices (and I'm not suggesting that you should), go elsewhere.  There are many other places... like here.

Personally, I think it was a poor decision, and making some of the forums subscriber-only will backfire on them.  But... my opinion wasn't asked, and it is his system.
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »

I sure hope it does shoot them in the foot.  Maybe they'll "Subscribers" we some of the biggest agitators
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »

I've noticed it is only their "Just talking" forum.. all of the ham radio specific forums are still open to anyone.
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »

The old "Rag Chew" section encompassed a lot of topics and attracted a lot of people.
  Some of those topics may have steered people to other sections.
 Either way not it's not very enjoyable to only be allowed to play on one side of the playground.
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

Seems that at QRZ.com as of this afternoon you must be a subscriber to use the threads any longer.
 Roll Eyes

Only the unrestricted-subject section is subscriber-only. The site owner posted the following yesterday:

"Today we're starting our first subscriber-only forum called Just Talking. This forum was created to replace our older Rag Chew forums with a new offering that satisfies a number of needs.

"Many will ask: Why subscriber-only? We have made this forum subscriber-only in an effort to foster a greater atmosphere of respect among the users. All too often we found that those with no particular "skin in the game" were the most prolific posters, and often participated with little or no regard to their investment in the site. More people have been banned in the RC areas than anywhere else..."
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »

If you look at their Top posting members. the person with second most post is a subscriber and has been banned the most. Roll Eyes

AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Already getting feedback from advertisers that didn't know non subscribers were being excluded from RCC.. I pointed out a simple fact  ham members see their ad's subscribers do not.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »

It's AA7BQ's servers.  And his forums.  It is a privately owned system.  He can run them however he chooses.

If you don't like Fred's choices (and I'm not suggesting that you should), go elsewhere.  There are many other places... like here.

Personally, I think it was a poor decision, and making some of the forums subscriber-only will backfire on them.  But... my opinion wasn't asked, and it is his system.

I  own a car too but if,it runs out of gas it doesn't run anymore either.
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »

one thread locked in less than 24 hours for their new playground.
  Shall we keep an IB4TL count for them?
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »

one thread locked in less than 24 hours for their new playground.
  Shall we keep an IB4TL count for them?

Been on the phone all morning.

Seems like the no politics rule is out of the window too?

I really truly love the notice they didn't give to the ham members to give a window of opportunity to subscribe.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:32:47 PM by AC4BB » Logged
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »

Yup the "limited" political discussion is being thoroughly abused
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »

Yup the "limited" political discussion is being thoroughly abused
Fred's site;

Fred's rules;

Fred's mess to deal with.